Home

Second one from the same house

Posted By: warrior

Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 12:50 AM

[Linked Image]

My sixth for the year, not counting swarms.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 12:52 AM

Wow
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 12:57 AM

How old is that hive? Do you keep them?
Posted By: jk

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 01:02 AM

I agree WOW......jk
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 01:03 AM

Wow

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Matt28

Looks to be third year. The upper honey comb has suffered a collapse at some point, twisted on its side, which rules out this year as does the dark comb. Also there's not enough bees for the amount of comb which tells me they're in the third year decline from varroa.
I usually keep them but this client is taking up beekeeping so they'll get them back once if get them back on their feet.

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 01:14 AM

Did the whole thing barehanded, to boot.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by Matt28

Looks to be third year. The upper honey comb has suffered a collapse at some point, twisted on its side, which rules out this year as does the dark comb. Also there's not enough bees for the amount of comb which tells me they're in the third year decline from varroa.
I usually keep them but this client is taking up beekeeping so they'll get them back once if get them back on their feet.

That's pretty neat. When you get them up on there feet do you requeen or treat them?

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 01:21 AM

I definitely treat. Mainly I just want a laying queen right off the bat. After evaluation I determine if they're worth a bought queen or deserving of a combine.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 01:27 AM

Sir, you are a man of many talents. From beavers to bees and land critters too.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 01:37 AM

My brother just got his package of bees from a place in Georgia today. Got them all nestled into their new super, so we will see how well southern bees like a 40 degree night followed by 4-5 days of rain.

Here in Illinois I have never seen a swarm, although this year I have heard of 2 in my town.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 06:23 AM

You keep posting these and gonna get me back into it LOL. What treatment you use on hem for the varroa mites?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 12:15 PM

Im Glad there's honey... thats as far as Ill go

Glad there are people who have a passion for them!

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/12/20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
You keep posting these and gonna get me back into it LOL. What treatment you use on hem for the varroa mites?

I rotate treatments to avoid resistance. I really like formic pro but can only use it in the spring here as it has temperature limitations. Apiguard is effective and easy to use and I use apivar when I need good clean up.
Posted By: meat eater

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/15/20 05:53 AM

I'm getting my first bees next week, have one hive put together, painted and ready, have another on the way but it'll be to late this year to get a second batch of bees unless I catch a swarm. Is there a preventative for mites? instead of fixing the problem after they get them can you do something to prevent them? Will it hurt to treat a hive if they don't have mites? My grandpa had bees the whole time I was growing up, man I wish he was still around to ask questions and get advise!
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/15/20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Im Glad there's honey... thats as far as Ill go

Glad there are people who have a passion for them!

X2!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/15/20 12:19 PM

that's crazy
Posted By: CajunMan

Re: Second one from the same house - 05/15/20 01:55 PM

I can’t ever get good easy removals like that. I alway get the calls where I have to crawl under a mobile home or camper trailer so that mess can drip all over me !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums