Home

Favorite Pancake mix or recipe

Posted By: beeman

Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 12:32 PM

What’s everyone’s favorite pancake mix or recipe?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 12:41 PM

Krusteaz
Posted By: adam m

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 12:54 PM

Kodiak
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 01:03 PM

New Hope Mills pancake flour.(buckwheat) mix a couple eggs in it makes the flapjacks brown up nice.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 01:14 PM

Krusteaz
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 01:14 PM

Hungry Jack Buttermilk Complete
Posted By: nyrat

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 01:16 PM

new hope mills any of them
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 01:26 PM

What? Nobody makes them from scratch, anymore?
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 01:28 PM

i do , its easy and cheaper plus you can add or minus fm your recipe to your own tastes !
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 01:35 PM

flour,sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, olive oil, egg, milk. mix it up good and pour some in a skillet. add blueberries. cook both sides. mix butter, peanut butter and maple syrup together. heat it till it melts good. pour over the pancakes

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 01:40 PM

I'm with RdFx. Everything you need is already in the cupboard:
  • Flour
  • Baking Powder
  • salt
  • Sugar
  • Egg
  • Butter
Mix it all up and add any good stuff like:
  • Berries
  • chocolate chips
Fry until big bubbles appear on top;flip. Top; them with honey/maple/whipped cream, and maybe even some more fruit.

For even smoother batter make it up the night before, and let it age in the fridge overnight.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 03:04 PM

I like "grandmas" pancakes, She was a 5' Bavarian that made these all the time, comes out like a thick crepe, no baking powder needed.

2 cups flour, 2 cups milk, 4 eggs, pinch of salt
mix together and pour batter in butter, oil, shortening, lard,.....she used shortening, but probably used lard or goose fat in the old country, Lately we've been using Gee, or clarified butter, use enough to crisp the edges....
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 03:13 PM

Sturdiwheat Red Wing Mn, buckwheat, nut, raspberry, there all good! Whole Grain

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
I like "grandmas" pancakes... comes out like a thick crepe,

mix together and pour batter in butter, oil, shortening, lard,....
Now, there's a recipe I'm going to try. Especially now, since I am nearly overwhelmed with fresh eggs.

My wife says it sounds like the recipe her Swedish Grandmother used.
Posted By: elkantlers

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 05:23 PM

Here is my recipe for pancakes. Everyone that has ever tried them thinks they are awesome.

2 cups Krusteaz pankcake mix
1 Cup of Cottage cheese
1 Egg
couple drops of Vanilla

I know the Cottage cheese sounds weird but it very good and keeps the pancakes nice and moist.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/10/20 05:50 PM

T Rex, they are addicting...feel free to add some vanilla extract, or cinnamon, another German pancake recipe uses a little lemon juice mixed with butter as a drizzle, but just plain they're real good... grin
Posted By: keystone

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/11/20 12:24 AM

The mix don’t matter much but if you don’t have Mrs.Buttersworth there not worth making in the first place!!
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/11/20 12:37 AM

aaaahhhh yuk mrs buttersworth, corn syrup..... try real maple syrup or real nonpasturized honey......Mmmmmm good

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/11/20 12:43 AM

Aunt Jemima kicks Mrs. Buttercup's arse.

As if I'd know. Neither of those broads have come near my place since I started robbing honey bees, and home brewing maple syrup.
Posted By: keystone

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/11/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Aunt Jemima kicks Mrs. Buttercup's arse.

As if I'd know. Neither of those broads have come near my place since I started robbing honey bees, and home brewing maple syrup.

My Dad has bees so we get plenty of honey and a good buddy of mine does the maple syrup too. I never really cared for the maple flavor for some reason. I do love honey on biscuits but when it comes to pancakes Mrs.Buttersworth is where its at!!!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/11/20 03:16 AM

You want the most amazing pancakes? Use beer instead of water. They rise up about 3X and are as light as a cloud. Learned that trick a deer camp. We had everything there except water.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/11/20 03:18 AM

Half Bisquick and half hungry jack pancake mix, add an egg

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/12/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by gcs
mix together and pour batter in butter, oil, shortening, lard,..... use enough to crisp the edges....
I tried this for breakfast, this morning. It's so simple I did it from memory. OK, my memory ain't so great. I forgot the part I underlined. They came out pretty good, I even took one on the road with me today rolled up with peanut butter.

The wife's comment was "The ones my grandmother made had more crispy edges."

I'm going to try again tomorrow with the left over batter.

Thanks, gcs
Posted By: micheal

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/12/20 10:55 AM

Growing up, these were known as German pancakes
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/12/20 11:18 AM

My granddaughter and I make them from scratch almost every weekend:

1.5 cups All Purpose Flour
3.5 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 tablespoons Butter, melted
1 Egg
1.25 cup Milk

From late winter on we substitute buckwheat flour left over from making venison scrapple until it is used up.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/12/20 11:45 AM

My recipe is 1 cup of water, 1 cup of buckwheat flour, about a table spoon of sugar and a bit of yeast.
I use buckwheat flour, not buckwheat pancake mix. You used to be able to buy buckwheat flour in the grocery store. Now it's hard to find, but it can be had on Amazon.
I just mix everything together and let it rise overnight. If it's too thick I add a little more water before frying.
These are what my mother made when I was a kid. I would not eat store bought pancake mix. When I got old enough to go to deer camp, with my dad, I had to learn to eat pancake mix pancakes. It was all that was cooked up for breakfast and it was either that or nothing. I still don't care much for store bought pancake mix pancakes, I like my plain buckwheat flour pancakes.
My daughter and grand kids will not eat my buckwheat pancakes. They don't like the taste of them. I sure do, it's a very earthy taste.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/12/20 12:01 PM

There are Amish stores around here that sell buckwheat and all sorts of other hard-to-find dry goods.

Buckwheat pancake are much denser and have a much different texture and flavor than those made with wheat flour.

I mixed the buckwheat and wheat flour together at first to get my granddaughter to eat them. Now she loves them and is sad when the buckwheat runs out and we have to switch back to regular wheat flour.

I've never tried letting a batch sit overnight, might try that this winter after scrapple-making is done.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/12/20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
I've never tried letting a batch sit overnight,

And to keep the batch going all you have to do is add more buckwheat flour and water. The stuff keeps for a long time in the refrigerator. If you leave it set out, after a while it will start to sour. When it starts to sour it gets a different, and I find, a nice flavor.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/12/20 01:55 PM

my recipe is scale-able

1 cup flour
1 Tbls sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

1 egg
1 cup sour whole milk ( milk with a dash of vinegar to make it curdle)
2 Tbls oil

I like to reduce dishes so everything is mixed in one bowl and I eyeball some things that don't need to be super precise. if your bad at pouring approximate quantities measure them.

We typically make a triple batch
in a quart mason jar of milk add about 2 Tbls white vinegar do this first and let it sit while doing the rest (I eyeball the vinegar)

I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the dry ingredients ,crack my 3 eggs into the well break the yokes add my oil. ( I eyeball the oil a touch more won't hurt) then add most of the butter milk about 3/4 of it

Mix let stand 5 minutes (while the griddle heats up) , you may need to adjust the thickness at this point with more of the butter milk/sour milk.

I have mixed all the dry in a gallon bag to bring to deer camp and it works well to not have to measure much.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Favorite Pancake mix or recipe - 05/14/20 03:32 PM

Not working today. So made pancakes. made the batter I posted above and added some pecans from my tree I saved from last year and blueberries I bought. I mixed up the batter with broken pieces already in it. Still frozen blueberries are put on when the batter is poured into the skillet and gently pushed into the batter.

delicious. I am still full. those pecans were a great addition.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums