Home

Best crappie bait

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 02:19 PM

What is the best crappie bait for may in Ohio or whatever state your in. I use a leader with a minnow tied to it and a split shot above it and fish it with a minnow. Is there anything better and what do you use.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 02:26 PM

fathead minnows in a blue bucket.
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 02:32 PM

fathead minnows in a blue bucket With no handle.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 02:43 PM

Blue and white tube jig and a blue bucket to throw your crappie in or sit on if the fish ain't biting.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 02:50 PM

I haven't done crappie fishing in years.

But when I did....

I started with minnows, but they are a hassle, gotta always buy some or catch them (done both), keeping them alive is an issue, and a bucket of minnows is heavy.
I ended up using a fly rod with a tiny fly that was a copy of a freshwater scud. about 1/4 inch long. The fly was cream colored and showed up against the dark bottoms in the clear lakes I fished.
So it was easy to see, I could watch the fish slowly swim up to it and suck it in. All I needed was my rod and this tiny fly. I could fish as much as I wanted when I wanted with no more effort than picking up my rod and off I'd go.

I also found that this fly was more productive than minnows.

Of course situations vary and every dog has his day. But it worked for me, was easy and productive.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 03:01 PM

when I fished for them in Crappiethon tournaments it was minnows on gold hook OR trolling 1/32-1/16 oz jigs in a variety of colors, and WHEN you catch em on a certain color or 2, switch ALL jigs to those 2 colors.
Posted By: Kre

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 03:07 PM

These are my favorites

[Linked Image]
Puddle Jumpers
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 03:07 PM

The largest fatheads you can find.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 03:08 PM

I like using the same things I use for ice fishing. Minnows, small jigs like shrimpos with wax worms. Mini mites.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 03:15 PM

A double tailed jig carved out of beaver tail fat and soaked in salmon oil.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 04:42 PM

Live minnows
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 04:46 PM

Like most responders, I like fathead minnows best for crappie too.

Keith
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 04:47 PM

Small curly tail jigs under a small bobber. Just twitch it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 05:36 PM

Lively "speck minnie". If none were at hand, a "pinky" Jig about 1 1/2 or 2 inches long. These tiny lead-head jigs were pink with white feathers/marabou for a skirt. For decades these were used by the vast majority of central or northern Michigan crappie chasers, that most folks would refer to as "specks".....like Canadians do Brook Trout. It was short for speckled bass, another local name. We have both White and Black Crappie in Michigan, but Whites aren't found in most inland lakes. I have never caught a White Crappie in my home state.
Posted By: Siegs

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 05:51 PM

I'm not much of a tube jig kinda of guy.. Haven't had much luck. Curly tail grubs and double paddle tail scrubs have worked the best for me. Kalin's crappie scrub, specifically the chartreuse with a little white on the body has always worked wonders. Paired with a 1/16 oz chartreuse jig and a powerbait, fish go nuts. Caught 16 crappie and 1 gill 2 days ago within 2 hours. Good luck and happy fishing!
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 06:23 PM

Minners work pretty good and some curly tail grubs in black and blue with chartreuse tail. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 07:05 PM

Puddle Jumper under an adjustable casting float hooked on a 32nd ounce jig so they hang horizontally. Keep it moving slowly. Deadly in these waters.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 08:11 PM

As a kid, we always used live crickets with excellent success. Been 40 years since I caught a crappie.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTrash 88
Minners work pretty good and some curly tail grubs in black and blue with chartreuse tail. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very nice catches.Way to go.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 09:45 PM

Road runners ,,they pound em.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 10:20 PM

We would catch the first one by any means then just cut strips of skin off the bellies and use them. Worked great.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
We would catch the first one by any means then just cut strips of skin off the bellies and use them. Worked great.

And totally illegal in some states where using game fish or any part of a game fish is prohibited
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Best crappie bait - 05/10/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Originally Posted by The Beav

And totally illegal in some states where using game fish or any part of a game fish is prohibited

Not illegal in ALL states.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums