Home

17 year Cricket thing

Posted By: Scuba1

17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 12:56 PM

So I have not been this side of the pond long enough to witness one of these events. I am getting some conflicting info here. So this 17 year cycle .. they are locusts right not crickets and after a couple weeks its all over for another 17 years ? And if the are locusts, I better eat my salad now I am guessing before they munch it down to the ground ?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:03 PM

Get chickens problem solved whatever they are.
Posted By: RP3543

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:05 PM

They're called Cicada
https://www.cicadamania.com/where.html
Posted By: woodtick

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:05 PM

Just heard about that on the radio, the sound of them can reach up to over 100 decibels
Posted By: Cragar

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:08 PM

Cicadas.

17 year cycle. When they emerge , you will see them everywhere. Noisy , poor flying skills , will bump into everything. Very noisy as they emerge to mate. After mating , and laying eggs they die. Eggs hatch and the nymphs will go under ground and the feed on roots of trees feeding on sap. 17 years later it repeats again.

Had them a few years ago here , next emerge in 2030 in my area.
Posted By: cohunt

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:10 PM

IF the critters you are hearing/seeing are indeed 17 year locusts, they are a large headed insect with multiveined wings and sing a lot. Each generation takes many years to live through their various life forms and lives as an adult(what they are now if you hear them singing loudly) for a period in the summer before mating, laying eggs and dying. HOWEVER, there are many more generations stacked up behind this one so the next generation will become adult NEXT summer and do its best to repeat. The 17 year name is likely not very accurate. There is lots of bad science/folklore about these insects and their close relatives.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:10 PM

When there are big hatches the buzz they make will last 24/7 for weeks on end. You're a southerner now Scuba. This is one critter we don't fry for eatin'.

Edit: If you had come to shore in Louisiana the eatin' rule may not apply. I reckon those Cajuns might have a blackened cicada recipe. They'll eat just about anything.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:17 PM

When I lived in Illinois both the 13 year and 17 year cicadas came out one year, and it was like a plague of biblical proportions. They were absolutely everywhere. Probably billions of them. If you went on a walk at night, they sidewalks would be covered with the babies fresh out of the ground crawling to find a tree to climb up. During the day the adults would fly everywhere, theyd get into your home and car and everything. The lab loved it, he'd eat so many that he's puke. Hed find them in the grass and crunch them up and it was hilarious to hear then buzzing around inside his mouth as he chewed. It became a game for him to hunt up as many as he could.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:19 PM

There's a 13 and 17 year cycle hatches plus an annual cicada. Next year will be a 17 year hatch in TN and 24 for the 13

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
When there are big hatches the buzz they make will last 24/7 for weeks on end. You're a southerner now Scuba. This is one critter we don't fry for eatin'.

Edit: If you had come to shore in Louisiana the eatin' rule may not apply. I reckon those Cajuns might have a blackened cicada recipe. They'll eat just about anything.

Flying crayfish gumbo anyone ??

laugh
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:24 PM

Turkey hatchling survival rates go up quite a bit on the years when the cicadas emerge. Great source of protein for the wild turkeys and other critters as well.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
Turkey hatchling survival rates go up quite a bit on the years when the cicadas emerge. Great source of protein for the wild turkeys and other critters as well.

I wonder if there are any coyote baits with a cicada base?
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:45 PM

Cicadas reek really bad when opened up. Squashing one will clear a room. Good luck eating any!

We have 'em every summer in WI. Some years we see a couple dozen all summer. Some years there's a half dozen in every tall tree and it's pretty deafening. Never seen the thousands the Southerners are talking about. That many singing at once would make quite a racket!

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 01:47 PM

Probably not any commercial ones, at least not from major lure makers. To have enough cicadas to last between hatches would get expensive. I'd like to see Hal and Paul running around with butterfly nets all summer catching locusts and loading them into freezer trucks.

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 02:01 PM

One of the fun things about the periodical hatches is when you catch one, they're very good missiles. Theyll fly straight on the initial direction for at least 20ft
Posted By: warrior

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 02:17 PM

There's also annual cicada species.

Another thing that I've observed and has recently been confirmed by a study out of Texas. If you have a site populated by a large numbers of white and post oaks you could see an influx of copperheads when cicadas emerge. Reason being is cicadas feed on the roots of these trees and a large emergence is food to copperheads.
Posted By: hippie

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 02:22 PM

Great to use for fishing Scuba.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 03:13 PM

There are different species. A 17 year version. A 4 year version. Once a year version. Etc etc etc. In the mid to late 80s they were everywhere on top of eachother that summer.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 03:22 PM

cicadas typically happen in older neighborhoods or places that never get plowed.

they are worst on cycle years but some before and after and always a few around

on a cycle years they are so thick they can die in such numbers as they make the road slippery with their wings .

Lake Geneva WI had them Bad in the old neighborhoods in the early 90s

they take adult form from their many years in nymph larval form fly /jump breed lay eggs and die in a matter of a few weeks.

they don't bite and they really are not crop damaging in the adult stage.

they live in the soil as nymphs for years , some hatch every rear but the 13-17 year brood cycle which is not the same year for all places is supposed to be this year for many places.

I have been wondering about the increased use of lawn sprays that kill all insects and how that will effect the Brood year.

my neighborhood had a small brood year about 2006-2007 I don't recall they year exactly it will be interesting to see how it is this year we get a few every year.

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 03:50 PM

Looks like I will have a bunch of them then as none of my property has ever been plowed and I have a bunch of oak trees on it . Some loud times ahead then by the looks of it. Beats the mixed " live" music from the bars on the shore when the wind was wrong I guess.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 05:11 PM

John Deere weed whackers will attract cicadas as I found out in 1976. If you rev the weed whackers near a tree the cicadas are on, with the string held high, they will fly into their doom enmasse and the guard prevents you from becoming juicy.

All the trees in your area will have almost all of their small branches pruned short by the cicadas cutting them to lay eggs in them.

I once saw a group of 60 bikers on I-70 driving along at around 5 miles an hour, covered in cicadas. They were likely greatly regretting their decisions to not wear helmets.

Keith
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 06:18 PM

We have a cicada killer hornets here about 3-4 times larger then a mud dabbler type but the same color.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 09:21 PM

When they come out the noise will drive you crazy. The military should record the sound and use it to get info from terrorists!
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 09:29 PM

Scuba, they crawl out of the ground, shed their skin, hollar a couple weeks, mate, lay eggs and die, only damage is small dead branches on trees where they deposit their eggs. and they are gone for 17 years. they eat nothing after they emerge. so many of them flying and landing everywhere the bass fishing sux.
RR
Posted By: white marlin

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 10:33 PM

tie up a few cicada trout flies while you have the chance...once they emerge, you'll want to be on the cricks.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 10:43 PM

Are these the same "locusts" that leave empty shells on all the trees and utility poles?
I'm still not convinced everyone is on the same page with locusts, cicadas, grasshoppers,......
I do know a "locust" in Nebraska will about take you off the seat of a motorcycle when you take one in the face at night.

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 11:07 PM

Well I do know the African Locust .. we had them blow over at times in summer easterly storms on the Canary islands. Worst one I have seen was everything covered in those things about 2 inches deep . I left the motorcycle on its stand after day one.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/21/20 11:29 PM

Links to a few YouTube videos about cicadas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwOnxKNIQHg

More available at- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Cicadas
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/22/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin
tie up a few cicada trout flies while you have the chance...once they emerge, you'll want to be on the cricks.

I heard that!!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/22/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
There's also annual cicada species..

yep, find their skeletons on our tires/trees, etc, often where they've shed.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: 17 year Cricket thing - 05/22/20 01:27 AM

We have them yearly South of you. And their noise is both calming and deafening. Generally means Summertime down here.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums