Home

Anybody here hunt fossils?

Posted By: lumberjack391

Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/15/20 03:56 PM

Im stuck here in PA with ferns and shells, and the occasional trilobite. If you do post some pictures of your finds. If I ever figure out how to down size my pictures I will add some.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/15/20 03:58 PM

My grandpa was a huge rock hound and had quite the fossil collection. No idea what happened to it when he passed.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/15/20 04:45 PM

My missus saw she don't have to hunt them .... she married one
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/15/20 05:27 PM

Not too many fossils but my petrified wood collection is pretty jam up!
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/15/20 05:43 PM

Was. on cross country trip, Rosesomthing Tx. Stretching my legs walking down a dry creek bed came upon a snail shell imbedded in the bed rock of the creek bed, then I noticed another and another about a dozen or so.
The neat thing about it was the shells/ fossils were all about three feet in diameter. Probably some kind of
Nautilus like critter. Looked like they would’ve weighed over a hundred pounds live weight.
Posted By: mink44

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/15/20 07:06 PM

Grew up close to an old stone quarry. Fossils were everywhere around there. Had a big collection when I was a kid. Even did a presentation in school with them. But that was 40 some years ago. Always found them interesting.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/16/20 02:07 AM

See lots of fossils everyday where I work, surface coal mine
Posted By: obaro

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/16/20 02:17 AM

We have a lot of chalk rock formations in this area, lots of sharks teeth and fossil fish have been found. Pretty normal to find layers of small shells in them.
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/16/20 02:36 AM

When I lived in Charleston SC I used to SCUBA dive the blackwater rivers for fossils, Found lots of Megladon teeth, horse teeth, mastadon teeth, mastadon vertabrae, whale earbones, arrowheads, and pre and post civil war bottles. It was fun but you were diving with gators.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/16/20 02:44 AM

I collect and polish Agate from all over. I like to go to Lake Superior and look for Lake Superior Agates on the beach. I pick up a lot of other cool looking rocks and polish them too.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/16/20 03:00 AM

We have areas in Wyoming everything from ferns to whole dinosaurs. I find stuff all the time lots or marine stuff western state like wy, mt and ut are covered with the stuff.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Anybody here hunt fossils? - 04/16/20 03:34 AM

Used to see a lot working in a quarry in south east Iowa. Favorite was the petrified coral. It was redish pink.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums