Home

can a presidential canidate get dropped

Posted By: foxkidd44

can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 12:18 PM

can a presidential candidate get dropped at their convention? democrat/republican, even if he /she won all the delegates in the primaries? i'm not an expert on things like that....but been seeing rumours that joe might get whacked at the convention and that Andrew cumuo could get the nod....is this possible? please don't turn this into a sideshow guys....I would like to come back to see intelligent replies instead of seeing this post got the axe.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 12:39 PM

Yes. If I'm not mistaken basically Bernie had the last democratic nomination pretty well wrapped up, but they went with Hillary.

I don't know about the legalities of it with a person who wasn't on the ballot at all though.
Posted By: concrete man

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 12:39 PM

Yes likely anyone know the democrats don't care about the voters Clinton won last time instead of sanders
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 12:40 PM

I'm sure each party has mechanisms to drop a candidate, or choose a replacement in case of incapacitation
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 12:44 PM

I don't believe Primaries are legally binding. The democrat National committee is an independent organization and uses the primary as a "suggestion". ( I think)
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:05 PM

I believe a party can choose whoever it wants as a candidate. The primaries are just to give them an idea of who the people want.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:06 PM

They can go with whomever they want. This Coronavirus is saving Biden as I unbiasedly think the guy has dementia, Alzheimer's, or something.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by elkaholic
Yes. If I'm not mistaken basically Bernie had the last democratic nomination pretty well wrapped up, but they went with Hillary.

I don't know about the legalities of it with a person who wasn't on the ballot at all though.

Beenie didn't have it wrapped up. They did take a state or two away from em but Hillary still won handily. Bernie bid the naked version of the Democrats in office, and nobody wants to see that ugliness nakeecso they voted for someone that has some clothes. That's why everyone bailed to Biden in this primary.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:08 PM

They won't dump Biden unless he allows it to happen or he becomes incapacitated.
Posted By: Posco

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
They can go with whomever they want. This Coronavirus is saving Biden as I unbiasedly think the guy has dementia, Alzheimer's, or something.

Cuomo is getting more press coverage than Biden. They're pushing Cuomo.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:14 PM

Every on knows Bernie would have won if not for all of the other candidates, cept biden, quitting just ahead of Super Tuesday.
Posted By: EdP

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:28 PM

My understanding is that the delegates won in the primaries are obligated to vote for the candidate who won them for the first vote only. If that vote does not result in the requisite number required for nomination, the delegates can vote for whomever they choose on the subsequent votes. At this point, due to the number of primaries that have been postponed and may be cancelled, Biden does not have the required number of committed delegates to win on the first vote. For this election it does not seem to matter given that all the other candidates have withdrawn and committed their support to Biden, or the candidate they committed to has by now committed to Biden. However, the Cuomo daily news briefs do make one wonder what is going on.
Posted By: Marty

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:39 PM

I believe that the rules in place at the moment limit the dems to biden or sanders. But rules can be changed, maybe.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:49 PM

Those daily Cuomo news briefs by Cuomo are not about the Corona virus, he's lapping up the free publicity and a lot of people think he's wonderful. He's had his eye on the white house for years. I don't know the legality in nominating, but I don't know how they could dump Biden without causing a huge uproar. Obviously there is something wrong with him, but let me tell you that Cuomo is awful.,He 's the guy that ignored Remington Arms offer to help manufacture in this crisis, and he's the guy that sneaked through the "Safe Act" in the dark of the night.
He's begging for more Federal money, but he's the guy that put the state in the hole in the first place. He created NYC as a "sanctuary" city, and he's the guy that thinks it's OK to kill a newborn baby.He even named a bridge after his father.He's just like an eel, very, very slippery.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 01:58 PM

Well if coumo is their guy i believe they will save him till 2024. They may start putting him front and center until then as a more reasonable democrat candidate.
Posted By: nramemb

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
Those daily Cuomo news briefs by Cuomo are not about the Corona virus, he's lapping up the free publicity and a lot of people think he's wonderful. He's had his eye on the white house for years. I don't know the legality in nominating, but I don't know how they could dump Biden without causing a huge uproar. Obviously there is something wrong with him, but let me tell you that Cuomo is awful.,He 's the guy that ignored Remington Arms offer to help manufacture in this crisis, and he's the guy that sneaked through the "Safe Act" in the dark of the night.
He's begging for more Federal money, but he's the guy that put the state in the hole in the first place. He created NYC as a "sanctuary" city, and he's the guy that thinks it's OK to kill a newborn baby.He even named a bridge after his father.He's just like an eel, very, very slippery.

Funny how it seems Cuomo gets more tv time with his virus briefing then the president does with his
Posted By: white17

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 02:15 PM

Remember that Bernie has not relinquished his delegates to Biden. That MIGHT play a part.
But also consider that Odungo has endorsed Biden. Would it be too embarrassing to The One if they now dumped Biden ?
Posted By: HayDay

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 02:26 PM

The Democrats maintain a giant fudge factor called Super Delegates. Back when, Bernie would win a state, yet Hillary still picked up delegates from the same state. The national party bosses always have a big say in who the ultimate candidate is.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 02:35 PM

Super delegates can only get involved if the first vote fails to garher the required numbers.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 02:42 PM

While true it would have consequences with in the party. Why have a primary where the "voters" supposedly pick a candidate when the party leaders are going to dump him and change horses at the convention?

As with in 2016 its become clear to anyone who has his eyes open that the Democrat party chooses the nominee, not the voters.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 02:47 PM

It wouldn't take much for them to deem Biden mentally unfit and then it's a free-for-all at the convention. The controversy would be nominating someone who wasnt on the ballot and has 0 delegates over one of the other candidates. Maybe we haven't seen the last of Bloomberg...
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 03:23 PM

If Biden doesn't get enough delegates to win the nomination then it will go to a brokered or contested convention. Then the delegates can go to anyone, my guess Biden will not be the guy.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
If Biden doesn't get enough delegates to win the nomination then it will go to a brokered or contested convention. Then the delegates can go to anyone, my guess Biden will not be the guy.

By my math, Bernie has to sweep the remaining primaries to win the nomination outright.
Posted By: Marty

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 03:53 PM

I am pretty sure the rules state that a person needs to be on the ballot in x amount of primaries to be the selected candidate....
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 04:03 PM

I can't imagine why not. I think you should take in a big breath, let half of it out, and gently squeeze thru the.. Wait never mind, Wrong forum. grin
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 04:06 PM

Pretty sure Bloomberg didn't raise money from donors yet got on the debate stage cause the Dems. changed the rules.
Posted By: waggler

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 04:12 PM

I think the CV19 issue is helping Biden hold on to his position. It it weren't for the CV distraction, people would be more aware of his mental issues and they would be actively pursuing a way to replace him at or before the convention. I believe the closer they get to the convention and the election the harder it will be to replace him. That's fine with me though.
Posted By: hippie

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 04:14 PM

I have a feeling we're gonna find out.

I just watched Biden and Gore doing s video chat and Biden made so little sense that even Gore raised his eyebrows a couple times trying to follow his ramblings.
They can't possibly run him unless they keep everyone penned up until the election.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 04:32 PM

I heard they set up a studio in his basement so he could do daily briefings, but they were as terrible as you would expect from someone in his mental state.
Posted By: Boco

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 05:12 PM

Since Joes brains are away,they will persuade him to pick a vice president of their choosing,then get him to step down shortly after the election,if he wins,then their choice will be president.
Posted By: hippie

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Since Joes brains are away,they will persuade him to pick a vice president of their choosing,then get him to step down shortly after the election,if he wins,then their choice will be president.

He can't even do that himself, said he's putting together a committee to pick one. I kid you not.
Posted By: warrior

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 06:14 PM

Technically yes, in modern practice no. Or least not without major intraparty restructuring.

Conventions, primaries nor even parties are not constitutional entities.

Parties arose early reflecting divisions within our founders, most notably the federalists Madison and Adams and anti federalists Jefferson. Washington opposed factionalism and spoke out against it even within his own administration as both Jefferson and Adams held key positions.

Conventions and party tickets arose following the contested Jefferson / Burr tie that roiled the house and led to changes in how the president is elected. In those days all candidates ran for president with the one garnering the most becoming president and secondmost vice president. This could have resulted in bitter enemies (pre party) in these two offices so in practice candidates would chose an ally to run with them to take the second spot. That was the plan in the Jefferson/Adams race, Burr was to place second but instead he swung a vote to tie with Jefferson then refused to concede. This led to a party slate of president/vice president.

Primaries came early for the various states parties elect delegates to the party convention but inevitably back room brokered conventions resulted leading to party rules making the primary the determining action with the delegates being bound to a particular candidate. However, even today the delegates are free to choose the party candidate of their choice if a majority of bound delegates is not achieved. Though there are specific rules governing how that can come about. Each party sets their own rules on how this process happens.

BTW, primaries are not required as many third parties lack the numbers to hold state primaries. Most do use the convention process though while others merely name a candidate.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 06:21 PM

I suspect there may not be any conventions. They will use the virus as a reason to cancel them. That will work right into the effort to vote by mail. If that is imposed, all election integrity will be gone forever.....and of course that is what they are after. Fraud will be the order of the day
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 06:35 PM

I just hope and pray for 4 more years of Trump. Anything else we go backwards as a country.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
They won't dump Biden
unless he allows it to happen or he becomes incapacitated.

Waddya Mean........BECOMES INCAPACITATED ?

Biden's already incapacitated !!!! laugh

w

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
They won't dump Biden
unless he allows it to happen or he becomes incapacitated.

Waddya Mean........BECOMES INCAPACITATED ?

Biden's already incapacitated !!!! laugh

w

In this case it means adjudicated that he is incapacitated, either mentally or physically.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 07:54 PM

The parties can pick whoever they want. Each party comes up with internal rules for choosing the candidate but those rules aren't legally binding. At the last minute, the DNC can throw out all the ballots and just pick someone else if they want - and that's what they are going to do this time.

Biden is a place holder. I don't know if that was the plan all along but there is no way they are going to run him in the real election. I have been predicting all along that Michelle Obama will be the actual candidate. I thought she would have announced her candidacy just before Super Tuesday but she didn't. Biden has announced that his running mate will be a woman. I still think Michelle is a possibility but others are too. At the last minute, Biden will announce that he's having some memory issues and has decided to step down. The DNC will announce that the only "obvious" choice is Biden's running mate. And abracadabra They get to run the person of their choice without needing any pesky primary voters telling them who to run.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 08:27 PM

there are no hard and fast rules for Democrats.

when Bob Torricelli (D-NJ) got his [breast] in a wringer over campaign finance shenanigans before the 2002 NJ Senate race, Democrats got an election judge to excuse the deadline for getting names on the ballot, just so they wouldn't lose the seat to his Republican opponent.

Frank Lautenberg was [illegally] placed on the ballot at the last minute; and since he was a Democrat in NJ, he won the election.

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

Posted By: Duckie1

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 10:15 PM

Corona is great for Biden he may get away without debating Trump. He has a mental problem and Dems are just hoping he can pull it off to get a VP they want. Then he will be deemed unfit. IMHO
Posted By: EdP

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 10:42 PM

Michelle Obama now has the cushy rich life she always knew she deserved. I don't think she is about to leave all that for a real job.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Posco

Cuomo is getting more press coverage than Biden. They're pushing Cuomo.

I could see him being the dems nominee. He is getting free publicity all over the news.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
I am pretty sure the rules state that a person needs to be on the ballot in x amount of primaries to be the selected candidate....

They change the rules quicker than weather changes in Michigan. Not going the way they want, change the fake rules.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 11:36 PM

Cuomo did a interview a week or so ago with Sean Hannity, he was point blank asked if he was going to accept a presidential nomination if it came. He said in no uncertain terms "NO" That assumes he did not simply lie, He is a democrat and a Cuomo, so some may say if his lips were moving he was lying.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/23/20 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Originally Posted by Marty

They change the rules quicker than weather changes in Michigan. Not going the way they want, change the fake rules.

This. We are talking about democrats here. They will do what they want and tell you its whats best for you.
Posted By: warrior

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/24/20 12:09 AM

Another example of demonrat rules and how alabama got her first republican governor.

At that time a republican couldn't get elected dog catcher so anybody who was anybody was a democrat.

In the democrat primary that year was George Wallace's hand picked successor and leutenant governor Bill Baxley vs a career district attorney and the sitting state attorney general Charlie Graddick (who had been a republican in his youth changed democrat to begin his career).
The electorate knew Baxley was a creature of the Wallace machine and Graddick was a hard working honest man, they overwhelmingly voted for Graddick. The party leadership was beside themselves and in executive meeting declared the primary null and void because some republican voters had crossed over in the open primary. They declared their candidate to be Baxley.

Meanwhile the Republican party knowing their nominee was merely a formality and not willing to put anyone of importance on the top of the ticket, as they were focused on winning the occasional local dog catcher job at that time, gave the short straw to a primitive baptist preacher from nowhereville Holly Pond named Guy Hunt.

In the uproar caused by the tossed out primary vote almost all the electorate voted for the nobody.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/24/20 12:18 AM

Like a hot potato.

I hope Biden does not go coma though, as he is the early stages of Alzheimers. He promised to pick a woman, and from ugly Amy Klobuchar who inspires nothing, that half wit Kamala Harris, Grandma Warren acting like she is always caught in a web of yarn, to falling down Hillary, this is going to be wonderful entertainment with this virus going on, as Biden can not put a thought together, so the President can just look concerned as Joe rambles on, and Mike Pence on stage with those lackluster liberals will be the best media around.

Governor Cuomo is becoming a favorite to get rid of Biden, but a power politician looks great when there is a pandemic going on, but once that is over, liberals are not going to like being told what to do, and people on the right will remember his gun control. Democrats have as bad of field as Republicans did in 2016, before Donald Trump entered the race.

The only regret I have in any of this, is I would have loved to have watched a debate of Jeb Bush and Joe Biden as it would have been like two turtles blinking at each other.
Posted By: wr otis

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/24/20 02:14 AM

Trump runs about a million ads where joe tells the story about the kids rubbing the hair on his legs and jumping on his lap, and they are going to be looking for a way to drop him.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/25/20 01:37 AM

What if investigation into hunter implicates joe? He gets called in to testify after convention but before the election. Has anybody ever dropped out while being the candidate?

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/25/20 01:56 AM

What investigation? Don't see it happening.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/25/20 04:27 AM

I while back, Hillary stated that she wanted to be president, but that she did not want to run for president.
Joe will pick her (he has already said that he will pick a woman as a running mate).
Joe will either step down after a year or two, or will have a very unfortunate accident...
That is the Democrat's best bet to beat Trump.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/25/20 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
I while back, Hillary stated that she wanted to be president, but that she did not want to run for president.
Joe will pick her (he has already said that he will pick a woman as a running mate).
Joe will either step down after a year or two, or will have a very unfortunate accident...
That is the Democrat's best bet to beat Trump.

You may be right. If the witch can't get elected, she'll kill her way into office.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/25/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
What investigation? Don't see it happening.

May not even need to go through Hunter, seems like theres more evidence showing up about his alleged sexual assault back in 1993 of a female staffer.

Creepy Joe, kissing necks and sticking his fingers where they don't belong since '93!

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/25/20 05:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/26/20 01:27 AM

I read a story about the alleged incident tonight, story said incident was investigated by the New York times and found to be not true. That's like his boy hunters indescrections being debunked, all the stories were true but if you say they were debunked it's like a mulligan it don't count.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/26/20 01:31 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nelly

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/26/20 01:36 AM

I think that I shall try to find the movie The Best Man. From what I have read, there seems to be some parallels.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/26/20 01:44 AM

To bad it wasn't Tara Reid instead, who could blame him for that.

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/26/20 04:08 AM

Did anyone on here wake up today thinking, "That AOC, I agree with what she said." I didn't.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/26/20 03:35 PM

I cannot believe they are going with biden... no way! I feel they are holding off as long as they can to drop the bomb on who is really running, to dominate the headlines? And most likely to give Trump as little intel/prep as possible?
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: can a presidential canidate get dropped - 04/30/20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by rendezvous
I cannot believe they are going with biden... no way! I feel they are holding off as long as they can to drop the bomb on who is really running, to dominate the headlines? And most likely to give Trump as little intel/prep as possible?

If biden runs the Vice President candidate will most likely be who is actually running for President...

God Bless America! God Bless our President Donald J. Trump! And God Bless all those who strive to Keep America Great!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums