Home

Salmo Hornet lure

Posted By: midlander

Salmo Hornet lure - 05/13/20 12:12 AM

Any Walleye anglers have much experience with these? Very hard to find a dive chart for these lures using 10lb mono. They are getting good reviews and id like to try running them on Saginaw Bay.
Posted By: crane

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/13/20 01:21 AM

I use the number 4 hornets mostly and they work very well. One of my favorite trolling lures for shallow water walleye. Line counter reels and the Precision Trolling app would be the best for keeping track of and knowing how much line to let out for the different size lures. Hot perch, black tiger, and real sunfish are my favorites. I mainly troll them in 2 to 5 feet of water around 2 mph.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/13/20 01:31 AM

Jason Mitchell in ND promotes them a lot. He might have some info on this website or shows.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/13/20 02:13 AM

I'm a fan of Birkley flicker shad lures firetiger, and there are many others that work equally as well .
Allan

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/13/20 02:36 AM

Thanks all. Salmo lists dive charts using 10lb braid, not in mono, which seems the standard for fishing around here. (I beleive Salmo is a Polish company..?) I have an assortment of the typical flicker shads, hot n tots and the like but intrigued by these hornets. They are a little pricey, but ill give em a shot. Later in season, Ill switch primarily to spoon harnesses that i tie myself...seem to do really well on those. Thanks again, Ill update my results in the very near future
Posted By: Waz

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/14/20 01:08 PM

Not sure of a dive curve, we mainly toss them into open pockets in the weeds, or along the weed edges. Hot perch is a good color as is silver blue shad and dalmation. Not seeing a real sunfish on their website, but may add black tiger to my aresenal as it was suggested here.
Would like to see one of those spoon harneses?
Posted By: Suchlike2

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/14/20 03:00 PM

I use them alot. Great lure. Hot perch is a good one and a handful of others. Pull on 10 pound braid in shallow water and run on my lead core lines over on the river. Produce fish all year long.
Posted By: crane

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/14/20 05:30 PM

[Linked Image]
Real sunfish. Maybe it's been discontinued not sure.
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/14/20 07:47 PM

I love them in viking color for walleyes. Smallmouth love them as well.
Posted By: Dirk

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/14/20 09:02 PM

I fish the salmo #4 in rivers trolling upstream 1.5 mph, i cast it out let some line out and go in 7-10'. Haven't bought any other kind of crank bait in over ten years. Crappies love them also

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/14/20 10:59 PM

Never posted a photo before but ill give it a try....

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/14/20 11:12 PM

Sorry, I took a pic, just cant figure out how to get it uploaded.

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/14/20 11:44 PM

[Linked Image]

Attached picture image_01.png

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/14/20 11:49 PM

I prefer the Silver Streak Jr Streak spoons. They seem to be able to maintain a proper wobble at slower speeds. Typically I will pull them 1.7 early on and then as the water warms up later this summer I'll go up to 2.2.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/15/20 11:31 AM

#3 hornets match the early summer forage shallow walleyes and large crappie key on in the lake I fish most. Hot color varies but mostly blue or black/silver and perch.
Posted By: Waz

Re: Salmo Hornet lure - 05/16/20 12:43 AM

Thanks Midlander
© 2024 Trapperman Forums