Home

Tax question

Posted By: coonman220

Tax question - 05/21/20 08:32 PM

If u owe back taxes. An are in a payment plan,or not in 1, I know they can take ur tax refund or lottery prize, can they take state unemployment check benifits. ? I don't think so
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Tax question - 05/21/20 08:38 PM

It's the IRS with the Fed Govt. Pretty sure they can do whatever they want. I wouldn't think they would take your unemployment but they could if they wanted.

Re: Tax question - 05/21/20 08:44 PM

They can offset tax refund or lottery prize. I not thinking they could take a unemployment. Check , never heard it, not sure if trust call them an ask such question

Re: Tax question - 05/21/20 08:49 PM

You have been encouraged to contact a lawyer that will help you through the problem. I think that is good advice. The IRS will work with you. There are folks in much deeper doodoo than you are.

Re: Tax question - 05/21/20 09:01 PM

Ya. I was lay off for cpl weeks. I cant imagine them taking a ui check , tax refund for a year. They well for sure
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Tax question - 05/21/20 09:54 PM

The IRS will work with you,ha ha ha, speaking from experience get in front of this or it will only get worse and more expensive.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Tax question - 05/21/20 10:23 PM

Get it taken care of or one day soon they will introduce you to your new roommate that goes by the name of Bubba!!!!

Re: Tax question - 05/21/20 10:47 PM

I personally know a fella that got a letter from the IRS that said "you owe us $250,000". He sent them a letter that said "**** you. I paid you. I owe you nothing." The next letter said "Okay, you now owe $500,000"
You don't win against the IRS
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Tax question - 05/21/20 11:54 PM

If you have initiated a formal partial payment process the IRS will not take other funds unless you direct federal tax refunds to be used to pay back taxes or as a credit for future federal taxes. I don't know what IA may be doing regarding UE as UE is a state program not federal, if you owe IA back taxes. Also remember that in almost all cases UE comes with no taxes taken out federal or state and it is taxable so make sure that you have monies set aside for those payments. There will be millions that never received UE this coming year that will have to deal with that. That is how it was when I finished doing taxes, maybe there are witholdings now.

Bryce
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Tax question - 05/21/20 11:56 PM

In Wisconsin at least you can opt in to have federal and state taxes withheld from unemployment payments.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 12:15 AM

Big brother is watching!
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
They can offset tax refund or lottery prize. I not thinking they could take a unemployment. Check , never heard it, not sure if trust call them an ask such question

They can levy your bank account, and if money (unemployment payment) is deposited they can take it. But they can also put you in a non collection status or something like that because your unemployed. But you have talk to them and have a lawyer discus it.

Dave, contact a tax lawyer and talk to them. None of us are tax lawyers. We can’t give you advice on what you should do or not do.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by tlguy
In Wisconsin at least you can opt in to have federal and state taxes withheld from unemployment payments.

Iowa is the same.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 01:55 AM

coonman-If you are saying you still have not received your Unemployment check, if Iowa is anything like the situation in Wisconsin, they are completely overwhelmed and you still need to be patient. I know in Wisconsin there are thousands and thousands of people still waiting for their Unemployment funds. Really a sad situation but not a whole lot you can do but wait.

Moosetrot
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 02:04 AM

If u owe back taxes. An are in a payment plan,or not in 1, I know they can take ur tax refund or lottery prize, can they take state unemployment check benifits. ? I don't think so

Yup Coonman,

They can and will take everything to satisfy your tax debt.

They will even seize your traps and sell them to the highest bidder.

They will seize your Colorado pickup and sell it for scrap.

Just pay your taxes like everyone else, or you are screwed.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 02:19 AM

You owe,.you pay,..many sanctuary cities depend on it!
Posted By: charles

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 02:24 AM

In the 70s I was the payroll manager for a company of about 500 employees. Several times per year the IRS, state or county would contact us about overdue taxes owed by an employee. The IRS didn’t mess around. They garnished an employees entire check, plus cleaned out any funds held in the bank. If a person back then earned $400 per week, and netted $300, the IRS took the entire gross amount every payday. That employee probably owed state and property taxes as well, and had a health insurance deduction, but since the IRS took everything, all else went unpaid. They were serious about unpaid taxes.

Can’t speak to today’s rules on garnishments.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 02:41 AM

Coonman

Why do you keep asking for advice, when you won't listen to any of it?
You got a stimulus check
If you had a real problem they wouldn't have give you one.
I advised you to cash it and save it for hard times.

The last thing I would do is call them.

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 03:19 AM

Wow I guess a bad question, I already made a payment plan out, I have got 1 letter from them an that why i made payment plan out. I would think before they come an take ur traps ur vechile an cloths off ur back, they would send more letters first
Posted By: Boco

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 03:26 AM

Coonman-open an offshore bank account-thats how the big professional tax evaders do it.That way the gov't cant get their hands on your fur money.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed

Yup Coonman,

They can and will take everything to satisfy your tax debt.

They will even seize your traps and sell them to the highest bidder.

They will seize your Colorado pickup and sell it for scrap.

Just pay your taxes like everyone else, or you are screwed.

LOL,,
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 03:55 AM

I would think before they come an take ur traps ur vechile an cloths off ur back, they would send more letters first

No more letters.They send you one and that's it.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 04:09 AM

Wow I guess a bad question, I already made a payment plan out, I have got 1 letter from them an that why i made payment plan out. I would think before they come an take ur traps ur vechile an cloths off ur back, they would send more letters first

If you set up a payment plan with them and are current on those payments, they won't take any more actions. You worry too much Dave.

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 01:22 PM

Coonman
1 letter from the IRS is like a Christmas card!
They don't want your traps or vechile; they want your money $
They can't take away your birthday
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Tax question - 05/22/20 10:52 PM

They can and do put liens on real estate and other property if needed. I hope you stick with your partial payment plan. You skip a few or stop and they will get what they need. Again in the future if you can't pay, file on time and save yourself almost half the cost. We just need to remember they could not get Capone for how many murders but they got him for evading taxes.

Bryce

Re: Tax question - 05/23/20 02:43 AM

Wow I would think before they come an take ur traps ur vechile an cloths off ur back, they would send more letters first

Better Pay Uppa...........Or It's BOHICA !!!! shocked

Re: Tax question - 05/23/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Coonman-open an offshore bank account-thats how the big professional tax evaders do it.That way the gov't cant get their hands on your fur money.

I wouldn't take advice from Boco
That offshore account is what made the paper trail to nail you.
Quit shipping your fur to Canada they caught you at the border.
Stay safe sell to that Groeny guy

Re: Tax question - 05/23/20 02:37 PM

The paperwork or bill I got. Say that even if in payment plan , that csn offset any state payments. I know that automaticslly take tax refund or lottery prize. Possibly other stuff they csn that I don't get, I doubt unemployment they csn take. Google it an don't see it, I try csll yesterday an ask, no answear. I don't know if should csll an ask agsin, i doubt they go that far. Unless real bad off in collections. Or much more delinquent , they well take ur refund from a tax year if u owe. Block u from getting auto license renewal if broke payment plan
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Tax question - 05/23/20 02:39 PM

you're good coonman--go have a lil bar b que with family and friends and enjoy yourself for a change. wink

Re: Tax question - 05/23/20 02:43 PM

Looks like they don’t take unemployment checks, but they can take the money if it is deposited in your account.

Relax a little Dave, you’re going to give yourself a stroke.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-irs-garnish-unemployment-benefits-for-unpaid-t-277994.html

Attached picture B97265A0-4F5C-4769-A1C4-5310CEA85D4C.png

Re: Tax question - 05/23/20 03:05 PM

This is with the state , not the irs, I plan on contact the irs next week. They have not even sent me a bill yet, so I have time with them , they well send nasty letters before take ur bank acct. There be warnings. There no warnings about off set tax refund or lottery prize, it gone. I don't think they can take u e

Re: Tax question - 05/23/20 03:35 PM

This is with the state , not the irs, I plan on contact the irs next week. They have not even sent me a bill yet, so I have time with them , they well send nasty letters before take ur bank acct. There be warnings. There no warnings about off set tax refund or lottery prize, it gone. I don't think they can take u e

Yup

Re: Tax question - 05/24/20 02:50 AM

They're definitely taking your traps, coonman.

Maybe you'll probably be able to buy them back,

though, on the trap shed at a hefty markup.

I'd scrap that Colorado quick before

the "State Tax Repo-Man" gets hooked onto it

early some morning while ur asleep.

He could strike at any time, without warning !!! shocked

Better sleep with one eye open.

Re: Tax question - 05/24/20 03:19 AM

Stock up enough Beanie Weenies to last 2 weeks, with the rest of your stimulus check.
Walleyed might be right but it will take at least 2 weeks to get your traps.
Get on a computer and check out Waco & Ruby Ridge.
He might be right about sleeping with one eye open and get a good Pitbull to guard your trap shed.

Re: Tax question - 05/24/20 03:24 AM

I’ll bid $5 for the lot of traps, maybe $10 if they are speed dipped. But only if the colony traps are black....

Not the Colorado though, too many miles. Might need timing belt or brakes. I’ll offer $10 for the trouble of taking off his hands. He pays... lol... taxes.... for the transfer......

Maybe sleep with both eyes open, they are always out to get you... nasty letters and all!

Re: Tax question - 05/24/20 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by dkrug
Stock up enough Beanie Weenies to last 2 weeks, with the rest of your stimulus check.
Walleyed might be right but it will take at least 2 weeks to get your traps.
Get on a computer and check out Waco & Ruby Ridge.
He might be right about sleeping with one eye open and get a good Pitbull to guard your trap shed.

Government murderers!!!! mad mad
© 2024 Trapperman Forums