Home

The "ultimate" trapping hammer?

Posted By: Rain Man

The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 06:49 AM

I saw this guy's modification on YouTube and think he'll end up having a few less fingers by the end of the trapping season. He welded on a fence staple remover and a blade to use for an ax. Anyone have any thoughts on this being a good tool?

Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 06:53 AM

He's an accomplished trapper and fur handler so I'm sure he knows what he's doing, but what I did was sharpen the end of my trowel end on my hammer with a grinder so I could cut roots and then I use my heavy duty cutting pliers if I need to snip small saplings.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 09:38 AM

It would be interesting to watch him drive a staple in with it.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R
It would be interesting to watch him drive a staple in with it.

Back of his left hand might be all scarred up from the stitches.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 11:23 AM

You should ask him. I've seen him post on here a time or two.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 11:38 AM

He drove staples in the video...I like it and may build my own. And tweak the design for my needs.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 12:57 PM

Regular framing hammer works great for pulling fence staples. I would rather have separate tool in the truck for each job. If you're in root country carry a small axe to chop out trap beds if needed.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 01:03 PM

Ok, he did lots better driving the staple than I do wearing my bifocals.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 01:22 PM

Think you might as well use a sod buster by the time you add all the extras to your hammer. Sharpen the digger blade side if you need a bit more bite. Never had much issues getting through roots with any of the sod buster type jammers. I carry a masonry hammer for remakes
Posted By: The Beav

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 02:00 PM

Some good ideas but if you carry that hammer In your bucket that staple hook Is going to hang up on every thing In the bucket. And I would rather have a larger driving surface for driving stakes.

But he said It works for him and that's all that counts. But I still don't thing there Is anything out there that you could call the perfect trapping hammer.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 02:18 PM

If you have to pack your gear very far, that might be a great tool. Trapping pastures from the pickup bed or a side by side, I can have lots of heavy specizxed tools. An Estwing and a pick ax for chopping up the crust and a 2,6, and 10 pound sledge for pounding on basically anything needs pounding
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I saw this guy's modification on YouTube and think he'll end up having a few less fingers by the end of the trapping season. He welded on a fence staple remover and a blade to use for an ax. Anyone have any thoughts on this being a good tool?

This guy knows what hes doing, I've been watching him for years.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 04:21 PM

I’ve been running that hammer for several years. Don’t have all the stuff welded on my twin but they work well. It is a little weak driving stakes but will get the job done. It shines bedding the trap.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 04:38 PM

Like mentioned about the danger in hitting your hand with that welded plate. He designed that hammer specifically for himself. Be careful if you try to make this and use it.
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: The "ultimate" trapping hammer? - 05/17/20 05:53 PM

Yep works good for him but if I had that hammer I would either chop my fingers off or I would miss the staple and cut my cable in half. Probably both.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums