Home

Blood thirsty mink?

Posted By: Prn

Blood thirsty mink? - 06/02/20 06:45 PM

So I was out on the boat this morning doing a little bass fishing. On shore there was a bunch of black birds squawking like crazy. I didn't pay much attention to it until I seen the grass moving right below them. Out of the thick grass comes a mink with a half grown cotton tail rabbit in its mouth. The mink ran down the bank with the rabbit and that was the last I seen of him. I always figured they only ate aquatic animals. It was cool to see.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Blood thirsty mink? - 06/02/20 06:50 PM

Nope- I watched a mink chase 3 young rabbits in my backyard that borders a creek. The rabbits gave it the slip!
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Blood thirsty mink? - 06/02/20 07:02 PM

Rabbits, birds, muskrats, squirrels, fish, birds, mice, whatever they can tackle and kill.
There was a pretty cool video posted on here a few days ago of a mink chasing a squirrel for quite awhile in a park along some water. He was all over it, squirrwl didnt have a chance.
I watched one once kill a cottontail and drag it down to the creek bank, little female could hardly pull that bunny through the grass but she did it.
Jim
Posted By: Boco

Re: Blood thirsty mink? - 06/02/20 09:27 PM

Wild mink are lightening fast.
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Blood thirsty mink? - 06/02/20 09:47 PM

Had one run up on my once as i was landing a 3lb ish smallmouth. He looked at the fish flopping, then up at me, then turned around and hopped back the way he came. I was holding the net and pole in one hand and trying to get my phone out for a pic. Couldn't get it ready in time. That bass would've given him a ride, but the flopping brought out his killer instinct.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Blood thirsty mink? - 06/02/20 09:50 PM

Mink are killing machines. I saw one kill an adult swan in less than 30 seconds, ripped its throat out. Adult males will often spend most of their time in the uplands, living on red meat and birds. They only go along the waterways to find females during mating time. Many are the fox trappers that have caught a mink far away from a waterbody.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Blood thirsty mink? - 06/02/20 11:46 PM

i catch them in dead of winter miles from water in the bush in elevated marten boxes.
Always invariable large males.
male mink wander a lot more than people think certain times of the year.
See otter tracks in winter far from watersheds but if you follow they are travelling overland between watersheds,usually at a height of land from headwater to headwater.
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: Blood thirsty mink? - 06/03/20 12:10 AM

In the past I have witnessed mink come into the yard and take a chicken out.
Posted By: timbremn

Re: Blood thirsty mink? - 06/03/20 12:29 AM

I've seen mink go up a tree faster than a squirrel
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Blood thirsty mink? - 06/03/20 12:40 AM

A mink killed four of my chickens in one night... a half grown bunny rabbit is nothing for them.

And I think "lightening fast" is an under statement.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums