Home

It's over for Evinrude

Posted By: Hutchy

It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 12:23 AM

BRP just announced they are ceasing manufacture of Evinrude etec engines.

Looks like Merc is all that's left in the two stroke market

http://ir.brp.com/news-releases/new...tegy-focusing-boats-and-new-technologies

Posted By: midlander

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 12:40 AM

Thrats too bad, i had been thinking hard about a 30 for my Lund. They were just having too many problems with them etecs and lost their share of the market.

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by midlander
Thrats too bad, i had been thinking hard about a 30 for my Lund. They were just having too many problems with them etecs and lost their share of the market.

After all that advertising eh.

I bet you can find some for a song from a dealer now. Keep an eye out for a parts motor.
Posted By: spjones

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:00 AM

Tohatsu still makes 2 stroke engines.

We run the 35jet. Very good.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:02 AM

Yamaha still in business....?

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Yamaha still in business....?

Lol. At just over 40% of the entire outboard market share in North America, I would hope so. Thats out of Suzuki, Mercury, Evinrude, Tohatsu, Honda and Seven Marine.

They came out with a new 425 hp four stroke engine that has been selling really well. Our marina sells a ton of Yamahas in the 150-300 hp range.

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by spjones
Tohatsu still makes 2 stroke engines.

We run the 35jet. Very good.

Forgot about them. No real dealers here, but the odd sailor has a long shaft four stroke.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:15 AM

I got a brand new Yamaha 6hp on my 12 foot boat and man I’m the king of the water at full throttle! Lol

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
I got a brand new Yamaha 6hp on my 12 foot boat and man I’m the king of the water at full throttle! Lol

I have a 2014 50 on mine. Works awesome. 6 hp should plane a 12 footer with just you in it. Maybe not filled with beaver tho
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:25 AM

Beats the heck outta rowin!
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:49 AM

The name lost a lot of respect with the omc ficht issues. The new Merc v8's and Yamaha sho were the dagger in the heart.

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

Beats the heck outta rowin!

Big time!

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hutchy

I have a 2014 50 on mine. Works awesome. 6 hp should plane a 12 footer with just you in it. Maybe not filled with beaver tho

Lol haven’t used it for beaver trapping yet. But I’ve taken one of the kids with me each time I’ve gone fishing and I feel like we’re flying lol.
Not sure what plane means exactly.

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 02:32 AM

[Linked Image]

Got a Yamaha 15 hp...4 stroke on the back of my Freighter ....love it..sips fuel and quiet (2012)
Posted By: waggler

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 02:34 AM

Good riddance, like we couldn't see that one coming.

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
Good riddance, like we couldn't see that one coming.

What bothered me about those engines was their unfair advertising. Their side by side comparison tests were laughable. Their engines were consistently way over the hp rating. For example, they would always show the same boat with Yamaha 150, and Evinrude 150 in a tug of war, and the Evinrude would spank the Yamaha. They never mentioned that their 150s were making over 185 hp.

Also always bragging that their two strokers were more fuel efficient, lasted longer, etc that the four strokes. Which in practice wasn't the case. The bragging just got annoying every time someone would buy one and try bragging about what everyone knew was not quite true.

That said, they were extremely advanced two stroke Marine engines that were heads and tails better than a lot of older two strokes. I even had an older ficht on a boat a few years ago I never had problems with. I now have a Yamaha 250 on my Grady white, and really like it also.

Their engines did have a cool factor. They would custom paint them to march any boat, and the design sure had a Darth Vader feel to them.
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 12:27 PM

I like 2 stroke outboards. Don't think I will ever own a 4 stroke
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:00 PM

If you are buying a 150 or up good luck finding a 2 stroke. Obummer regs made the industry have to move to 4 strokes because of omissions. Merc stopped in 2018 4 stroke only in 150 and up
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:09 PM

Hunted the UP many years ago with guys that worked for Evinrude they were struggling back then from the way they talked.

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Arkansas87

You must be deaf....and can’t smell oil fumes...

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:21 PM

I am a converted merc two stroke guy. Love my Yamahas now. That said, I do still really like my 2007 merc 15 horse for its portability. Have a Honda 5 hp four stroke also that is only fractionally lighter.

And the smell of two stroke smoke is emotion inducing for me after all the bass boats and fast sleds in years past. lol
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:46 PM

[Linked Image]

Got a Yamaha 15 hp...4 stroke on the back of my Freighter ....love it..sips fuel and quiet (2012)

Thats quite a rig there!!!! Wow!
Posted By: pcr2

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:48 PM

my motors are in ft pounds of thrust. crazy
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

Petal boat?
Posted By: k snow

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

Alcohol fueled?
Posted By: rvsask

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 02:12 PM

grin I laughed out loud here, because it's true.

My old boat had an etec, my new one has a Merc 115, 4 stroke. I love my new four stroke.

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 02:58 PM

The new 2 strokes are not very loud and have no more bad emissions than the for strokes. U must be rich and dnot mind high cost maintenance. 2 strokes are around 200 pounds lighter weight average than a 4 stroke and make more power than a 4 stroke out of the hole. 2 strokes are also around 4 thousand dollars on average cheaper to buy new than a 4 stroke. 4 strokes also have alot more moving parts than a 2 stroke and are more expensive to maintain. Wander why u never se 4 stroke chainsaws? 2 strokes have a lot better power to weight ratio than a 4 stroke. That means alot on something like a boat.especially smaller boats. Just the extra weight of a 4 stroke is like having an extra person on the boat all the time. Some boats that might not make much difference but to some boats it makes a huge diference. All the people I know that tell me all the good things about thier new boat with a 4 stroke on it sound just like the guy that sold them the boat. A sales pitch. Sure the salesmen talk them up and push the 4 strokes. They can sell you a boat for alot more money!

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 03:01 PM

How loud my outboard is doesn't bother me much anyways.I have never been able to catch fish while my boat was on plane anyways!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 03:08 PM

[Linked Image]

Got a short shaft one and I like it a lot. Pushes my 14' Jon just as good as my Honda 20 did.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 03:30 PM

The new 2 strokes are not very loud and have no more bad emissions than the for strokes. U must be rich and dnot mind high cost maintenance. 2 strokes are around 200 pounds lighter weight average than a 4 stroke and make more power than a 4 stroke out of the hole. 2 strokes are also around 4 thousand dollars on average cheaper to buy new than a 4 stroke. 4 strokes also have alot more moving parts than a 2 stroke and are more expensive to maintain. Wander why u never se 4 stroke chainsaws? 2 strokes have a lot better power to weight ratio than a 4 stroke. That means alot on something like a boat.especially smaller boats. Just the extra weight of a 4 stroke is like having an extra person on the boat all the time. Some boats that might not make much difference but to some boats it makes a huge diference. All the people I know that tell me all the good things about thier new boat with a 4 stroke on it sound just like the guy that sold them the boat. A sales pitch. Sure the salesmen talk them up and push the 4 strokes. They can sell you a boat for alot more money!

Different strokes for different folks it is. grin My 115 four stroke is still relatively new, only four years old, it has not cost one cent to maintain other than oil changes which a guy can do himself, cheaply. Yes, they are more money and heavier, but outside of little boats, weight doesn't matter a whole bunch. I can get my 1775 Lund impact "out of the hole" with 4 people on board, pretty much instantly, can't see how any quicker could benefit me there. Every two stroke owner that rides in my boat makes mention of how nice and quiet and clean it runs. I thought my old etec was great, until I got this.

That's no sales pitch, because I'm not selling, just honesty.
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 04:18 PM

I have had two 19 FT + fishing boats with a 150 hp and 175 hp 2 stroke and the new 20 footer with the Suzuki 4 stroke. Although the new motor (3 1/2 yrs old) is bigger at 200 hp there is nothing quicker out of the hole. Up and on plane right now and at top speed of 49mph in about 10 seconds. That is loaded with two in the boat or loaded with 4. I myself was a never die 2 stroke guy until a friend talked me into getting a 4 stroke on the new boat with the 6 yrs warranty. Never had an issue and never any maintenance costs except the 4 oil changes in the big motor and 8 or 9 in the kicker. Would never think about going back on a big fishing boat. Now a small duck boat I still use the 2 stroke 25 hp Johnson. Time and place for everything

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 05:26 PM

Besides Haveing to buy mixing oil for a 2 stroke (and you haveto buy oil to change in the 4 strokes too) tell me an advantage of a new 4 stroke over a new 2 stroke?
Posted By: Kre

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 06:32 PM

I don't care what kind of outboard your run.

But, I'm absolutely sick of listening to 2 strokes...including e-tec. They're loud and obnoxious.

Good riddance to the dinosaur!

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 07:26 PM

If that's your way of thinking than why dnt you get rid of your 4 stroke and get one of those new all electric outboards. You won't haveto hear anything then. Good riddance to the dinosaur! 4 stroke combustion engines have been around just as long as 2 strokes
Posted By: Kre

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 07:36 PM

If that's your way of thinking than why dnt you get rid of your 4 stroke and get one of those new all electric outboards. You won't haveto hear anything then. Good riddance to the dinosaur! 4 stroke combustion engines have been around just as long as 2 strokes

I can tell you're sensitive about this. Bless your heart.

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 09:02 PM

Naw man its all good fun. As long as my boat goes up river that's all that matters to me. 4 stroke 2 stroke or electric lol
Posted By: hippie

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 09:07 PM

Lake guys seem to like the 4 strokes, but us river guys don't give them a second look because of their weight.

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 09:16 PM

Yea take a 50 hp 4 stroke and put a jet foot on = gutless
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 09:34 PM

I personally like the smell of a two stroke motor, especially at the boat launch at dawn.
Posted By: Hatchetman

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 10:16 PM

Are they scrapping their Etecs in snowmobiles too?
From what I've heard they can be temperamental as well.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: It's over for Evinrude - 05/28/20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by rvsask

Different strokes for different folks it is. grin My 115 four stroke is still relatively new, only four years old, it has not cost one cent to maintain other than oil changes which a guy can do himself, cheaply. Yes, they are more money and heavier, but outside of little boats, weight doesn't matter a whole bunch. I can get my 1775 Lund impact "out of the hole" with 4 people on board, pretty much instantly, can't see how any quicker could benefit me there. Every two stroke owner that rides in my boat makes mention of how nice and quiet and clean it runs. I thought my old etec was great, until I got this.

That's no sales pitch, because I'm not selling, just honesty.

Ya I run a 200 merc 4 stroke tiller-uber quiet and smooth-love it! Expensive when you blow up the supercharger-but way cheaper than brand new one LOL.I too love the smell of a 2 stroke-especially early in the morning-just brings back memories.But the 4 strokes to me are the bomb-period.Love how quiet they run-same as you!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums