Home

Buying American

Posted By: yotetrapper30

Buying American - 05/31/20 04:45 PM

So since this disease deal, I've been really reading labels to avoid buying from China. Not so much because the virus started there, but because it really ticked me off when they got their panties in the wad over Trump calling it the Chinese Disease... which it WAS, since it did start there... just like West Nile Virus or the German Measles.

People always say it's impossible to buy everything made in America, and I tend to agree at this point, but it's easy to NOT buy from China. Plenty of electronics and stuff are made in Japan, Mexico, and other places. Clothing is made in many, many countries.

While there is American grown rice sold in the supermarkets, I came across this small farm growing and selling rice right here in Mississippi. If anyone likes supporting small American businesses, check them out. While the per pound rate is a bit high, it's quite reasonable if you buy in bulk. http://deltabluesrice1.myshopify.co...source=leaddyno&utm_medium=affiliate

Do any of you have favorite, American owned businesses that you support? If you do, please post the link to their sites so that more of us can help support them. OH, not trapping businesses though, don't want you all to break any forum rules.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 04:50 PM

Good post...
Posted By: hippie

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 05:50 PM

Good post. Some of those other countries are not as anti-american.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 06:00 PM

I spend more time looking for USA made products then shopping, you didint mention posting about businesses not to support like HARBOR FREIGHT , so i wont go there, just want to say beware of ebay sellers trying to sale products as American made. Done happened to me on a can crusher, paid a extra eight dollars for one saying its was USA made , got it ,and it was boxed Made in China for harbor freight . very P Oed.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 06:12 PM

Harbor freight is bad, but Wal-Mart and Amazon are and will continue to put small businesses under. Anyone boycott these two?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 06:13 PM

Harbor freight donated a lot of PPE masks and gloves when they were needed so be careful when you flock shoot every business.

A lot of Amazon items come from smaller businesses.

Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 06:39 PM

As a nam vet, it really disgusts me to go into a macys or place like that and their dress shirts are all made there. That place (nam) will always be a cesspool in my mind, and I look elswhere!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Harbor freight donated a lot of PPE masks and gloves when they were needed so be careful when you flock shoot every business.

Jerry's point is valid...when an item has several offers from various places, it is beneficial to have a look at those sources to choose which one is wanted. Some business centered in the US, however, upon executing an order, in turn, places their order from the country of origin . They don't have stock at the ready from their own supply...so order straight from their advertiser , the country that originally made it. This surprise can often be caught when you are finishing up your order , and the cost of shipping suddenly appears in your total as a lot more than you originally saw in the ad. Upon further inspection, the cause for the slipped in cost is found , shipped from a country direct like China, or otherwise.

Then, you have the option of canceling and continuing your search .
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 07:20 PM

If the first 3 digits of the barcode are 690 691 or 692, the product is MADE IN CHINA.
471 is Made in Taiwan.
This is our right to know, but the government and related departments never educate the public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves.

Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA", so they don't show from which country it is made.

However, you may now refer to the barcode - remember if the first 3 digits are:

690-692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... USA & CANADA
30 - 37 FRANCE
40 - 44 GERMANY
471 ... Taiwan
49 ... JAPAN
50 ... UK

Moosetrot
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 07:33 PM

Thanks Moose
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
Thanks Moose

Yeah, he's alright for a thong wearing cheese head lol. Last month I tried to buy a flour sifter made in America. There was only one and it was 75 bucks. So I bought the same brand as the 75 dollar one for 9 bucks used on ebay. If ya can't buy American new, then buy used if ya can. It's still a win win.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 08:11 PM

I. Buy American when I can other countries next and Chinese last, it can be hard on the pocket buying American because a lot of it is way overpriced for what your buying due simply to cost of production but I do do buy when I can even when it’s higher
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by jeff karsten
Thanks Moose

Yeah, he's alright for a thong wearing cheese head lol. Last month I tried to buy a flour sifter made in America. There was only one and it was 75 bucks. So I bought the same brand as the 75 dollar one for 9 bucks used on ebay. If ya can't buy American new, then buy used if ya can. It's still a win win.

Good point, and if you'd have typed in Vintage flour sifter it probably WOULD have been made in America.
Posted By: run

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 09:36 PM

Thanks moosie for the info on the code.
Posted By: James

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 09:54 PM

St Croix, Loomis, and Sage fishing rods are all made in the USA. There are a few other rods being made in the US by boutique companies (like Dobyns), but almost all other brand rods are made in China.

China-made rods include Fenwick (sad to say), Shimano, Daiwa, and numerous others. Same for the reels.

As usual, the US-made rods cost more.

Jim
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 10:21 PM

Couple North Wisconsin businesses that might be useful to some. Everett Fisheries of Port Wing WI and Bodin Fisheries of Bayfield WI both sell Lake Superior fish(if they have walleye and perch they are NOT from Lake Superior). I think that Everett Fisheries smoked fish are the best I have eaten. Fall/winter likely easier shipping than summer BUT if you are driving east of Duluth, swing through Port Wing, hit the little grocery there and fill up on real USA fish.

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

I know Harbor Freight has decent quality if you spend time doing your research. Their ICON line was almost sold out last time I was in there. I wish they would do a better job of keeping stuff in stock.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by nightlife
I. Buy American when I can other countries next and Chinese last, it can be hard on the pocket buying American because a lot of it is way overpriced for what your buying due simply to cost of production but I do do buy when I can even when it’s higher

It isn't over-priced if you factor in the better quality and the more life and years you will get out of it. Ive seen 150.00 Chinese boots wear out in less than 6 months and 300.00 USA made boots last 5-10 years or more.....

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 11:19 PM

Chinese hiking shoes last about 4 months for me.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Buying American - 05/31/20 11:26 PM

It's kinda hard anymore to find USA made products, we need to bring it all back. Like it used to be, TV's, radios, remember when we could fix a drill?
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Buying American - 06/01/20 02:17 PM

I guess its better late than never.

I always look for and am willing to pay more for American made stuff.

Good to see some of you are starting to open your eyes.

Yes, it may cost you more but in the end it'll improve life in this country.
Having more stuff does not mean you have a better life.

Re: Buying American - 06/01/20 03:37 PM

Forest Hill Manufacturing makes warren hoes and nice scoop shovels in Lancaster county, PA.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Buying American - 06/01/20 08:41 PM

Buying American made is hard sometimes! But well worth the effort. If I can't find made in USA, I'll look for it made by a allied democracy, (e.g. Canada, UK, Japan, etc.). I spent the last half of my military career trying to figure out how to kill members of a certain communist competitor's military on a large scale. I'll be darned if I'll help them fund that military. Furthermore, I can't think of any item where "made in China" is a badge of quality. It kind of ruins my day when I'm compelled to purchase something made in China. Thank you Moosetrot for the key to bar codes. Very enlightening.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Buying American - 06/01/20 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
If the first 3 digits of the barcode are 690 691 or 692, the product is MADE IN CHINA.
471 is Made in Taiwan.
This is our right to know, but the government and related departments never educate the public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves.

Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA", so they don't show from which country it is made.

However, you may now refer to the barcode - remember if the first 3 digits are:

690-692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... USA & CANADA
30 - 37 FRANCE
40 - 44 GERMANY
471 ... Taiwan
49 ... JAPAN
50 ... UK

Moosetrot

With all due respect to the poster, I will throw the BS flag on the barcode information.

A fact check shows this report from this year, " A product's barcode numbers don't reveal its country of origin. Prefixes for product numbers are assigned to individual manufacturers based on a set of country codes, but the products could be made anywhere. Apr 23, 2020 "

Fact: I am looking at a phone I recently bought that says " Made In China " and the first three numbers of the barcode are 169.

Country of origin labeling is very confusing at the least as so many exceptions and deals exist that it is virtually impossible to confirm where a product is made.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Buying American - 06/01/20 10:23 PM

Don't shoot the messenger, Cedar Hacker...this is something that was forwarded to me and figured might be of use to folks on here. Did not take the time to check on the veracity of the information, nor will I take the time.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: Buying American - 06/02/20 03:46 AM

Smaller American companies should include a small American flag along with "made in the USA" in their ad. After this fiasco I hope politicians specify ALL ppe to made in the USA.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Buying American - 06/02/20 05:22 PM

Since Cosco has moved to Fairbanks I have purchased items from there and returned because their stuff is junk China stuff. My new name for Cosco is Chinaco. Anyone else have the same experience.

Generator.
Garden hoses.

At least they take it back!
SNAP

Re: Buying American - 06/02/20 08:28 PM

I agree with you, OH Snap. I don't have a Costco membership so I don't have the first hand experience that you do. You can be glad they gave you your money back.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Buying American - 06/02/20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Since Cosco has moved to Fairbanks I have purchased items from there and returned because their stuff is junk China stuff. My new name for Cosco is Chinaco. Anyone else have the same experience.

Generator.
Garden hoses.

At least they take it back!
SNAP

I only buy groceries and booze at Costco.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Buying American - 06/02/20 09:24 PM

We too shop at Costco, but just food. The only food from China I've ever found in Alaska are apple juice, apple sauce, canned mandarin oranges, and frozen chum salmon fillets. There may be more.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Buying American - 06/02/20 10:05 PM

S & W, Kimber, Marlin, Mossburg, Henry, some, flagship Remingtons, Ruger, Nosler, Leupold. To name a few.
But y’all keep on keepin on with your SKSs an Mo Nagants an your Wolf & PPU ammo. whistle
© 2024 Trapperman Forums