Home

pressure canners

Posted By: taser

pressure canners - 04/21/20 08:23 PM

pretty sure I asked this same question a couple year back but hey lets rehash it grin

what brand do you all prefer??

im looking at the all-american 21 quart......would you go bigger?

will be doing venison and fish.....
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 08:27 PM

No sense in going bigger than what the burner on your stove can handle. I'm somewhat of a collector for some reason....I think I have 7-8 canners, including one that will do half gallon jars.
The one I use does 8 pints and maybe 7 quarts at a time.

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 08:41 PM

any worries about using a glasstop stove??
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 08:50 PM

I have a bigger canner, Presto canner that works fine. It will do 7 Qts or about 16 pints at a time. Although, not recommended, I have used on a glass top stove with no issues.

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I have a bigger canner, Presto canner that works fine. It will do 7 Qts or about 16 pints at a time. Although, not recommended, I have used on a glass top stove with no issues.

will a propane "turkey" burner work outside as an option rather than stovetop?? sorry I have no experience with these things at all but have been pondering about it for a while.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 09:01 PM

Propane burner works fine, just don't get distracted from baby sitting the pressure.
Think mine is one bigger than Kecks. Glad I went bigger than I used before.
Meat, fish, vegies, sauce, and beyond.
And I kike that the recipe book is online.
Posted By: VH60

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 09:03 PM

Taser , the turkey burner can work but you would have to keep it out of the wind . I did it outside several times and it was difficult to maintain a steady heat it takes to get it up to steam and then maintaining the correct temperature to keep the pressure at 10 lbs for the required processing time . It was a PITA . It works much better inside . Be careful of too large a canner if you have an oven hood over the stove . Make sure the canner will fit on the stovetop and under the hood .
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 09:04 PM

I use mine with a glasstop stove. no problems. As long as it will fit 7 quart jars at a time it will be fine and plenty big.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 09:17 PM

I have the 30 quart All American. 30 quarts is how much liquid if will hold, not the jar capacity. IIRC, I can do 14 quarts or 19 pints per run. And I do not have a glass top stove. My son has used my canner on his stove that is glass top. It is not recommended but he did not have a problem.

If you are going to can meats with the longer processing times, you will appreciate the extra capacity. It is a long cycle time to get it up to temp, purge the air, processing and cool down time.

I have considered the turkey burner but do not have a place to shield it from the wind.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 09:20 PM

Yeah the cycle time on deer meat is at least 3 hours. Its took me the majority of a day to can one deer which is generally around 21 quarts total. But once its done...its great. Make a meal from scratch in about 20 min.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 10:35 PM

I used a turkey burner in my garage , two of them at a time ,I have glass stove top an crack it Kenmore ,sear I don't use it anymore ,lol

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
I have the 30 quart All American. 30 quarts is how much liquid if will hold, not the jar capacity. IIRC, I can do 14 quarts or 19 pints per run. And I do not have a glass top stove. My son has used my canner on his stove that is glass top. It is not recommended but he did not have a problem.

If you are going to can meats with the longer processing times, you will appreciate the extra capacity. It is a long cycle time to get it up to temp, purge the air, processing and cool down time.

I have considered the turkey burner but do not have a place to shield it from the wind.

Do you stack the jars two deep, with the bottom jars totally immersed?
Posted By: bblwi

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 10:47 PM

I have two. The larger one is a Presto and I can do 7 quarts and 11 pints it states specifically not to use on hot open flame so this one is used on the large electric burner on our glass top stove. The smaller one I use on my turkey cooking burner and that does 7 pints or 4 quarts it is a Granite care.

Bryce
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly

Do you stack the jars two deep, with the bottom jars totally immersed?

There is an aluminum spacer in the bottom, a layer of jars, another spacer and another layer of jars. For veges with a shorter cycle time, I put a little over 2 inches of water with the jars in. For meats with the much longer cycle time, I double the amount of water. Once it starts venting steady, I let it vent for 10 minutes before I put the weight on to start building pressure. That purges the air, replacing it with steam. Not much venting after that. Just want to make sure I have enough water to not run dry and have never had a problem.
Posted By: Finster

Re: pressure canners - 04/21/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by taser
pretty sure I asked this same question a couple year back but hey lets rehash it grin

what brand do you all prefer??

im looking at the all-american 21 quart......would you go bigger?

will be doing venison and fish.....

Only one pressure canner out there worth buying. Pay once and cry once. Best thing going:
https://www.allamericancanner.com/

Re: pressure canners - 04/22/20 12:12 AM

I just pressed the button on that one ………..21 qrt
Posted By: Finster

Re: pressure canners - 04/22/20 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by taser
I just pressed the button on that one ………..21 qrt

The All American? If so, you'll love it. I've had mine about 20-25 years now and it's still unbeatable.

Re: pressure canners - 04/22/20 12:45 PM

Yes the all American..... won’t arrive until June though
Posted By: slydogx

Re: pressure canners - 04/22/20 12:54 PM

We have had a Presto for years and like it. Parts are readily available at most Home Hardware stores for it too which is nice.
You can get free(!) weights for your jiggler from Presto in the USA if you send them a letter requesting it (I think the presto only comes with a gauge which can be unreliable)

Like said above, the manufacturers don't recommend glass stove tops but that is what we've been doing for 10+ years with no issues.

Re: pressure canners - 04/22/20 01:04 PM

I was told that stove manufacturers won't honor warranty if the glass top is broken by the weight of a canner. Otherwise they work fine.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: pressure canners - 04/22/20 01:09 PM

The bigger the caner the heaver they get and the older you get. LOL My wife has three 14 qt.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: pressure canners - 04/22/20 03:49 PM

[Linked Image]

I prefer gas for better control. Here’s a couple of prestos on the ol Coleman.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums