Home

The Mini Shotgun Shell

Posted By: Actor

The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/03/20 11:51 PM

Has anyone shot any of these? This may be a dumb question, but can they be used in any shotgun?

Garry-

[Linked Image]
Posted By: warrior

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 12:05 AM

Definitely any break action single or double. Pumps may or may not feed from the magazine without some smithing. Won't cycle most self loaders with the same feeding issues.
I do know the needed mods to pumps must not be that difficult as there are plenty of videos on youtube.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 12:11 AM

I think Mossberg makes a piece for one or two of their models that allolws them to feed properly. No smithing required, as it can be slid in place by the user.

Charlie
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 12:11 AM

Any shot gun? Probably not... They look like 12 ga. shells. If so, the shorts should shoot thru any 12 ga. also looks like a 2 3/4" and a 3" in the background. the 3" should not be shot thru a 2 3/4" chamber. Never seen short slug rounds like that.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 12:12 AM

I have found that they don't push the ejector back far enough to be able to just rack a new shell in. You have to press the ejector button to eject the spent shell and load a new one (in my Mossberg 500).
I do like them and keep them in my home defense shotgun. #4 buckshot.
Posted By: charles

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 12:21 AM

Saw some hulls in the trash at a five stand.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 12:30 AM

Old British shot guns were 2 1/2 inch chambers
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 12:51 AM

Yip.

As a trap shooter, I (should say wife and I) shoot tons of 2 3/4 inch trap loads. After several loadings they get weak at the crimp. I then cut off 1/4 inch and load them with a roll crimp. Same deal, they get weak at the crimp, except quicker with a roll crimp. I cut them off, another 1/4 inch and load them again. Just for clarification, the length is that of the hull, before crimping. So, the crimped length is about 1/4" less that the stated length.

Rinse and repeat, every 1/4" When they get below 2" the feed into a pump or auto loader starts to get a little "iffy", but they still work great in my break actions.

Why do you ask? If you are just interested in cycling in your particular gun, you'll just have to give them a try. If you need some tips to load them, I'd be happy to give you some guidelines. Keep in mind I don't use any published loads, but, do have a bunch of experience to get you going on what I consider safe "experimental" loads. Most of which are low velocity, shot, buck, and slug rounds intended for predators of the two or four legged variety.

The main benefit of these is that for my home defense weapons, that are intended for close range; I can get an extra couple in my extended tube magazines.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Actor
Has anyone shot any of these? This may be a dumb question, but can they be used in any shotgun?

Garry-

[Linked Image]

I'd buy up a few boxes and run them through your particular gun. If there are any feeding issues whatsoever, I would not use them as self-defense loads. A couple extra shells in the magazine won't help a thing if you can't get them into the chamber.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 01:24 AM

You CAN get them into the chamber, you may have to change how you rack the next one in though.
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

All guns are different though......
Posted By: tlguy

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 02:16 AM

I have a Rem 870 Wingmaster, wouldn't feed.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 02:53 AM

not tried them looked into them , the Winchester 1200 are supposed to feed them the best from my looking.

the Mexicans wanted more rounds in their guns but they had little money for it and with the way Mexican guns end up in cartel hands ....

well the answer waas the mexican police had gotten a lot fo Winchester 12 and 1200 in the 70s and 80s so augila developed the mini shell and then they had more rounds no new gun.

the Mossberg 500 590 with the filler in the shell lifter is supposed to work ok

you basically need to buy a box and see how your gun feeds them

if they don't function 100% in your gun over several boxes , just making the 2 3/4 rounds your gun holds count and training to top off with your support hand without looking is better than jamming up your gun counting on shorties.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: The Mini Shotgun Shell - 06/04/20 03:36 AM

They work great out of a double for getting wasps nests out of trees
© 2024 Trapperman Forums