Home

Gulo Book

Posted By: Lugnut

Gulo Book - 04/19/20 07:36 PM

My copy of Jack Whitman’s The Last Hunt arrived two days ago. I have a few books to read before I get to it but I am looking forward to it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 07:40 PM

I found it on Amazon and will order it soon!

Chris
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 07:51 PM

That's a great book. You will have a hard time putting it down.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 07:53 PM

Looks good.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 08:04 PM

Read it last week,good read.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 09:28 PM

I did not know he wrote one. Just ordered it. Thanks for posting about it. Now if we could get that rascal to write one about his trapping adventures and some of his methods!!!!

Mac
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 09:30 PM

It's super good. I bought it about a month ago, it's really good. I read it at work, and then read it to the kids too.
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mac
I did not know he wrote one. Just ordered it. Thanks for posting about it. Now if we could get that rascal to write one about his trapping adventures and some of his methods!!!!

Mac

Agreed.....I'd love to read about Jack's trapping adventures! "The Last Hunt" is in my 'to read' stack here at home, hope to get to it soon!
Posted By: white17

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mac

Mac

I don't think it's a secret but....there is a biography close to completion
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 10:25 PM

Great book, read it about a month and a half ago, a friend read it and really liked it, now it's passed down the line.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 10:33 PM

Great book well worth the pennies it costs.....
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Mac

Mac

Yes. Can't wait to complete my collection with that one.

Here is another from the man himself...life stories put to the music of poetry....a feel much like Robert Service .

I read chapters at a time every evening of The Last Hunt. It is hard to put it down. Also, in one's breathless anticipation to find out what happens next in his adventures, please resist the urge to speed up in reading . I had to continually rein myself back in not going too fast. The details in between are as tasty as the main events.

Well done in all you do , Jack.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 10:55 PM

Thanks Sharon! I ordered Poetic Injustice as well!

Chris
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 11:22 PM

Man sure wish I could read a whole book for once. 125
Pages would take me months lol
I think Ill order it for my brother in law he likes outdoor
Writings.

Re: Gulo Book - 04/19/20 11:53 PM

Whte writes: I don't think it's a secret but....there is a biography close to completion

Well by gosh, I did not know about it!
Thanks to all that have shared on this thread, and to Gulo for writing.
(I still think your take on trapping methods would be awesome!)

Re: Gulo Book - 06/24/20 09:34 PM

I finished it a while ago and there's lots I'd like to say but I don't want to spoil it for other readers so I'll just say it was a great read.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Gulo Book - 06/24/20 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Mac

Mac

Oh my goodness, this will probably be Tman suicide but I'm feelin pretty honest tonight. I sure hope his bio is better than the knife I got from him. It was horrible and I feel bad for knocking one of our own but the truth is at the front tonight. Sorry y'all, that knife was horribly scratched and dull.

Re: Gulo Book - 06/24/20 10:44 PM

Did you take you're issue up with Jack privately?

I purchased three of his knives and am completely satisfied with them.

Re: Gulo Book - 06/24/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

I purchased three of his knives and an completely satisfied with them.

Good for you!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22

Oh my goodness, this will probably be Tman suicide but I'm feelin pretty honest tonight. I sure hope his bio is better than the knife I got from him. It was horrible and I feel bad for knocking one of our own but the truth is at the front tonight. Sorry y'all, that knife was horribly scratched and dull.

He likely recognized your character from many of your posts. You should probably send him more money for pain and suffering to truly square the deal. smile

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl

He likely recognized your character from many of your posts. You should probably send him more money for pain and suffering to truly square the deal. smile

Pot callin the Kettle black ya knothead lol. Your a drive by who offers nothing.

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 12:58 AM

That's a super good book. I read it twice, once for myself, and once for the boys, and they loved it too.

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

I purchased three of his knives and am completely satisfied with them.

I love my knives from Jack. All perfect and gorgeous. I use them even in my art and for many other things.

A truly talented amazing person who has contributed so much to us all in so many subjects. A good friend whom I appreciate very much.
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
That's a super good book. I read it twice, once for myself, and once for the boys, and they loved it too.

What a great idea. I think I'll read my copy to my oldest before bed, a chapter at a time.
Looking forward to that autobiography too.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 12:35 PM

Catch22 - I'm truly sorry you were not happy with your knife. A simple PM and I would have made it right by sending you a replacement or returning your money. I don't want unhappy customers, but I need to know if you are unhappy, and I heard nothing (until now). A replacement knife is on its way, as I still have your mailing address. Let me know if you're still not happy.

Any other knife purchasers - Please let me know if you're not satisfied with your knife.

Book purchasers - Thank you folks for purchasing and reading "The Last Hunt" and/or "Poetic Injustice". They were fun to put together and I'm happy to hear that folks get a kick out of reading them. I'm not home much this summer as I'm once again wolf trapping for a research project, but every 2 weeks I do get home for a couple days and I catch up on Trapperman forums and any PMs I might have. The newest book "WILD LIFE - The Evolution and Misadventures of a Naturalist" is still in the editing stage, and won't be back from the publisher for at least another 4 months (after my summer wolfing is over).

I hope each and every one of you out there are having a great summer!

Jack
Posted By: hippie

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 01:31 PM

Now that's a class act right there. Good to see but not surprised. smile

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 01:58 PM

Gulo is always on the cutting edge !
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 02:06 PM

Just reading that post makes me think a book and/or a knife From gulo is in my future

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 02:08 PM

Class act indeed . grin An intelligent, mature , kind person who is worth the bandwidth to focus on.

Since all knives will need sharpening eventually, I'll need to find a good sharpener when they will need a touch up. They are fantastic and sharp still with all I have done with them so far.

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 04:48 PM

Where does one go about purchasing a knife from gulo?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 04:51 PM

I'll bet a pm will hook you up with one.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 05:21 PM

Thanks for posting. I’m ordering one today
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 05:31 PM

I just bought your book! I can’t wait to start reading it! Jon
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 06:14 PM

For those of you contacting Jack about his knives, be sure to read his post where he says he is out of town a lot trapping wolves and only gets home every couple of weeks. He will be in touch with you as soon as he can. No need to worry or complain.

I better not see any posts complaining that Jack isn’t answering your PMs!!!! You were warned. smile

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 06:40 PM

"Oh my goodness, this will probably be Tman suicide but I'm feelin pretty honest tonight. I sure hope his bio is better than the knife I got from him. It was horrible and I feel bad for knocking one of our own but the truth is at the front tonight. Sorry y'all, that knife was horribly scratched and dull."

It is obvious that you really feel bad for bad mouthing "one of our own"

I believe if I had an issue with a product I would not be belly aching, trying to gain attention and run down a mans reputation on a forum. I believe I would contact the man and ask some questions and perhaps share my displeasure with the man himself. That is how men behave.

I do not believe I, or most other men, would attempt to garner a bit of pleasure by crapping on someone, as most adults would realize that is just plain the wrong way to go about things.
As for one of our own, don't put yourself in Jack's class.
Just my thoughts.

Mac

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 10:33 PM

What a family here at Trapperman! What a good, good family.....

Jack
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 10:39 PM

Jack, the boys love the 2 I got from you...
I will get me 1...

Donnie
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 10:47 PM

Jack, got the book and all 3 knives, could not be happier with your work. Catch 22,man up and talk to a person directly if you have a problem!

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 11:04 PM

Indeed, Jack, the Tman Tribe is so proud of you , and are fortunate to have you as a delightful member . All your work in many talents , are consistent , top quality.

We have your 6.

Mac, very well articulated. Love your choice of words.

That life story currently being in edit is having many of us on the edge of our seats in anticipation.

But we all know, that life's most cherished goals take time and are worth every mile in the wait.

There is a saying that I have appreciated ... " Expectation postponed is making the heart sick, but the desire realized, is a tree of life ."

Since you still have many wonderful trails to experience, you may well see the need for a volume II , in time . We will wait wink
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Gulo Book - 06/25/20 11:13 PM

I think a T-man member is crying out for help, by lashing out at some legendary trappers.
Praying they find relief from their own personal demons.
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by dkrug
I think a T-man member is crying out for help, by lashing out at some legendary trappers.

Why so deep ?
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Artrapper16
Originally Posted by dkrug

Why so deep ?

Well it's a deep subject.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 03:41 AM

Pot callin the Kettle black ya knothead lol. Your a drive by who offers nothing.

How about I offer you a spelling lesson. "you're" would be the correct spelling you couldn't come up with, ya pickle smoocher. smile

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 03:34 PM

Lugnut and many others -

Thanks to each of you for reading the book and posting comments. For decades, I tired of reading books that were largely filler (most authors these days seem to think a novel needs to be 500 pages) and were predictable (the good guy always wins). I wanted to spin a yarn that was believable, no drawn-out filler, and not entirely predictable. Was I successful?

Jack

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 03:58 PM

Not entirely predictable at all !! The only thing missing was the girlfriend getting swept away in the standing waves of the Delta River in front of Black Rapids Roadhouse !! laugh

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 04:04 PM

Full of twists and turns in the adventures of the life of the tough ones grin

You accomplished your goal in success !

Though, in life, there still are happy endings ,long lived bush pilots, love found at last, I do love those , always will grin

Regardless, the mind and imaginations of Jackson W. are in a league of their own and appreciated by us , of the uniqueness of the man . Nothing of that rye...er wry humour censored at all . That is what we love about you wink

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Lugnut and many others -

Thanks to each of you for reading the book and posting comments. For decades, I tired of reading books that were largely filler (most authors these days seem to think a novel needs to be 500 pages) and were predictable (the good guy always wins). I wanted to spin a yarn that was believable, no drawn-out filler, and not entirely predictable. Was I successful?

Jack

It's hard to discuss without spoiling it for those who haven't yet read it. But since you ask...

It was completely believable and had a few surprises, shocking moments actually. And your ending really ticked me off! I think I muttered something like, "You got to be freaking kidding me, son of a (female dog)." It's a good book that can elicit that kind of response from me.

I keep the good books in my library pretty much forever. I like them to be hardcover so they withstand the test of time. I wish yours was available in hardcover.

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 05:14 PM

grin Lugnut, my response was similar, though in sad pleading tones grin I told Jack that when I was last visiting them and enjoying their company.

We wouldn't feel that way, if we were not thoroughly involved and feeling close to the book characters , so for our Gulo, that is the compliment that every author loves to see.

I had an ending I felt like adding , and if memory serves me right , himself did also, but as is the acknowledgement of the author, he is master of his orchestra , and we all ride the train with him cool

I have his book online , so that is another option for you , which , like a hardback, also stays as new over time in digital format.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 06:18 PM

Sharon, how can I get it online ?
Found it...

Donnie

Re: Gulo Book - 06/26/20 06:48 PM

Donnie, glad you found it ! Keep track of that link in case he adds to that option .

I have a Kindle app on both of my Macs that brings up all my library online. Even takes you to the page you left off , like a bookmarker.

What is so enjoyable is to read these stories aloud to the one you love, on cold winter nights , with a warm fire and your beverage of choice.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums