Home

Swarm traps are now occupied

Posted By: Providence Farm

Swarm traps are now occupied - 05/04/20 02:44 PM

2 of The 3 swarm traps I have out on the farm are now being worked and I saw a few checking out the 3rd trap but not moved in yet..

I got my first used hive cleaned up and 2 coats of fresh Robin Egg blue exterior latex applied. The wifes favorite color. One more hive to get ready and within a short time I will be a real live bee keeper. No longer a want to be.

The best part is other than the paint a smoker and pry bar and maybe some youth size bee suits it will have cost me nothing.

My bee jacket and gloves were given to my by my bee keeper neighbor last year when we went to collect swarm traps we put out on my farm. I also planted 6 acres in clover for his bees. (he also sells supplies and in the president of the local club). He bought out another bee keeper that had to downsize due to his wifes cancer diagnosis. He gave me enough of those to get started with two hives. All that was needed was a little cleaning and bees.

I had planned on having bees until I learned about winter losses and other problems hives have being healthy. After that I decided it was not worth the cost of start up . Especially since my neighbor has bees.

Now that the cost to experiment has been eliminated and I have the guidance and help of an experienced bee keeper all systems are a go.

O ya bees were going to bee my wifes thing. Some how it has become mine.
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: Swarm traps are now occupied - 05/04/20 02:55 PM

Good luck with it. It's interesting for sure.
Posted By: Ranger109

Re: Swarm traps are now occupied - 05/04/20 03:04 PM

Count you blessings from all the stuff your neighbor has given you. I got my first hive in April 2018, and have four hives now. I have over $1500 invested in them, and only got nine pounds of honey last summer. It's a very interesting hobby, but it ain't cheep!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Swarm traps are now occupied - 05/04/20 03:53 PM

I had about 50% hive loss last year after going into the fall with 13 hives. Ten from Nucs that I bought and three were swarms that I collected or moved in on their own. All three of the swarm hives survived. I consider myself lucky since the year before I lost 100%.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Swarm traps are now occupied - 05/04/20 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I had about 50% hive loss last year after going into the fall with 13 hives. Ten from Nucs that I bought and three were swarms that I collected or moved in on their own. All three of the swarm hives survived. I consider myself lucky since the year before I lost 100%.

My neighbor said local bees are much better for our climate and more resilient. He said most people bur come from further south I think he said Georga. If so it makes sense our winters would be much harder on them. I am pretty excited. I don't expect to harvest any honey this year. I just hope to build 2 strong hives that will make it through the winter and come out swinging next spring.

Yes, I have great luck to have a wonderful friend and neighbor.. he text me earlier and said I need to come pick up some more frames ot clean.

Would something like corn syrup be beneficial for feeding along with sugar water?
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Swarm traps are now occupied - 05/04/20 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger109
Count you blessings from all the stuff your neighbor has given you. I got my first hive in April 2018, and have four hives now. I have over $1500 invested in them, and only got nine pounds of honey last summer. It's a very interesting hobby, but it ain't cheep!

Yep like fur trapping. Still love to watch my bees. They are a great business loss income
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Swarm traps are now occupied - 05/05/20 12:38 AM

If they settle in good your two hives might become 4 pretty quickly. My brother had been running swarm traps for a month. Thought he had one that was occupied, he gave it a week or so and went to pull it and it was empty. So he broke down and ordered a 3 pound package of bees.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Swarm traps are now occupied - 05/05/20 09:32 AM

If you're using old frames/comb here's some info you might want to note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyH05-5Hp4k&t=143s
© 2024 Trapperman Forums