Canoe, is this a good deal?

Posted By: NE Wildlife

Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 01:16 AM

HERTER'S Canoe

Well the craigslist link didn’t work.
18ft canoe for 400 bucks
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 01:29 AM

I don't know anything about the Herters canoes, but here are the photos in case it helps others determine whether it's a good deal or not.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 01:49 AM

Must be a lot of us in the market for a canoe...I just bought one yesterday and posted on here...lol
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 02:13 AM

Here goes, $100 is a good buy for most any canoe that floats with minimal leaks. Above that and it’s how bad do you want it. I’ve paid $500 for a used canoe and $100. $100 dollars for a nice canoe is a GOOD buy. $400 better be exactly what I want and next to new.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 02:21 AM

I wonder what that canoe listed for when Herters was still around. I think I would dicker a bit more on it.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 03:20 AM

Not a terrible price I don't think but not a steal. I'd be tempted to buy it just because of the trapping connection, LOL, go set some Herter's traps for muskrats out of my Herter's canoe, lol.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 03:22 AM

Terrible deal! Go ahead and pay it and have it shipped to me. I’ll get rid of it for you.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 10:50 AM

Price is what you pay, value is what you get. What is it worth to you sir?
Jim
Posted By: Clark

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 11:40 AM

Having been in the market several years ago and in an area with an abundance of canoes I would say that around here $300 for a decent aluminum canoe is the market price. That could be a tub of a canoe that is 3’ across the middle and you regret paddling it or it could be the sleekest aluminum designed canoe ever built.

The above pictured canoe appears to be a much sleeker design for an aluminum canoe. If you want it for trapping or waterfowl hunting the paint job is a decent bonus offsets the asking price. I would get it in water and see how stable or fast it is. Remember, it’s a balance between speed and stability; you never get both in the same boat. If you enjoy the paddling characteristics it could well be a good price.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 12:06 PM

Contact them offer them 250 and go from there you never know what kind of deal you will get.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 12:46 PM

Being a Herters, I think that is a fiberglass boat. Could very well be heavy. I am going with Bandy...offer $250 and see what happens.

Moosetrot
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 01:00 PM

My buddy had a Herters Canoe back in the 70's. That one was some sort of molded plastic. His was salvaged from a fire where the front end melted so he squared it off and paddled it backwards. Looked a little odd but worked on our drainage ditch muskrat line.
The one pictured does appear to be aluminum.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Price is what you pay, value is what you get. What is it worth to you sir?
Jim

This^^^
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Canoe, is this a good deal? - 05/26/20 02:15 PM

price , is ok nothing special.

looking at that picture , it is solid under the seats .

How does one Kneel with a solid under seat?

Kneeling is a must for me , it may not be for every one.

but for me kneeling is how you feel the canoe and move with it .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums