Posted By: Michael Lippold

Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 12:02 AM

What says the trapperman brain trust?
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 12:09 AM

Not if you keep moisture out of it.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 12:19 AM

I'd say no. It's just refined oil. How old you talkin? Be **** sure you filter it well.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 12:34 AM

It will grow algee.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 12:36 AM

Yes, it does. Google "diesel fuel degradation in storage." When I worked at a nuclear power plant it was a concern for fuel stored for our emergency diesel generators used to power essential safe shutdown equipment in the event of a loss of normal power sources. The diesels were test run regularly but the fuel consumption was minuscule compared to the quantity in storage.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 12:51 AM

We store diesel fuel for long periods of time, but we usually put additives in it.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
We store diesel fuel for long periods of time, but we usually put additives in it.

Yes. If you have freeze up try Rescue 911. That stuff un-gells the fuel in the injector lines.

Our Winter fuel comes with additives from the supplier. We use Landmark fuels.
Posted By: run

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 01:23 AM

Yes.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 01:36 AM

The answer "yes" is correct. There is not enough sulfur in low sulfur diesel to prevent the formation of bacteria. Once enough bacteria has formed it can possibly plug your fuel filter(s).
I believe farm grade diesel is still old school high sulfur and does not have the degradation problem.

There are companies that clean tanks at the OTR truck stops, filter the fuel to remove the bacteria, pump it back in, and add a bactericide to prevent future growth
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 01:37 AM

Check out the youtube videos of restoring old trucks. They regularly run engines with 20-40 year old fuel.

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 01:45 AM

I had ordered 300 gallons of gas and put it in a barrel I had given to me. Went to put a new hose on tonight and add additive in it and realized it had a pin hole in the bottom and was dripping. So my grand dad gave me a barrel to replace it with that he doesn’t use anymore. Probably has 50 gallons of diesel in it he says atleast 3 years old
Posted By: jburson

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 01:47 AM

It WILL grow algae lots more so if not treated will a biocide. Bio-Diesel, (even B10 or B05) is highly hydroscopic (absorbs water easily). If you store it long term you will need to treat it before use. How much so depends on what you will use it ie burning in a boiler vs older mechanical injection engine vs newer common rail system. The storage tank should be pressed up almost all the way to the top to keep air contact to a minimum.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 01:47 AM

That's the time they reduced the sulfur concentration 35 years ago. Now 3 years old and it is sludge.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 01:57 AM

Yes I agree with black plague. I think what the guys are talking about is the black stuff that grows in the water in the bottom of the tank. It will foul-up a fuel filter quick. We have had years of problems with that. (keep the tank full and water can not condense on the inside of the tank.
Posted By: white17

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Lippold
I had ordered 300 gallons of gas and put it in a barrel I had given to me. Went to put a new hose on tonight and add additive in it and realized it had a pin hole in the bottom and was dripping. So my grand dad gave me a barrel to replace it with that he doesn’t use anymore. Probably has 50 gallons of diesel in it he says atleast 3 years old

A little trick if you have a gasoline leak like that in the future. Locate the hole and rub it with a dry bar of soap. It will plug it right now. Keep it dry and it will hold for a long time

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 03:29 AM

White that is interesting. I’ve got to mess with it in the morning I might just try that
Posted By: Short Track

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 03:31 AM

I was a GM mechanic. It does indeed grow Algae.
Posted By: white17

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Lippold
White that is interesting. I’ve got to mess with it in the morning I might just try that

Hopefully it works. It will at least give you some time to come up with a more permanent fix
Posted By: EdP

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 11:40 AM

It is common that folks use "hydroscopic" when they mean "Hygroscopic." They do sound very much the same but are actually quite different.

Hydroscopic has to do with viewing objects below the surface of water, for instance by means of an instrument (a hydroscope).

Hygroscopic has to do with the ability of a substance to absorb water from the air.
Posted By: run

Re: Does diesel fuel go bad - 05/15/20 11:44 AM

Thanks, Edp.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums