Home

Bird ID

Posted By: 20scout

Bird ID - 05/04/20 10:44 PM

First of all I want to apologize for not having a picture but for the past few years I have had a hawk hunting in my fields and I can't seem to figure out what kind it is. It's about the size of a seagull, white and light grey/blue like that of a pigeon. It hunts by floating across the field about 10' or so off the ground. Beautiful bird and was hoping someone here could enlighten me to what kind of hawk it is. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Don

Re: Bird ID - 05/04/20 10:50 PM

Possibly a Marsh Hawk.
Posted By: squacks

Re: Bird ID - 05/04/20 11:00 PM

possibly a Northern Harrier
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bird ID - 05/04/20 11:00 PM

Picture really helps.Hard to tell without it.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Bird ID - 05/04/20 11:02 PM

Looks like a falcon from here.

Re: Bird ID - 05/04/20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by squacks
possibly a Northern Harrier

That looks alot like it. Thanks!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 12:08 AM

Old guys call the Marsh halks but in the past 20 years they are now known as Northern Harriers and with it still being around the female is on a nest somewhere. It is really interesting when she comes out at dusk that they fly together and he turns upside down and drops a mouse for her, she does a 180 and catches it in the air. Worth going back to the field tonight and watch.
Posted By: Hatchetman

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 12:16 AM

Maybe a Goshawk
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 12:47 AM

Seen my first northern herrier last year.
It is a pretty bird.
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 12:58 AM

Due to the flight habit you described I'd go with harrier as well. We have a pair that works our fields pretty often, we watched one this morning over coffee. Cool hawks, help keep the voles and ground squirrels down.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 01:14 AM

narrow down the family first
Buteo---fan shaped tail like a Red Tail or Red Shouldered Hawks
Accipiter---straight sided tail bout 1/2 as long as the body

Then learn to look for "field marks"
BLACK in this area or THAT area
WHITE in certain parts of the body

here is a Harrier, but you can use the Bird ID route they have to figure it out too. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Harrier

look up Goshawk too

Falcons tend to soar pretty high and swoop down at over 100 mph hitting a duck that just took off water, breaking its neck in an instant and they are Accipiters with narrow-straight sided tails
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 01:14 AM

perrigen falcon

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
perrigen falcon

I know it's not that but thanks.

Thinking it's a Marsh or Northern Harrier as suggested but still not 100% sure. These look very close to what I see posted but are lighter in color. Will still try to get a picture so I can do a better comparison.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 02:05 AM

Adult Coopers are bluish grey on top but have more orange mixed with white on the breast, but about the size you are describing.

Bryce
Posted By: Oleo Acres

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 03:32 AM

probably a kite. white tailed or swallow tail.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 07:25 AM

Has to be a marsh hawk by the behavior the OP described. None of the others mentioned hunt like that.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 01:09 PM

Short eared owls also float across the grass fields hunting but not usually in full daylight but the shoulder season light.
They hold their wings up high on each flap and can sorta hover when they see a mouse.

Remember its just like fishing; No picture== no proof
so we are all waiting.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 01:17 PM

Just from the OP description, I would not hesitate to say harrier. They are often seen around here buzzing alfalfa fields and winter wheat, they are trying to spook birds out of the foliage. Very cool to watch them.

[img]https://www.audubon.org/sites/defau...rn_Harrier_s70-2-181_l.jpg?itok=xauCYn1o[/img]

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Just from the OP description, I would not hesitate to say harrier. They are often seen around here buzzing alfalfa fields and winter wheat, they are trying to spook birds out of the foliage. Very cool to watch them.

[img]https://www.audubon.org/sites/defau...rn_Harrier_s70-2-181_l.jpg?itok=xauCYn1o[/img]

That's it!! Thanks I snow for that picture!

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 01:43 PM

No problem. I love watching them work the fields around here.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 03:38 PM

The bird sounds 100% Northern Harrier (aka..Marsh Hawk) The males are gray with black wingtips. Some birders call them Gray Ghosts. The females are mottled brown. Both have white rumps.

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 06:14 PM

Most of the pics I've seen showed the females while all I seem to see are the lighter colored males. I'm positive its Northern Harrier. Thanks everyone!

Re: Bird ID - 05/05/20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Most of the pics I've seen showed the females while all I seem to see are the lighter colored males. I'm positive its Northern Harrier. Thanks everyone!

I have seen a lot more of the grey ones than I have the brown ones.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Bird ID - 05/06/20 01:50 PM

When flying,,,,,, if it has an exposed white rear patch of feathers above the tail feathers it is a Harrier or Marsh Hawk.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums