Home

Furshed (please help)

Posted By: MySide 🦝

Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 09:26 PM

I'm sure some of you have seen my "Furshed - Basement???" post, but I still have some questions.

1. How would I insulate the barn, would I use insulation and vapour barrier? Or can I just use insulation?
2. Since the barn has a dirt floor, when/if I make a wood floor will I have to worry about moisture coming up through and wrecking my furs?

Thanks.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 09:39 PM

Barns, if they have a good roof, are notoriously dry. That's why they find 75 year old cars that haven't rusted into the ground. For the floor, you could just lay a framework of pressure treated lumber with plywood on top. I would probably just use some type of foam board for insulation. Less chance of the mice hording it for nests. I wouldn't worry about moisture. If you have it heated and a good roof, that should not be an issue.

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
Barns, if they have a good roof, are notoriously dry. That's why they find 75 year old cars that haven't rusted into the ground. For the floor, you could just lay a framework of pressure treated lumber with plywood on top. I would probably just use some type of foam board for insulation. Less chance of the mice hording it for nests. I wouldn't worry about moisture. If you have it heated and a good roof, that should not be an issue.

Thank you so much!!! So I wouldn't need a vapour barrier then?

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by MySide 🦝
Originally Posted by Finster

Thank you so much!!! So I wouldn't need a vapour barrier then?

It all depends on what the barn is like. Is it dry like a good barn is? If so, I wouldn't worry about moisture. I'm no expert, just common sense.

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 09:48 PM

If you really want to get carried away, you could pour a couple pilasters and build the frame a foot or two above the dirt floor. Moisture would never be an issue then.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 09:49 PM

I would definitely recommend a vapor barrier.

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 09:50 PM

Yeah the barn is pretty dry, it's actually a wood shed and it has a metal roof.

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by vermontster
I would definitely recommend a vapor barrier.

Ok, yeah I'll take that into consideration, I do live in canada so it can be pretty wet at times.

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 10:19 PM

Without a vapor barrier and a heated space above the dirt floor the moisture will be drawn up into the structure or into the insulation in the walls and floor especially if it’s fiberglass insulation. Once fiberglass is wet it ruins the R value and can grow mold. Plus if you use drywall it will grow mold on the backside.

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 10:24 PM

Without a vapor barrier and a heated space above the dirt floor the moisture will be drawn up into the structure or into the insulation in the walls and floor especially if it’s fiberglass insulation. Once fiberglass is wet it ruins the R value and can grow mold. Plus if you use drywall it will grow mold on the backside.

I know this may sound like a dumb question but, when I do make my floor, would I need to put a vapour barrier down between the dirt and wood?

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 10:39 PM

Yes and the only dumb question is the one never asked.

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/13/20 10:56 PM

Yes and the only dumb question is the one never asked.

Ok, great thanks!!!
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Furshed (please help) - 05/14/20 01:10 AM

Is the dirt damp or dust ? There have been millions of furs put up in sheds with dirt floors and no vapor bariers . If the dirt is damp dig a water way around the shed so the run off runs around the shed
© 2024 Trapperman Forums