Home

Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps?

Posted By: Hutchy

Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/23/20 02:44 PM

Is there a good reason to pay double for the Tomahawk traps for nuisance work?

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/23/20 02:57 PM

Or, what do you guys use? Coons mostly.

Keep in mind I am in Canada
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/23/20 02:57 PM

I see people using the Havahearts but I always thought of them more of a rabbit in the garden or raccoon in the trash kind of trap.

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/23/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
I see people using the Havahearts but I always thought of them more of a rabbit in the garden or raccoon in the trash kind of trap.

I do a few coon jobs a year and the Havaheart works fine, but wanted a couple more traps.

I don't use them every day, and they would only be used for the odd coon or feral cat
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/23/20 03:33 PM

I have some, like you it's not an every day use. I've had coon destroy them. RIP big holes in them, trash the doors, ect. I bought a little wolf cage trap from Cumberland's (Northwest trappers supply ) for$55 better quality trap
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/23/20 03:33 PM

Tomahawk brand are built to last...pro models even better. Had lots of issues but with the older Havaharts...double door especially.

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/23/20 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Tomahawk brand are built to last...pro models even better. Had lots of issues but with the older Havaharts...double door especially.

cool.

What are everyones thoughts on the poly traps?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/23/20 04:05 PM

We use primarily Safeguard traps for wildlife work. Rear access door for release, transfer and baiting. Have had many dozen of all sizes worked hard for many years. Tomahawks are good traps also but you will pay for them.
Posted By: scotiantrapper

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/23/20 04:29 PM

Love the poly traps. That’s all I use now

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by scotiantrapper
Love the poly traps. That’s all I use now

Any downsides to poly vs cage traps and vice versa?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 02:11 AM

Tomahawk Pro models are 10x the trap havajunks are

Havahearts are not Pro fur
Posted By: fix it mike

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 02:27 AM

Wonderful traps built to last a lifetime
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hutchy
Originally Posted by Law Dog

I do a few coon jobs a year and the Havaheart works fine, but wanted a couple more traps.

I don't use them every day, and they would only be used for the odd coon or feral cat

Heavy Duty Duke cages are perfect for the situation you describe! No reason to spend more for that application.

You can see where the boars were working this cage and its surroundings hard to get at this female in heat during breeding season, cage held up just fine.

[Linked Image]

The set before...

[Linked Image]

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 10:54 AM

Thanks ADC.

I wonder if I can get duke cage traps in Canada. Never even knew they made them.

So far no votes for havahearrt, dukes work well, tomahawk are great, and an honorable mention for poly.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 11:16 AM

Hutchy, if you're happy with the havahart's don't try the tomahawks, especially 2 doors. You'll want to take your havaharts to the dump.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 12:07 PM

Shipping is the killer on most cages I make my own out of 1X2X36 wire in 14X14X36 with 12.5 ga thick wire I have yet to have a wire broken by anything yet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: goatman

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 12:07 PM

I got the duke heavy after boar coon tearing up havaharts. Have a tomahawk also but she liked the duke first.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 12:30 PM

For the skunk jobs then the poly is hands down no voting allowed .
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 12:44 PM

You get what you pay for!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 12:53 PM

If you don't run at least one rerod stake down through the Duke ring door traps....Eventually a coon will tip it over abd the door isnt locked anymore. They work fine....better than any haveA junk but ring doors need to be made not able to tip.
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
For the skunk jobs then the poly is hands down no voting allowed .
Just watch which one you get . There's one on the market that alot of times either won't stay set or won't go off . P.M me and i'll let you know which one it is .
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 01:00 PM

Neighbor gave me 5 Havaheart traps that he was going to throw away. coon had trashed them. 4 were fixable.1 had the side torn . I had to make new trip arms for 2 more and the other had the pan badly twisted.
It was kind of a challenge to adjust all of them. I don't have any experience with the Tomahawk traps.
I've made a dozen of my own. Much better quality.
just
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 04:40 PM

Wickenkamp live traps get my vote. www.wickenkamplive trap.com. gets my vote pretty much indestructible, but will not stand up to a pick-up truck. lol
Dennis
Posted By: warrior

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 05:01 PM

Tomahawk is permanently off my list. They contribute to Alley Cat Allies and other groups the support dumping cats into the wild. It also doesn't help that most of those groups are also anti trapping/hunting.

I'd look at Safeguard if that style is what your wanting.
Posted By: corky

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/24/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Tomahawk is permanently off my list. They contribute to Alley Cat Allies and other groups the support dumping cats into the wild. It also doesn't help that most of those groups are also anti trapping/hunting.

I'd look at Safeguard if that style is what your wanting.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about that.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/25/20 02:30 AM

If you use the havaharts for coon, make sure you reinforce the cage wire with hog rings. The stock clips are just thin aluminum/tin like the ones you buy for rabbit cages. I/ve lost coon due to these substandar clips. And always one you HAD to catch.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Tomahawk vs Havaheart live traps? - 05/25/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by iaduckhntr
Wickenkamp live traps get my vote. www.wickenkamplive trap.com. gets my vote pretty much indestructible, but will not stand up to a pick-up truck. lol
Dennis

Not sure if you can get the Wickenkamps in Canada, but they are certainly coon proof and reasonably priced.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums