Home

Utility Saw

Posted By: Pike River

Utility Saw - 05/22/20 12:39 AM

I just picked up my saw from the shop. Said its on its last legs, run it till it blows up.

I've never bought a new saw. Always traded or something else for a saw. Albeit not very good ones but they did their job after I tuned them.

Well.....I'm tired but I'm still cheap. What would be a good saw for fire wood and some felling? Can he specific or general.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 12:40 AM

Husqvarna

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Husqvarna

I'm really leaning towards them but are the price poimts worth it?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Husqvarna

I'm really leaning towards them but are the price poimts worth it?

Yup.You get what you pay for.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 01:05 AM

Pike,
ckeck out the Echo CS-590. Retail, $399. I've been using one for about 4 years and am pretty impressed. I use a 24" bar most of the time.
I don't think the 455 or 460 Husky with cut any better.

I used big Jonsereds for decades, and unless your dropping big trees all the time looks like the 60cc category is the way to go.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 01:40 AM

how big of wood you cutting

I like my Jonsered 2255 it is the red case version of the Husky 455 very good all around fire wood saw I think however it runs best with an 18 inch bar.

if your falling larger wood then a bigger saw

to keep a happy bar to displacement divide CC by 3

55/3=18.3inches
Posted By: KS Yote Trapper

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 01:57 AM

Echo. My echo cuts circles around my husqvarna and weighs about half as much. Cut all day and not so wore out at end of day.
Posted By: corky

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 02:06 AM

Never had a problem with my Stihl.
Posted By: coalminer

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 02:11 AM

Have a Stihl CS261, little pricey but a really good strong saw.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 04:00 AM

echo I run a cs500p 18"bar.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 04:13 AM

Stihl,,buy once cry once.

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I like my Jonsered 2255 it is the red case version of the Husky 455 very good all around fire wood saw I think however it runs best with an 18 inch bar.

55/3=18.3inches

Honestly.....never even heard of Jonsered. Ill check them out.

An 18" bar is more than enough for me.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 10:22 AM

Can't go wrong with Stihl 261. Cut hundreds of cords of firewood with the saw and still going strong.
Posted By: keets

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 11:32 AM

love my echo...it's better than the husky it replaced
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 11:43 AM

I'm with the Stihl guys here. Never had a problem with mine.
Posted By: Prn

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Stihl,,buy once cry once.

Agree, it hurts at first. It is a great investment. If you are not doing daily sawing, it will last your lifetime and possibly someone elses.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 01:00 PM

My new farm boss stihl has broke down twice in 3 yrs
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 02:10 PM

My brother trims trees out of our local union hall. The company he works for has Husqvarna and stihl saws, he says its a race to see who can get to the Husqvarna first because the stihls are problem children.

That being said his personal saws are both Echos.

Re: Utility Saw - 05/22/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River

55/3=18.3inches

Honestly.....never even heard of Jonsered. Ill check them out.

An 18" bar is more than enough for me.

Jonsered is owned by Husquvarna it is a Husky in a red case with a slightly different grip angle.

I just happen to have a very good Jonsered dealer close by and he helped me out with my Stihl a few times so when I was ready for a new saw there was no question I was buying from him.

the box stores will typically only have a 20 inch bar on the 455 rancher , if you get it from a dealer who works on them they will have an 18 inch bar

Baileys online will run deals on their chain have seen it as low as 10-11 dollars a chain https://www.baileysonline.com/woodlandpro-38rc-3-8-x-058-chisel-chainsaw-chain-wpp-38rc.html

I prefer the 0.058 3/8 chisel chain 68 drive links to Semi chisel but that cuts and sharpens well also Carlton, oregon and Husky chisels , semi chisels chain are also good

I think Carlton makes the chain for Baylies online wodland pro brand but not positive

I hand sharpen with a file and vice it is not difficult nor expensive a file is 2-3 dollars , a raker gauge and raker file another 6-7

if you get into a bunch of pine and you want to set the rakers lower and take a bigger chip you can

you can tailor the chain to your preference and the chains last a long time when your only taking off what is needed for a new edge and not a grinder making all the same.

files do wear out when it isn't cutting right scrap it
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Utility Saw - 05/23/20 04:26 AM

Stihl or husqvarna are great saws
Flip a coin
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Utility Saw - 05/23/20 04:51 AM

I’m still running a 1958 sthil
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Utility Saw - 05/23/20 12:31 PM

I've had echos since they first came out. Never have let me down, and both are cuttin buggers! Very happy with them!
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Utility Saw - 05/23/20 04:38 PM

40 years in the tree game, using every size Stihl made.

When I retired I bought a new Husky 562 for a change of color. All I can say is Wow, what an excellent saw. I wish I would have bought it 10 years ago.

WS
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Utility Saw - 05/23/20 05:36 PM

The color of the saw is not as important as the service place near by. Unless one does the repairs and services at home. Then its just a question of getting the parts
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Utility Saw - 05/24/20 06:19 PM

I'd get a Makita 6421. It's the best cutting saw I've ever owned. German (Dolmar) engineering backed by Japanese manufacturing.

It is equipped with an easy start system, and starts right up on the coldest of days.

All it takes to restart, or start in warm weather is:
  • Pop off carb cover.
  • remove spark plug wire and plug
  • hand crank a time or two
  • replace spark plug and wire
  • replace carb cover
  • pull out choke and push back in to set throttle
  • yank on rope a time or two

Make sure it has plenty of gas and oil because every restart requires the same process.

Did I mention it is exactly the same saw as the 7900? It just equipped with a smaller piston. So, it is way heavier than it needs to be, although not burdened with excess power.

Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Utility Saw - 05/24/20 09:16 PM

My son just "Borrowed" my Homelite Xl12 that used to be my Dads, 60 years old and still fires up and cuts had a hard time explaining the manual oiler to him That said my neighbor brought down his Stihl it had a gear you turned for tightening the chain and a plastic knob you tightened to hold the bar on Probably not an expensive version you do get what you pay for and if you use it your probably gonna have to fix it at some point doesnt matter whose name is on it
Posted By: Clark

Re: Utility Saw - 05/24/20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I'd get a Makita 6421...All it takes to restart, or start in warm weather is:
  • Pop off carb cover.
  • replace carb cover

Make sure it has plenty of gas and oil because every restart requires the same process.

Is this a joke? Sounds like a horrible starting procedure.
Posted By: fieldsy

Re: Utility Saw - 05/24/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I'd get a Makita 6421. It's the best cutting saw I've ever owned. German (Dolmar) engineering backed by Japanese manufacturing.

It is equipped with an easy start system, and starts right up on the coldest of days.

All it takes to restart, or start in warm weather is:
  • Pop off carb cover.
  • replace carb cover

Did I mention it is exactly the same saw as the 7900? It just equipped with a smaller piston. So, it is way heavier than it needs to be, although not burdened with excess power.

Thanks. I know the saw I will not buy next time..LOL
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Utility Saw - 05/24/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
The color of the saw is not as important as the service place near by. Unless one does the repairs and services at home. Then its just a question of getting the parts

There ya go.... Stihl dealer can be found just about anywhere. I bought a Stihl 250 for $300 that is a great saw but for big logs you need a bigger saw. I also have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher that is a mean machine but heavier than the stihl. If you're cutting logs and limbs you just about need two different saws.

Re: Utility Saw - 05/24/20 11:58 PM

you can find stihl dealers all over , but some are not much more than a hardware store display.

walk in knowing what model of saw you are looking to purchase

ask if they have I will use MS260 as my example this was a very popular saw

a MS260 , fuel filter , vacuum line , spark plug , air filter and ring sprocket .325

if they don't have any of those parts you need to keep shopping for a dealer

I also feel if they don't spin chains themselves or only sell the green safety chain you need a real dealer
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Utility Saw - 05/25/20 01:50 AM

Stihl is what we like. I bought my first one my senior year(11 years ago) and still runs great. We have saw from a 14“ to a 36” and all of them were worth every penny.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Utility Saw - 05/25/20 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Clark
Is this a joke? Sounds like a horrible starting procedure.
No joke. And that is after spending close to $200 for a new coil during the "warrantee" period. When I get around to it, it will be replaced by a ~60cc Stihl/Husky/Johnny Red. It was supposed to be my "Goldylocks" saw. I use a 50cc Stihl and Jonsered for small stuff and an 85 cc Husqvarna for the big stuff. The reviews were great, but, my saw sucks.

Re: Utility Saw - 05/31/20 06:38 PM

55/3=18.3inches

Just want3d to circle back and say thank you Pete. I asked around a bit and a fair number of guys gave the J-red praise even if they currently dint have one. Picked up a 2245 this weekend.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums