Home

A question for the Jarheads.

Posted By: Nelly

A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 02:26 AM

Is there some kind of cult associated with the commie Carlson?
It seems that a handful of the most committed of commies that I know were once Marines.
The vast majority of jarheads that I know are not.
Posted By: white17

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 03:03 AM

Are you asking about Tucker or Evans Carslon ?

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 03:07 AM

Evans Carlson.
As in "he may be red, but he isn't yellow " Carlson.

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 03:38 AM

I think he pretty much removed all suspicion from himself in the second part of his career. No question he was open minded enough to pick things from the ChiCom army that "worked" better than the status quo at the time

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 03:58 AM

I watched the casualty figures in the VFW magazine all through Iraq and Afghanistan. Army casualty figures were mostly E6 and above, jarheads tended toward lowered enlisted.
Didn't seem right to me.

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 04:11 AM

Most marines aren't smart enough to make rank very quickly. laugh
Posted By: warrior

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 04:15 AM

That and the army likes time served promotions and participation trophies.

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 04:24 AM

Seemed to me that Army says follow me and others said go do that.

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 04:32 AM

I suspect it all depends on the size of the unit,the TO&E of that unit,and how many slots open up and how quickly that happens. Obviously there area lot more slots in the army just because it is larger than the Corps.

But Time in service and time in grade recently changed in the corps
Posted By: The Beav

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 04:50 AM

I made E4 In 18 months. I guess If I would have been in the army I would have made It In 6 months. Or maybe I should say I would have been given it.

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 05:04 AM

I made E4 in 15 months, but there wasn't anyone shooting at me in Germany in'84 .
Doesn't explain the disparity in philosophy between our mutual friend who was a Marine engineer Lieutenant in Vietnam and another that I know who was a Marine linguist at the same time.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/02/20 01:32 PM

I was replying to White's comment about us not being smart enough.
Posted By: 50fps

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/03/20 05:02 PM

We had to go before a board of review for our E-4 if under 24 months time in service do to limited slots available back in the early 80's.

My son who spent a few tours in the sand box said field promotions were quite common, but those that got it for just being there, didn't get the same respect. He turned down his E-5 so he wouldn't get stuck in the shop seeing as he preferred flight time.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/03/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I made E4 In 18 months. I guess If I would have been in the army I would have made It In 6 months. Or maybe I should say I would have been given it.

1968 US Army E4 in four months. Anyone with a grade of 90% or better coming out of the survey school was made E4. Had several friends (survey) that made E6 in less than 18 months. Took me 22 months to make E5.
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/03/20 05:42 PM

I made E4 in 18 months which was quicker then average at the time and that included a combat tour
Posted By: 080808

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/03/20 06:57 PM

Enlisted in the USMC as an E-1, 15 months later E-5. IMO making rank quickly is best in the Marine Corps during conflict. Worse during peacetime.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/03/20 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nelly
Is there some kind of cult associated with the commie Carlson?
It seems that a handful of the most committed of commies that I know were once Marines.
The vast majority of jarheads that I know are not.

Well...neither are exactly known as being the brightest.... grin
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/03/20 08:36 PM

I would just like to tell all of you guys that have been it are still in the armed forces thank you for your service. You guys have sacrificed so much for us and you don't get near the respect for it that you deserve
Posted By: Jarhead620

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/03/20 10:56 PM

It took me 30 months to make E-4. Making rank was tough in the early fifties.

Jarhead
Posted By: Cragar

Re: A question for the Jarheads. - 06/03/20 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artrapper16
I would just like to tell all of you guys that have been it are still in the armed forces thank you for your service. You guys have sacrificed so much for us and you don't get near the respect for it that you deserve

Winner for post of the thread.

I wholeheartedly agree with respect to all who have served.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums