Home

Who does this?

Posted By: MySide 🦝

Who does this? - 05/22/20 05:54 PM

Who here sells to a "country" fur buyer, and why?
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 05:58 PM

Cash (check) in hand right away, no commission, you can decide not to sell based on what they offer, get feedback on your put up, talk to ther trappers, can sell green furs and animals in the round depending on the buyer.

That's just off the top of my head.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by MySide 🦝

After the latest Nafta fiasco you have to ask LOL.
But cash in hand,
1 NO waiting for your fur to sell
2 NO wondering what it will sell for
3 NO wondering if it will EVEN sell
4 NO commission or storage charges
5 No waiting for shipping dates ( may have to wait on groeney truck)
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 06:05 PM

After looking at my FHA check I think the local scrap yard would have gave me more for my furs.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 06:32 PM

Always sell local feel like I get a fair shake and I can always say no but its hard to beat cash in hand out the door if hides were worth more I might consider other options but when coon ain't worth the price of a postage stamp ill take the local price every time
Posted By: jk

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 07:20 PM

I do I am not playing the waiting game. Getter'er done and be done......jk
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 07:20 PM

Everything said above is right , but the fur buyer might give you advice on how to handle your fur to get more money. I sell to Don Wolf that's on here and he has given advice to me and alot of people.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 07:25 PM

Are there “country buyers” in Canada? Serious question.

. If you listen to the Canadian experts on Tman, they make it sound like there aren’t any “country buyers” in Canada.
Posted By: mushfoot

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 07:27 PM

i sell to a country buyer it is just easier
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Are there “country buyers” in Canada? Serious question.

. If you listen to the Canadian experts on Tman, they make it sound like there aren’t any “country buyers” in Canada.

I know of two people that are fur buyers in PEI.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 08:54 PM

I have always sold to Dan Wiebke. Gave me some lessons on fur-dressing when my son and I were just getting started. Then one day he handed me a bunch of wire stretchers for free and told me he figured my son and I would need them. Most of all, he has always treated me with respect and that sticks with me.

With all that I have no need or desire to ship to auction.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Who does this? - 05/22/20 09:21 PM

Me.Helps local economy. Also cash in hand with no wait.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Who does this? - 05/23/20 08:03 AM

Sometimes your furs that don't sell right away at the auction houses may get held back for a year or longer before they sell.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Who does this? - 05/23/20 11:37 AM

Getting payed on the spot is a good reason. It's also a good idea to support a local buyer with some business. You don't have to sell it all local, but sometimes this can get you your best return. An added bonus is the hour or so b.s.ing with other trappers that are gathered there.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Who does this? - 05/23/20 11:44 AM

Years past I have sent to FHA. Selling to a Country Buyer has me always wondering who got screwed. Sending it in to the auctions always confirms we both did. lol
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Who does this? - 05/24/20 04:04 AM

I've been shipping for a long time, but I do miss the feedback on my furs. I learned a lot from the country buyers when I was younger.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Who does this? - 05/24/20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by MySide 🦝

I do. Once a man makes the right network of people who can use his goods it is not considered polite to forget them completely.
Don't get me wrong, I don't even unload until we have a hand shake. I prefer to back the truck up to their garage door and drop the tail gate. If they don't give me the news I wanted toe hear then my ranch hand grill guard is already pointed back out their driveway the same way I cam in and there are miles and miles of empty road.

My point is, drive a harder bargain- one that is fair to both parties, or hold back your best cat of a beaver you want to get willow hooped on the wall
© 2024 Trapperman Forums