Home

brook trout

Posted By: whiteotter55

brook trout - 05/09/20 03:11 AM

there's a small trout stream I go to. never saw this before, about 25 trout, all sizes, are in a 4 foot circle. I can run a worm or crawler right on their back or in front of their nose, they won't bite. I tried spinners same result. the weather got a lot colder , but other than that I never saw this before. ever happen to anybody else??
Posted By: Co�s

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 03:18 AM

Is possible they're on to your presence? Especially if they're used to pressure they might shut down but not flee. In my experience brookies will usually hit a worm no matter how cold the water is, flies and spinners not as much.

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 03:27 AM

I sneak up to creek, cast from afar away as possible, tried at daybreak, and just before dark, even make sure my shadow doesn't hit creek, been fishing this spot for 33 years. never happened before
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by whiteotter55
there's a small trout stream I go to. never saw this before, about 25 trout, all sizes, are in a 4 foot circle. I can run a worm or crawler right on their back or in front of their nose, they won't bite. I tried spinners same result. the weather got a lot colder , but other than that I never saw this before. ever happen to anybody else??

My friend and I stumbled upon the same thing....a 4 foot pool ...boiling with trout. After a few beers....we netted our limit in 2 scoops..7 fish each at the time. Then proudly waited for our buddies to come back from down stream ,with no fish for their efforts. We handed them the net...told them where the fish were....and they came back with their limits....lol. It is by far our best fish story 35 years later !
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 03:57 AM

grin

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 04:00 AM

can I get those red eggs at wallmart or fleet ?
Posted By: cmcf

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 04:08 AM

Pautski Green label premium salmon eggs yes at Wally World
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 04:42 AM

I know it is the wrong time of year but try a fly or a grasshopper.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 09:38 AM

Nessy, is that legal? LOL
Posted By: coydog2

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 10:30 AM

You can try dole bait call power bait. I seen for when the state stock the trout that they will mainly go after the dole bait since they are use to being feed ,Walmart dose sell it , put out by Berkley. You put it on a triple hook with a split shot. For me I do not like to fish that way and start to cost for what the cost of the bait. I use spinner lures away from the creek they stock mainly. They also will go after some colors better then others. Like when I went out Thursday I caught 2 good size rainbows and had a brook jump out of the water after a fly and for what I use they did not want to hit it , But the rainbows did and a small mouth bass did also that was under size. Other times I use a different color and is able to catch Rainbows and Brooks and Browns.
Posted By: Northcountry

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 10:52 AM

...about 25 trout, all sizes, are in a 4 foot circle. I can run a worm or crawler right on their back or in front of their nose, they won't bite.

I'm not questioning your ability to identify fish, but those would likely be spawning suckers this time of year, in the streams around me.

-NC

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 10:58 AM

I seen that one time in spring ,an it was when the weather took a turn for the cold , don't no if that had any thing to do with it , but they would not bite anything ,
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 11:25 AM

Chum them with a handful of worms first.

Ive never seen that.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Northcountry
...about 25 trout, all sizes, are in a 4 foot circle. I can run a worm or crawler right on their back or in front of their nose, they won't bite.

I'm not questioning your ability to identify fish, but those would likely be spawning suckers this time of year, in the streams around me.

-NC

My thoughts as well. Suckers are bunched up right now here.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 12:00 PM

Go upstream of the fish a ways and make the water muddy. Make it full the pool with muddy water
Now they will take a worm, used it many times to make trout go in the feed
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 12:12 PM

While doing what wet dog said look under stones for what kind and size the stone flies and other insects are there.
What minnows are natural there?
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: brook trout - 05/09/20 01:31 PM

Net them and see what they are.. release and try all thats listed above. laugh
© 2024 Trapperman Forums