Home

Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon

Posted By: Canvasback2

Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:24 PM

So, what is the best way to cook that stuff ? That's all I could pick up at the store. All the fresh fish was sold out.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:26 PM

Start up the grill. Cover the fish in bacon. Cook until bacon is done. Throw away the humpy and eat the bacon.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:28 PM

I just mix with manyase and put in a sandwich.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:28 PM

My Mom says "Fish Cakes" lol
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:31 PM

I like "Dirt's" method best!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:32 PM

Croquets
Posted By: white17

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Start up the grill. Cover the fish in bacon. Cook until bacon is done. Throw away the humpy and eat the bacon.

X10 !
Posted By: Finster

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:48 PM

I would make fish cakes. Some bread crumbs, a couple eggs, salmon, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, chives, parsley, and maybe a touch of dill or thyme if you prefer. Make the cakes about the size of a burger and pan fry in butter or olive oil until nice and crusty brown on both sides. Goes nice with a cucumber salad.

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:53 PM

You could also make a pate to spread on crackers.
Salmon, mayo, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you like with fish. Put it in a blender and add mayo until it is a stiff but creamy mixture. You want it spreadable but not thin.
Posted By: sotired

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:55 PM

Put the contents of the can into a dog proof trap. Eat whatever gets caught. It has to be better.

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 04:55 PM

Or you could get off your butt, roll over to Lake Ontario, and catch a fresh salmon! It's not like you're all that far away for cripes sake! . grin
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 05:10 PM

You don't need to cook it before feeding it to your cat.

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ApocalypticGoatH

You don't need to cook it before feeding it to your cat.

I don't own a cat but it would not be getting my canned salmon.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 05:23 PM

Noodles and cream of mushroom soup/onion/pepper mixed up with your canned Humpy would be edible.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 05:58 PM

It's beginning to sound like fresh Rainbow Trout out of the Creek in the backyard, would be better tasting....
Posted By: Prn

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 06:20 PM

My father eats it right outta the can. He puts a little vinegar on it and thinks it is great. I dont care for it.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Prn
My father eats it right outta the can. He puts a little vinegar on it and thinks it is great. I dont care for it.

The vinegar is for the botulism you might get grin
Posted By: Prn

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 06:28 PM

Could be, that is how his father ate it as well. I couldn't acquire a taste for it. grin
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 06:41 PM

My mom used to mix it with cream of mushroom soup and crushed saltine crackers and make patties out of it. Then fry. Sprinkle with crushed tater chips when done cooking. Ocean caught humpies are pretty good. Real good smoked!
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 06:45 PM

Hang the can over a smokey fire with some old trapping wire. Eat with your pocketknife.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 07:00 PM

Before you do anything with it, pick out the skins and the bones as best you can.

This is what poor people ate like tuna noodle casserole because they were poor. I make mine with eggs, crackers, mustard and seasonings like thyme to kill the fish taste. Grilling is great, but you can deep fry them too, so it forms a crunchy exterior. I did a great deal of hamburger buns with them, mayo and like all bad fish, tartar sauce.

Canned salmon gets old in a hurry.

If I could suggest, what is better is mock crab in a pasta salad with ranch dressing, mayo and Italian seasoning, with garlic toast or good crackers. Try clams too in a white sauce, with onion sauteed, bouillon, cream,and whatever seasoning you prefer, and thicken with flour. Use it over pasta with cheese and you should enjoy that better than that salmon.

Last thing, if you have salmon in those heavy green cans, I carefully open them and use them for drinking glasses as they never wear our or dent.

Few people ever get a taste for fish stew, soup or casseroles as you just can not get away from the fish when it is an oily fish like salmon.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 07:18 PM

Salmon patties eggs, crushed saltines, chopped onion & fry like Finster said

Goes good with dark red kidney beans, mashed potatoes, & bread & butter
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 07:23 PM

This - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26463/salmon-chowder/
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 07:27 PM

Fried patties or cakes are good for canned salmon.
Mix it with cream cheese and it's a pretty good spread for crackers or bagel smear.
Be creative. Google is your friend in the kitchen.
Jim
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 07:28 PM

Salmon patties...,..one egg, one package crushed saltine crackers (1/4 box), and one can salmon. Combine and form into patties, and fry in butter. Best served with a mustard smiley face on it. Super good.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 07:39 PM

Ditto
Humpies (pinks) are a pretty poor excuse of a salmon; if they would call them something other than salmon I think it would be good for the entire fishing industry.
Really, that's all you could find, not even any cans of sockeye on the shelf?
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by star flakes
Before you do anything with it, pick out the skins and the bones as best you can.

This is what poor people ate like tuna noodle casserole because they were poor. I make mine with eggs, crackers, mustard and seasonings like thyme to kill the fish taste. Grilling is great, but you can deep fry them too, so it forms a crunchy exterior. I did a great deal of hamburger buns with them, mayo and like all bad fish, tartar sauce.

Canned salmon gets old in a hurry.

If I could suggest, what is better is mock crab in a pasta salad with ranch dressing, mayo and Italian seasoning, with garlic toast or good crackers. Try clams too in a white sauce, with onion sauteed, bouillon, cream,and whatever seasoning you prefer, and thicken with flour. Use it over pasta with cheese and you should enjoy that better than that salmon.

Last thing, if you have salmon in those heavy green cans, I carefully open them and use them for drinking glasses as they never wear our or dent.
Few people ever get a taste for fish stew, soup or casseroles as you just can not get away from the fish when it is an oily fish like salmon.

Never thought about why we had salmon patties and tuna casserole so often.
But I think you nailed it; because we had 10 of us at the table.
Lots of big bowls of scrambled eggs and spaghetti too.
Beats sucking your thumb for supper
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 08:04 PM

Salmon Soup

Add salmon to 2quart stock pot

Add 1quart of milk or more

Add stick of margarine

Heat until hot and butter melts

Pour into bowl add crackers and eat
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 09:34 PM

Why ruin good bacon?

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 09:39 PM

I still like the canned salmon mixed with mayo and put in a sandich.Good,quick and tasty.Sure beats tuna fish.
Posted By: charles

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 09:43 PM

Blend it as you would tuna salad. Will be good.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 09:44 PM

That reminds me I still have a few cans of red salmon I canned when I was in Alaska. That was back in 89. I wonder if it's still good?
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
That reminds me I still have a few cans of red salmon I canned when I was in Alaska. That was back in 89. I wonder if it's still good?

Those were packed with Captain Hazelwood oil. They never go bad. smile

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
I still like the canned salmon mixed with mayo and put in a sandich.Good,quick and tasty.Sure beats tuna fish.

We do that with Suckers here.Much better than store bought tuna.

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 09:51 PM

Nah, just in their own juices in a pressure cooker. That was the first time I used cans and a can sealer. Worked great. We ate most of it, but still have a few left. Just wondered after 31 years if it's still good. Cans aren't corroded or swelled.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 10:22 PM

A can of red salmon here is about $7-8 bucks. You salmon snobs can laugh at us flatlanders eating pink stuff.

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
A can of red salmon here is about $7-8 bucks. You salmon snobs can laugh at us flatlanders eating pink stuff.

Yep and pink salmon is around $3 to $4

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 11:02 PM

Nah, just in their own juices in a pressure cooker. That was the first time I used cans and a can sealer. Worked great. We ate most of it, but still have a few left. Just wondered after 31 years if it's still good. Cans aren't corroded or swelled.

Do you have your own can sealer?I was thinking of getting one just for canning dry goods with the oxygen absorbers in them.

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Do you have your own can sealer?I was thinking of getting one just for canning dry goods with the oxygen absorbers in them.

No, I borrowed one from a friend.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/07/20 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
laugh at us flatlanders eating pink stuff.

I thought that's what we are supposed to do with it.;)
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
It's beginning to sound like fresh Rainbow Trout out of the Creek in the backyard, would be better tasting....

Like Bruce T said,

Mix it with Hellman's mayonaise and make a sandwich just like tunafish.

I add a slice of cheese to it though.

Yummy.

w

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 02:11 AM

Yep I add the piece of cheese also.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 05:34 AM

I like it mixed with zesty Italian dressing, on bread. I know the Alaskan guys think it's crap food (and I see why) but I do like it. I call it "Coon bait". I've eaten worse.
Posted By: tree

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 06:27 AM

Use like canned tuna. Sandwiches, casserole, add to white sauce over noodles...... I am amazed that a lot of the negative comments are from folks who probably relish catfish.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by Canvasback2

Like Bruce T said,

Mix it with Hellman's mayonaise and make a sandwich just like tunafish.

I add a slice of cheese to it though.

Yummy.

w

......needs pickles and onion ,and butter both sides and fry it, makes a great Salmon melt.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by tree
I am amazed that a lot of the negative comments are from folks who probably relish catfish.

A lot of negative comments from Alaskans
probably stems from the fact they have
up to 5 different species of Pacific salmon
to choose from.

The Humpy, or pink salmon along with the
Dog (chum) salmon are lowest on the totem pole
in terms of taste, firmness of flesh, and nutrient value.

If you catch a pink, you better kill it quick, bleed it out,
and get the flesh on well drained ice as quickly as possible
as their flesh turns mushy in a hurry.

Some say Pinks are mushy while they are still Dime Bright silver.

While they are not the flesh quality of a Silver, ocean fresh Sockeye (RED)
Salmon or a Silver KIng (Chinook) still sporting Sea Lice,
Pink Salmon are none-the-less good to eat.

All IMHO.

walleyed
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by tree
Use like canned tuna. Sandwiches, casserole, add to white sauce over noodles...... I am amazed that a lot of the negative comments are from folks who probably relish catfish.

Yep buncha salmon snobs. If it ain’t king it ain’t king. Silvers is best & ::;(()) the rest.
I do believe a hungry man would eat chum salmon aka dog salmon or pink salmon aka humpies and be glad to have them. OP said that was all he could get. Are their better tasting salmon yes, is fresh out of the river tastier than caned yep. Are they more nutritious uhh probably not. And X10 on the catfish. JM2€
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 04:23 PM

Now I feel weird.

I open the can, drink the juice, and eat the salmon on club crackers, with a slice of sharp cheddar, and a splash of hot sauce.

But I like sardines, and smoked oysters too.
Posted By: harryleggs

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 08:33 PM

I.ve read enough of this garbage! Time for crappie and walleye.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 10:31 PM

I guess the best way to eat it is the way you like it.
I'll vote for Finster's patties.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/08/20 10:39 PM

Open can, feed to the dog.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/09/20 02:18 AM

Someone mentioned chum salmon also market as "Keta" salmon.
I've never tasted it canned, but as a self confessed "salmon snob" I really like fresh bright chum.
Good flavor, oily enough, just not bright red though.
My list in order of preference:
King
Coho
Sockeye or Chum
Pink
Posted By: white17

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/09/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jctunnelrat
Open can, feed to the dog.

Even my dog team would curl their lips at Humpies.

Agree with Waggler that a Chum, still in the salt, isn't too bad.........if you have to eat salmon at all.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/09/20 06:20 PM

Around here you will find most people would rather eat a flathead or a good trimmed up blue than any kind of salmon or trout . Salmon and trout are for yuppies and city slickers ,the ones that feel guilty for not being vegetarian .
Myself i like almost all fish .

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/09/20 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Around here you will find most people would rather eat a flathead or a good trimmed up blue than any kind of salmon or trout . Salmon and trout are for yuppies and city slickers ,the ones that feel guilty for not being vegetarian .
Myself i like almost all fish .

Lol.........I'm about as far from being a city slicker as you can get.I will take any salmon over a bluefish any day.

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/09/20 09:16 PM

I ment blue catfish and flathead catfish .Ive never eaten a bluefish . Myself i llike salmon baked , grilled , or smoked basically the same way i fix carp. Canned it makes good salad with miracle whip mustard and sweet pickles maybe eaven some boiled eggs and onions thrown in (another way i fix carp ) . Its just real hard to get folks around here to eat fish any other way than fried with cornmeal
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/09/20 11:56 PM

Grilled bluefish fresh out of the ocean is YUMMY I prefer it to dorado, mahi-mahi, dolphin or whatever you call it.
Posted By: spotter

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/10/20 06:09 AM

Pinks? I just puked a little in my mouth.
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/10/20 10:54 AM

I like it right out of the can or on a salad or with mayonnaise on a sandwich. The best part is the bones.

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/10/20 12:48 PM

I ment blue catfish and flathead catfish .Ive never eaten a bluefish . Myself i llike salmon baked , grilled , or smoked basically the same way i fix carp. Canned it makes good salad with miracle whip mustard and sweet pickles maybe eaven some boiled eggs and onions thrown in (another way i fix carp ) . Its just real hard to get folks around here to eat fish any other way than fried with cornmeal

Lol....
Then dang it man say complete sentences and stop talking that half sentence city slang..... laugh
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/10/20 01:21 PM

Empty can replace contents with brook trout.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/10/20 01:24 PM

Empty can replace contents with brook trout.

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/10/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

Lol....
Then dang it man say complete sentences and stop talking that half sentence city slang..... laugh

I m Busy doing other things and tring to post in between propper english and paragraph structure has never been a high priority. Thats why when i graduated high school I chose to make my living in the dirt and the woods . The post i make on this forum is the only writing i do
Posted By: John C

Re: Best way to cook Canned Alaska Pink Salmon - 05/10/20 10:21 PM

Salmon patties are the only way to eat canned salmon
© 2024 Trapperman Forums