Home

Surfactant suggestions

Posted By: midlander

Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 02:00 AM

Getting ready to do a little spraying in a couple weeks and was wondering what you have used in the past for surfactants. I have used Dawn soap with some level of service success. I know there are commercial options available, but hoping to avoid the high cost associated with some of them. What has worked for you?
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 02:42 AM

Following
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 02:57 AM

Are you talking about surfactants as an additive to herbicides?
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 03:06 AM

I use dawn with round-up and 2-4-D as a surfactant.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 03:32 AM

Should be able to get a good reasonable priced one through a turf place
Posted By: mutt

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 04:00 AM

I havent used it, but I watch "the lawn care nut" on youtube and he suggested tear free baby shampoo in a video o watched.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 04:06 AM

I use dish soap, not Dawn though, cheap stuff works. Just helps keep what you’re spraying stuck to the leaves. My local MFA guy told me about it. it’s what he uses. I know several others that do too.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 05:21 AM

A small amount of dish soap and alcohol does a good job of reducing surface tension of water droplets.
Posted By: John C

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 09:14 AM

I’ve used nonioninic 80/20 I think and crop oil. Really depends on what I’m spraying and what is being sprayed. As always read the herbicide label and follow it carefully to get the best results.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 09:30 AM

2tablespoon dish soap, 2 tablespoon vegetable oil added into one gallon of water
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 10:22 AM

If your spraying glyphosate you need to read the label and see if it all ready has a surfactant added to it . Another thing is don't over spray with a hand sprayer til the spray runs off. Plants have hairs on them and if you drown them then its not doing any good. The main thing with any glyphosate is to add a spray grade ammonium sulfate to get your water right, esp. hard water. If mixing herbicides adding oil will cause the glyphosate to antagonize. My self I don't like water with chlorine in it.

If using brush killer like triclopyr, oil or even diesel is necessary.

Just must opinion with a little experience which after the last couple months I coming to the conclusion me or the world one is out of whack or maybe both, lol.

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
A small amount of dish soap and alcohol does a good job of reducing surface tension of water droplets.

Had not heard of the alcohol before, thanks...

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
2tablespoon dish soap, 2 tablespoon vegetable oil added into one gallon of water

Doesn't seem like the oil would play well with water, but it must. Thanks

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Should be able to get a good reasonable priced one through a turf place

You might be right, but if I can find an alternative home solution that is safe and effective, id rather do that. Did I mention that I might be a bit of a cheapskate ..?
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 11:44 AM

Depends what you're spraying. There are different types of surfactants. You've already listed your options, soap or a real surfactant. Soap helps because it has surfactants added, but it's no where near as effective as a commercial surfactant. Nothing you mix up at home for pennyies is going to be as effective, that why they make commercial surfactants. Just depends what it's worth to you.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 03:42 PM

I've looked into this before....a lot of people recommend a little dish soap cause it sort off works. None of the manufacturers ,farming co'ops, or pro type applicators that I could find recommend it, instead they say to use commercial surfactants, but to beware if the product your using doesn't already have it in the product.
The chemistry was explained and I can't remember it anyway.

Anyhow, I still use a tiny amount of dish soap, for the amount I spray buying a dedicated surfactant doesn't pay..
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/15/20 03:57 PM

Surfactants work by breaking up the waxy surface on the leaves of the plant ( ie surface tension ) when you spray a plant with water or any thing else notice how it beads up? Surfactant lets those drops spread out and be absorbed by the plant . Plants have this to prevent moister loss and to protect them selves, also don't mix too heavy as some plants will shut down parts that are damaged to protect them selves if the are injured ( burned ) to protect the main body.

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/16/20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Surfactants work by breaking up the waxy surface on the leaves of the plant ( ie surface tension ) when you spray a plant with water or any thing else notice how it beads up? Surfactant lets those drops spread out and be absorbed by the plant . Plants have this to prevent moister loss and to protect them selves, also don't mix too heavy as some plants will shut down parts that are damaged to protect them selves if the are injured ( burned ) to protect the main body.

Wrong. Surfactants break surface tension of the water in the spray mix.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/16/20 04:05 PM

You didn’t say how much a little spraying is ! 2.5 gal at a time , 20 gal , or a hundred gallon. Nor did you say what you intended to spray or what chemical you were going to use . Not to bust your chops but these are important details !

Re: Surfactant suggestions - 04/16/20 08:53 PM

^^^ Very true. Generally you will want to read the label on whatever chemical you are using and see what type of adjuvant they recommend.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums