Home

Went from bad to great

Posted By: Huntall76

Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 03:33 AM

I was informed by my employers last Friday that they would be closing the doors permanently on June 26. They started that business in 1969 , I have been there since 1998. So after almost 23 years at one place and being 44 years old I was kind of nervous about what I was going to do. I've never filed unemployment and haven't been without a job longer than 2 weeks since I was 18.

But to my surprise as soon as some of our clients found out we were shutting down I had 3 companies wanting interviews this week.
I didn't even get to the second interview because the first one offered me $7.00 an hour more than I make now with less responsibilities, he told me he's been looking for someone like me for 5 years and he would have offered me a job years ago but didn't want to steal employees from a business associate which to me showed character and convinced me to take the job without setting up the other 2.

I can't believe the range of emotions over job security or lack of job security that I was having , I was 22 when I got that job and at that time I had no responsibility but myself so I never worried about long term employment, man I'm getting old. Hopefully this will be my last job.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 03:38 AM

Good luck. Sounds to me like your a top notch guy and they know it. I’m always looking for a guy like that but rarely find them.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 03:54 AM

Niiiiiiiiicccccee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 04:03 AM

Congrats
The cream always rises to the top
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 04:04 AM

Great news hard work always pays off down the road!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 04:59 AM

Congrats Huntall
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 05:09 AM

Good for you. You must be living right!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 05:14 AM

God is good every day.
Every day God is good. (congratulations man, I am happy for you!)
Posted By: mushfoot

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 08:04 AM

congrats
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 10:15 AM

Nice, congrats! What do you do?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 10:29 AM

That is a great turn of events. Personally, I'd have to see what the other two were offering just to satisfy my curiosity. Otherwise I'd always wonder if maybe they had even sweeter deals.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 10:40 AM

good for you glad thing's work out smile
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 10:55 AM

It's great to hear some good news! I think this happens a lot but you're not going to hear about it from the media because it doesn't fit the narrative: Hard working, dependable people like you landing on your feet.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 11:15 AM

Congrats and good luck.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 11:21 AM

Congratulations. Its quite a statement to stay on a job for that long these days. I'm always amazed when we go to hire someone at how many jobs folks have on their resumes. Its hard to find the ones that did long stints anywhere.
Sounds like the new job has company that seems to fit your similar standards and ethics, doing the right thing. Those are ones you look for no doubt.
FYI, and I know its an old cliché, but it does have some truth to it and please take it to heart. The closing of one door behind you opens up a whole world of opportunities ahead of you. You got a nice pay bump and didn't have to do the job search very long to get it. This may turn out to be the best thing that has happened to you career-wise in a long time. Fingers crossed for you!
Jim
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 11:46 AM

Happy for you!
Posted By: adam m

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 01:31 PM

Congratulations.
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 09:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your nice comments I really appreciate them.

This was the first time that I had to change jobs since I've had a family. Outside of worrying about my family I haven't really been scared so to speak since I was a kid.

As for checking out the other two job they were 30 and 40 minutes from my home and this one is only 12 minutes. My job I'm leaving is 1 mile from the house I bought last year so I didn't want to spend an hour to an hour and a half everyday in the car.

Another thing is outside of the jobs I had in school, baling hay and detasseling corn, this will only be my 6th job .
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/22/20 11:56 PM

When one door closes another one opens.
Congratulations on the raise.
Best of luck for the future!
Sounds like you earned it.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/23/20 01:28 AM

Way to go Man..
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/23/20 12:04 PM

I've been unemployed a couple of times in the last 30+ years. It's the worst feeling. Not being able to support your family really hurts. And, looking for a job when unemployed is the worst job I've ever had. Truly emotional stuff for someone who takes their responsibilities seriously. Fortunately, both times were short and I was back to work within a few weeks.

Congratulations to you. Sounds like being dependable for 23 years paid off.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/23/20 12:42 PM

Excellent...Good for You !!!
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: Went from bad to great - 05/23/20 02:37 PM

G4eat news for you.
Now bank some of that increase for the next 20 years.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums