Home

Baby Aspirin

Posted By: Nostalgia

Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:04 PM

Who all takes baby Aspirin daily to reduce their chances of a heart attack? I'm only 29 but I've taken 162 mg of Aspirin daily for about a year now just because heart attacks are prevelant on my dad's side of the family and since I already had an ablation for a-fib when I was 23, I'm deathly afraid of having a heart attack. My theory is, it's better if I start keeping my blood on the thinner side now. I figure it might keep me trappin' for a few extra years. Anybody else? Particularly younger people?
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:08 PM

I take one every day also . I have a strong family history of heart disease on both sides of my family . Went in about seven years ago just for a physical and they found 3 blockages . Three days latter triple bypass .
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:10 PM

I take 325
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:11 PM

I do. I am 67. I have close buddy, healthy as a horse, who suddenly had a stroke and he's at least 10 years younger than I am. He came through it just fine, but his Doc highly recommended he take a baby aspirin every day. I have done a lot of reading on it and it makes sense, especially since my older brother, who was built quite similar to me, had a stroke and heart issues. Dementia eventually did him in.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:14 PM

Have you talked to your doctor about the dosage you are using ? I only ask because my heart doctor had me on blood thinner for Afib and switched me to a high dose of aspirin ( 325 mg I think ) after I quit the blood thinner. After being released by the cardiologist my regular doctor had a fit about dosage of aspirin I was using and told me to only take 80 mg a day and to take that before bed .
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:15 PM

My s-I-l has taken 1 a day for the last 3 years. She takes them to ward off blood clots.

WS
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
Have you talked to your doctor about the dosage you are using ? I only ask because my heart doctor had me on blood thinner for Afib and switched me to a high dose of aspirin ( 325 mg I think ) after I quit the blood thinner. After being released by the cardiologist my regular doctor had a fit about dosage of aspirin I was using and told me to only take 80 mg a day and to take that before bed .
Thats what bad . Which Dr do you listen to ?
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball

I do the 80 a day and was having trouble bleeding like a stuck hog, if I nicked myself.
Neighbor told me to try it before bed.
Fixed it.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:26 PM

I'm 49, had afib episodes for 15+ years, had an ablation 3 months ago. Been on a baby aspirin for years.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:34 PM

Suppose to take 1 a day.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:35 PM

Yes 81mgs everyday along with heart issues i've noticed that after i took them for 6 months to a year my toenails turned from a blueish gray to pink indicating better circulation
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:38 PM

I am on prescribed daily lo dose aspirin. Have been for several years. Was on regular aspirin before my ablation that solved the intermittent a-fib because I refused to take the other common blood thinners. Ablation was one of the best health decisions I have made. Got me off the high powered meds that were only partially effective in controlling the a-fib.
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 03:59 PM

I take baby the 81 every night as i read more heart attach are at night. I am 73 and had a TIA stroke in 2012.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 04:08 PM

At 65 I take the 80 mg daily per my Dr. recommendation. Here is how it works as i understand it. Deposits in your arteries leading to your heart often don't cause you any problem unless or until a rush of blood from exertion rips loose the leading edge of the deposit. If that happens the flap that came loose blocks much of the flow through the artery (like a check valve). Platelets back up behind the flap and can form a clot that will block the rest of the flow and the heart muscle fed by that artery will begin to die. The blood thinning effect of the baby aspirin is enough to prevent clotting such that enough blood leaks by to keep the heart muscle alive until medical intervention can get the artery open again. It doesn't take so much at this point since you have collapsed and are no longer exerting yourself.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 04:13 PM

I take a low dosage tablet every day plus a blood thinner.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 04:19 PM

At supper time I take 81 mg of aspirin and a 20 mg dosage of Atorvastatin to lower cholesterol. Have done this for 8 years daily.

Chris
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 07:24 PM

I take a baby aspirin daily. No heart trouble but blockages run on both sides of my family. My Dad and his brother both had a stent put in when they were 45. I'm 39.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 07:46 PM

2 fish oil and a low dose aspirin every night.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 10:23 PM

I take a baby aspirin daily except for 3 days per month when I quit to give platelets. Been doing this for 6 years, was taking full 325 mg for 1.5 years before that.

Bryce
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 11:38 PM

I just got diagnosed with a blood clot in my. Calve three days ago. on Xeralto now for problyb3 months. Doc says after that likely to be on baby aspirin daily for the rest of my life. I’m 54
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 11:46 PM

Got to watch taking those strong blood thinners. I took that for a week ( Xeralto ) and had problems with severe bruising with the slightest bang on the body. hopefully you will not have that problem.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/08/20 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
I just got diagnosed with a blood clot in my. Calve three days ago. on Xeralto now for problyb3 months. Doc says after that likely to be on baby aspirin daily for the rest of my life. I’m 54

I got diagnosed a blood clot above my knee this after noon and am also not on Xeralto for at least 3 months .

I bought the baby aspirin and just didn't get around to taking them figured ah I have another year. guess I waited too long. 41

years ago they tell me people get blood clots from inactivity sitting too long. I sit to eat and drive so less than an hour a day and it still got me.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 12:14 AM

Those blood clots can be genetic (and you'll need to be on a real thinner for life), and other clots have a cause (extended immobilization- flying, long road trip etc, and other hypercoagulable states ie cancer etc). Current recommendation is all males take 81 mg starting at age 40 unless bleeding ulcer history, and all women starting at 50. If you have a family hisotry of early MI (M before 40 and W before 50), then should start sooner. Taking 325 mg aspirin only increases your chance of bleeding in your gut, but don't protect you more except in rare instances.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 12:32 AM

I use to take a 81 mg (Baby Asprin).... until I developed rectal bleeding....thought I was a gonnah. I stopped the asprin and all fixed. I know thats a little too much information....butt it could help someone out.....
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
I use to take a 81 mg (Baby Asprin).... until I developed rectal bleeding....thought I was a gonnah. I stopped the asprin and all fixed. I know thats a little too much information....butt it could help someone out.....

Glad to hear it is under control.

Chris
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 12:47 AM

I took a81 mg aspirin daily for a couple of years. Then started passing blood in my urine. Stopped the aspirin. Problem solved. I would be real careful before I started again.
Posted By: charles

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 01:12 AM

Ask your cardiologist. Please. Don’t come here for medical advice.
Posted By: trapper234

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 01:48 AM

One per day here per Doctor.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 01:51 AM

I may be wrong but I thought I read the AMA did NOT want people to take 81mg. aspirin unless they already had circulation problems or heart health problems or previous stroke.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 01:52 AM

I've got Atrial Fib, 5 stents, and a 65% Blocked carotid artery.

I take zarelto daily along with an 81mg aspirin.

I bump my leg and bleed like a stuck pig.

I was turkey hunting Monday and snagged my ankle on a wild grapevine.

Left a heavy blood trail all the way back to my truck. shocked

w
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by charles

good advice also , remember most us screwed this up already.

if your going to screw it up you should do it on your doctors advice
Posted By: Mike C

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 02:08 AM

PLEASE seek medical advise before starting or discontinuing any medications. Blood thinning meds really need to be vetted by a doctor. If you are on Xarelto, Coumadin, Aspirin, or any other drugs in the N-said family you are taking blood thinning medications. Combining any of these thins the blood even further. Complications can be very serious and even life threatening. What is good for one patient may be deadly for another. SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by charles

I am heart broken Charles. I trust you guys completely. TV & Trapperman is where I get all my medical & political advice.
Sometimes it's very confusing.
Why do we have to call our Doctor ; if an Election lasts more than 4 hours ? : confused
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 09:45 AM

My Dr had me on 81 mg for a couple of years and last year told me not to take any more because aspirin cause stomach problems.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

w

WOW!.... i would always have a small medical with me if i was you

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by BuckMink
Originally Posted by walleyed

w

WOW!.... i would always have a small medical with me if i was you

Serious here walleyed.
Touch it with the end of a cigarette, the tobacco will stop the bleeding quick. ( An unlighted cigarette)
Posted By: charles

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 05:21 PM

If we had a heart doctor among us, I bet he would not give advice with knowing your complete history, and probably only after giving you a checkup. Take your personal doctors advice.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/09/20 06:45 PM

Take or don’t take, a lot of it is genetics really. I drink about 3 gallons of milk a week and have zero calcium buildup in my system Might not be that good for the next guy.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/10/20 02:36 PM

I can throw a different twist in this.. I take the 81 baby aspirin daily but because it was suggested by my oncologist. Said that the low doze aspirin was know to help keep colon cancer from coming back?? So I figured based on my family heart history and having already been cut up twice with colon cancer..I might as well just take it can't hurt.. I have found like others here have said. If I get scratched I seem to bleed or bumped bruise easier?
I wouldn't be taking it though if doc hadn't suggested it. Did say was totally up to me.

Mac
Posted By: coop

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/10/20 02:43 PM

I give them to my 68 lb. dog routinely, he's going on 15...
Posted By: snowy

Re: Baby Aspirin - 05/10/20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mike C
PLEASE seek medical advise before starting or discontinuing any medications. Blood thinning meds really need to be vetted by a doctor. If you are on Xarelto, Coumadin, Aspirin, or any other drugs in the N-said family you are taking blood thinning medications. Combining any of these thins the blood even further. Complications can be very serious and even life threatening. What is good for one patient may be deadly for another. SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

^ this.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums