Home

COYOTE DAYS

Posted By: John Graham

COYOTE DAYS - 06/04/20 09:22 PM

Hi, We've had calls asking if Coyote Days was still on in August. A few called to inform US that it HAD been cancelled...

Well, as of today, YES, Coyote Days 2020 is still going to be held August 21-22 in Lusk WY!

The only difference so far is that we'll have to have people serving at the Saturday Nite Banquet, which will basically mean that a person will have to point at the steak they want, and let someone else stab it with a fork and put it on their plate.

Other than that, everything is a go, and it's going to be a great event.

We'll have more bleacher seating, and spread out a bit more, but we will NOT have it set up so the demo presenters back is to half the crowd.

The Demos are going to be top notch again.

The 'Who's Who' of the Coyote World will be there.

Thanks, John
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/04/20 09:45 PM

THANKS for the update!!
Posted By: dmac

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/05/20 12:45 AM

Same as Monster Toms! Thanks for the update and looking forward to it!
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/05/20 12:48 AM

Good deal, have my motel room booked
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/05/20 01:04 AM

Great. Motel room booked also.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/05/20 11:09 AM

Three old boys from Kentucky have our room booked and looking forward to it a lot.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/05/20 11:24 PM

Summer is going to go fast, and August will be here soon! This is one event everyone should attend before the good old boys are all gone.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/06/20 03:00 AM

Well, Yes, that is one of the main reasons I put this event together.

I've met and knew a lot of great trappers over the years. Many has passed away, and I'd give about anything to spend another day with them.

So, I've included several 'Old Hands' in the demos, and a bunch more will be there, visiting, too.

And, I've included some of my friends that are currently top producers and industry leaders.

I guess you could call it a 'blend' of knowledge.

I've burned up most of my life chasing coyotes. ( by choice)

This is my way of giving back.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/06/20 03:03 AM

John,

Wishing you a great show sir!
Interesting year with shows cancelled here and there.

Mark
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/06/20 03:08 AM

Looking forward to it John, I'm going to need a break from this crazy summer.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/06/20 03:18 AM

Thinking of coming to visit this year, John. Would you mind if an old fart shows up? lol
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/06/20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Thinking of coming to visit this year, John. Would you mind if an old fart shows up? lol

Lee, you show up they will have you doing a demo

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/06/20 03:59 PM

Please Lee. Come and let us all meet you.
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/06/20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
John,

Wishing you a great show sir!
Interesting year with shows cancelled here and there.

Mark

If some politition thinks it needs canceled because of social distancing, change the name to "Coyote protest" and continue on.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/06/20 10:29 PM

Lee, if you can make it, that would be great, It's been a long time!

Bring a Stingray with you, and I'll try one, I've heard good things about them.

"Coyote Protest" Ha! I'll remember that!
Posted By: bob maier

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/07/20 07:31 PM

Just made motel reservations, looking forward to coming.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/09/20 01:01 PM

Some phone numbers for motels that should have rooms left

Townhouse Motel (307) 334-2376

Pioneer Best Western (307) 334-2640

Both literally blocks from the Fairgrounds
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/09/20 01:07 PM

I’m still hoping the stars will align and I can make it. We usually make a vacation out of one of the national conventions, not sure I can talk management into going to two different out of state trapping vacations this year!
Posted By: LDW

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/09/20 01:27 PM

That old fart from Kansas is a pretty good fellow. He builds some high quality products also. I have several and wouldn't trade them for anything.
Posted By: RenoMick

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/10/20 09:00 PM

Snagged my airline tickets today, looking forward to this event, fingers crossed.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/11/20 05:06 AM

Airline tickets!!!! That's just a short bicycle ride form Kneevada aint it?

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/14/20 05:13 PM

I just wanted to mention that there is plenty of tent camping on the fairgrounds, as well as about a dozen camper hookups for electricity also. The fairgrounds collects the $ for the camping, but I've been told it is very minimal. NO open fires are allowed. Wyoming is dry in the summer, and fire danger is always a concern.

There are bathrooms and showers in the camping area, and it is within a few hundred yards of the main building and the demo area.

Everything is within a short walk.

It's going to be a good time, and the interest and response we've had has been great!
Posted By: RenoMick

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/17/20 03:38 PM

Thought about driving, but I'm impatient. A 14 hour drive, verses a 2 hr flight to Denver and a 4 hour drive from there. Besides I had airline credit, tickets didn't cost me a dime. grin
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/17/20 05:06 PM

John who do we call to get a camp spot? Are they reservable?
Posted By: Swifty

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/17/20 05:56 PM

I doubt that any are reservable. I don't recall any sort of board or anyway to post a reservation for an electic/water hookup "spot". unless some were installed since last summer. The non electric/water hookup camping is simply open space on the fairgrounds to park or put up a tent. All the trees to try to get a tent under for shade, are right along the north boundary, right along the highway coming into town. If you don't need/want shade, there is plenty of open area further away from the road.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/17/20 08:23 PM

Swifty is right. The spots for campers needing power (I think 11-12) are on a 'First come, first serve' basis. The fairgrounds themselves run that, and you simply pay them in the office about 100 yards away.

There is basically unlimited parking spots for people that don't need hookups or are tent camping

I've rolled my bedroll out and slept on the ground at many conventions and there'd be plenty of spots for that too!

AND, there are other campgrounds in Lusk too. One of them is owned by a friend of mine, and is only about 5-6 blocks from the grounds.

It is BJ's Campground (307) 334-2314 They have full hookups, and have a nice place. I'm thinking they'd take reservations, and I know people stayed there last year. It's literally a 5-10 minute walk, or 2 minutes by vehicle. A great option that is not along the highway like the spots on the fairgrounds are.

Thanks for asking, and thanks, Swifty!
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/17/20 10:15 PM

Thanks guys. Hopefully we can make it

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/18/20 10:42 PM

John, do you have a demo list yet? Maybe I missed it. Looking forward to Coyote Days again this year.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 12:07 AM

Les Johnson- NE Predator Calling
Dan Hartman- MT. Trapping/Snaring Predators
Scott Huber- SD Coyote Politics & Trivia
Justin Lemke- MT. Coyote fur Put Up
Evan Anderson- SD. Trapping/Snaring Coyotes
Mark Zagger- NY Coyote Trapping
Jim Halseth- MT Coyote Trapping
Jim Arneson- MT Coyote calling with dogs
Joel Blakeslee- NV Bobcat Trapping
Bill Ilchick- NV Bobcat Trapping
Major Boddicker- CO Coyotes as a Business
Colton Gillum- WY Coyote Calling
Otis Latham- CO Finer Points of Fur Handling
Todd Fairchild- CO Finer Points of Fur Handling
Keith Gregerson- MT Coyote Snaring
Chris McAllister- SD Coyote ADC Trapping
Dick Hane- CO Coyote Work from A-Z
Mike Wilhite- WI Coyote Trapping & Fur report
Bob Noonan- ME Banquet Speaker

The Fridays Night Round table will be a great one!
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 12:34 AM

What a great list. Looks like it will be a great get together.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 12:40 AM

Thanks, Todd
Posted By: woodchip

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 12:52 AM

Hey John
Can’t wait for coyote days what a great list of demonstrators 2 guys from central Montana
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 01:28 AM

I'd like to make it but probably won't happen this year. I'm flying back to North Carolina to see my family this fall. That burns up most of my vacation time that's left.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
I'd like to make it but probably won't happen this year. I'm flying back to North Carolina to see my family this fall. That burns up most of my vacation time that's left.

This old guy was looking forward to meeting you there young man. Maybe next time. .

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 02:12 AM

Great line up John. If it was a week earlier....
wink

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho

This old guy was looking forward to meeting you there young man. Maybe next time. .

I got my friend Sean trying to retalk me into coming which I really want to. I might can make it work, just not totally sure yet.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 04:07 AM

Sounds great, and I'm happy so many people are planning on coming!

I'll be posting a schedule of events very soon.

We'll have a super busy demo list, and 2 very full days. All I can say right now is that if you can get here Thursday night, it's probably a smart move. The first demo will be early FRIDAY morning, and continue all day until 6pm

The Friday evening Round Table will start around 7 p.m.

On Saturday, we'll open the doors and kick things off at 7 a.m.
First demo on SATURDAY will be 8 a.m. and continue all day, right through lunch!

There will be food available on the grounds, within 25 yards of the demo area (weather permitting) so you grab something to eat in a matter of minutes, or bring your cooler.

And, we've had people ask, and yes, we are charging $10 a person, for 18 and over.

That will be used to cover the rent on fairgrounds, advertising, motel rooms for demo presenters, and other misc. expenses.

If you want to learn more about coyotes from A-Z, this might be the best $10 you ever spend!

Thanks! John
Posted By: cmcf

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/19/20 06:32 PM

Thanks John I was going to ask about admission fee but saw it in your last post. Thinking about taking a day of work off for a day trip.

anyway. TTT.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/22/20 03:55 AM

I wanted to take a minute to make an update in the motel situation for Coyote Days.

The Covered Wagon Motel in Lusk has agreed to offer 'Coyote Days' rates for people that call them and mention that they are coming for the event! It's a nice motel located on the corner across from Fairgrounds, and literally a few hundred yards to the front gate of the grounds.

They offer a continental type breakfast, lots of parking, etc.

Their Number is: (307) 334-2836

And, I made a slight change to the demo lineup also:

Instead of myself doing a demo with my work partner Dale Greenough, I am going to have our mutual friend, Richard Edwards, from Nebraska do the joint demo with Dale.

Rich and Dale were both Government trappers starting back in the 80's and have done a lot of hunting and trapping over the years. It's a good addition to the lineup!

Things are really coming together

Thanks, and Happy Fathers Day to everyone !

John
Posted By: Castormound

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/22/20 09:48 PM

What time will the demos start on Friday morning as I will be driving up from Cheyenne?

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/23/20 01:45 AM

Right now, we're planning on kicking off the demos at 9 a.m. on Friday morning.

We'll open the doors at 7 a.m. for breakfast and selling the wristbands for weekend and tickest for banquet, raffles, etc.

Will probably do a brief opening ceremony, and a buddy of mine from Michigan will sing the National Anthem at 7;45 a.m. in the demo area.

First demo will be Dale Greenough (WY) & Richard Edwards (NE) Both coyote hands their whole lives.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/23/20 02:13 AM

Thanks

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/24/20 01:45 AM

Castormound, you are welcome. We're glad to hear you are coming back!

I got the story on the camping on the Fairgrounds

$5/Night for tent camping

$20/Night for the camper hookups

Like I mentioned before, there is showers and bathrooms in the camping area.

About 11-12 electric hookups (No water)
No reservations, and just pay inside, on the Honor System

Limitless tent camping. NO fires

The camping area is a few hundred yards from the main building and Demo area

There is also a campground a few blocks away: BJ's Campground (307) 334-2314
Maybe a little quieter, but a few minutes from the fairgrounds.

I hate to repeat myself, but these are always the questions that we get asked, right up until the day!

And, again, the Covered Wagon Motel is giving Coyote Days rates, if you ask (307) 334-2836

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 06/27/20 10:22 AM

I finally got to talk (text) to my final person to commit to giving a demo a Coyote Days, so the roster is full. Our good friend of many years, Roc Lee, from Livingston, MT., finally slowed down long enough for me to confirm that he would return and give his no nonsense, straight forward trapping/snaring demo. Roc has one of the top coyote fur catches in Montana year after year, and is a go getter for sure. We've been friends a long time, and I was very happy he agreed to come again!

That makes 19 demos and a round table discussion in 2 days

20 opportunities to watch and listen, and learn from some of the very best.

20 for 2020.

I'll be posting the demo roster this weekend.

Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/12/20 09:37 PM

Alright I got the vacation time approved and I'm on the board for Coyote Days 2020. Thanks for putting this on, John. I will be a first time attendee.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/13/20 03:13 AM

Hey, You are welcome. Thanks for planning to attend!

We've had people from at least 25 states confirm that they are coming.

I've been in contact with some of the demo presenters over the weekend, and the topics and information that they are going to share will be some that I assure you will be found NO where else.

And, like I've said before, just the general caliber and cross section of ALL kinds of coyote producers and industry leaders that will be at Coyote Days will be unprecedented.

Fur harvesting, Predator Control (by guys that actually do it), fur handling, and marketing.

And, the Friday Night Round table panel will be a chance to bounce ideas, questions and theories off of a wide range of people.

I've got a few vendors that I'm working with on details, that I'll announce later in the week.

I guess if I have anything to consider at this moment is that the Demos will start a little earlier on Friday than previous.

9 a.m. On Friday.... I just think with the distance traveled and other factors, I figured we'd pack in as much as possible.

If you can, consider coming the night before,to be here to not miss anything.
I think the motels will have rooms available for Thursday night too.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I try to check daily.

We're in the heat of summer right now, so I leave literally in the middle of the night to hunt coyotes most days. It might be a day or two before I respond, but I will.

Thanks, John
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/13/20 12:26 PM

When is the Wyoming State Trappers Association convention?

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/13/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote Clayton
When is the Wyoming State Trappers Association convention?

Same days, in Riverton.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/14/20 11:46 AM

Yeah, There is big competition on the east side of the state for motel rooms, from the Sturgis Bike Rally.
Last year, before I turned the keys for the fairgrounds in after Coyote Days, I consulted with our local Chamber of Commerce and discussed
how to avoid that conflict this year.

Sturgis was planned for a week later this year, some sort of anniversary, and there is always a steady flow of bikes for a week after the event, so we decided to push Coyote Days back a week.

3 of the 5 motels in Lusk have been booked for a month or more, and I know the other 2 have been booking rooms too.
To hold an event of this size, we have to have the motel rooms available.

That was all pre-Corona, so who knows how bike the Sturgis rally will be, but I do hope its well attended, as the tourism is a huge factor doe businesses on this side of the state.

I do know Coyote Days will be very well attended, and that extends the tourist season a week. That only leaves a month until the general hunting season. It was all taken into consideration .

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/17/20 10:36 AM

A few updates/Thoughts

With the Social Distancing gig on everyone's mind, I guess bringing your own folding chair wouldn't be a bad idea for watching demos.
We'll have as many bleachers as we can fit, but I know chairs would come in handy too. The demo area is a large grassy spot, so plenty of room. We have our own sound system, so hearing the speaker won't be a problem.

And, Once again, Miss Rodeo Wyoming will at Coyote Days the entire weekend. MRW 2020 is Rachel Derner
Rachel is a ranch girl, and we've visited about trapping. She is PRO fur and PRO predator control, so she'll fit right in.

We sponsored her with an Arctic Fox coat this year and she'll be wearing it in the Fur Fashion Show on Saturday night.

And, We have a Henry Golden Boy .22 that she'll be selling raffle tickets for, which the winner will be drawn on Saturday Night too. She is only selling the tickets at Coyote Days, so someone that attends will win it. I donate the gun, so any and all money she makes is hers for traveling and other expenses throughout the year. Rachel's a great spokesperson and represents the fur industry well.

We're a little over a month away!

Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/17/20 11:06 AM

John, do you have a list of vendors? Maybe I've missed it.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/17/20 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Les Johnson- NE Predator Calling
Dan Hartman- MT. Trapping/Snaring Predators
Scott Huber- SD Coyote Politics & Trivia
Justin Lemke- MT. Coyote fur Put Up
Evan Anderson- SD. Trapping/Snaring Coyotes
Mark Zagger- NY Coyote Trapping
Jim Halseth- MT Coyote Trapping
Jim Arneson- MT Coyote calling with dogs
Joel Blakeslee- NV Bobcat Trapping
Bill Ilchick- NV Bobcat Trapping
Major Boddicker- CO Coyotes as a Business
Colton Gillum- WY Coyote Calling
Otis Latham- CO Finer Points of Fur Handling
Todd Fairchild- CO Finer Points of Fur Handling
Keith Gregerson- MT Coyote Snaring
Chris McAllister- SD Coyote ADC Trapping
Dick Hane- CO Coyote Work from A-Z
Mike Wilhite- WI Coyote Trapping & Fur report
Bob Noonan- ME Banquet Speaker

The Fridays Night Round table will be a great one!

Here it is!
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/17/20 11:32 AM

Looks more like a list of demos rather than vendors. Just saying........ ,)
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/17/20 11:45 AM

yes is there a vendor's list

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/17/20 12:32 PM

In the past this has been a limited vendor event. John sets up and handles most all your trapping needs, sometimes one other trapping supply outfit. Les Johnson will have your predator hunting needs, Otis and I will be there with fur handling supplies (stretchers, pullers, etc.) Keith Gregerson with his Mini Mall in the parking lot. Plus a gun dealer and tanned fur/coat pillow booth. Thats been the past vendor set up.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/17/20 05:08 PM

Todd, is right, it's going to be basically the vendors as in the past:

Gregerson MFG
Latham Stretchers (and some beautiful crafted wood items)
Todd Fairchild (Monster Toms) Fur handling items
Halseth Lures
Fur Country Lures/Amberg Snares/ Montana Traps
Les Johnson- Predator Quest
Zerbe Gunworks
Forrest Lewis- Fur products/blankets, etc.

This year, Mel Belding is driving over from Nevada with Bill & joel, and he has several products like drags, etc.

Trappers Post Magazine will be represented by Mike Wilhite, who is also giving a talk or two

And, I'm waiting on final word from a company that makes Gun Silencers

That's about it, unless something changes.

We leave half the building's floor space open for tables and chairs for people to eat, and in event of rain.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/17/20 05:11 PM

Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/19/20 02:28 AM

OK, Here's the TENTATIVE demo list for Coyote Days
And by that I mean that things might change by an hour here and there, because of factors that I can't control. But, this will be pretty accurate. If there is a major change, I'll try to get the word out.

We're opening the doors at 7 a.m. both days now. A lot of people are coming Thursday Night, to be here Friday morning.

Demos start at 9 a.m. on Friday, and then on Saturday. they'll start at 8 a.m.

FRIDAY AUGUST 21
7 a.m. Doors open--
8:45 a.m. National Anthem by Pete Mallette and Opening Talk in Demo Area by John Graham

DEMOS
9 a.m. Dale Greenough WY & Richard Edwards NE Old School predator control by 2 lifelong Coyote hands
10 a.m. Colten Gillum WY Coyote Calling
11 a.m. Jim Arneson MT Coyote calling with dogs, and calling techniques
12 a.m. Dick Hane CO Coyote control as a business and trapping tips
1 p.m. Jim Halseth MT Coyote fur harvesting (Jim is one of Montana's top fur producers every year)
2 p.m. Vern Howey WY Coyote ADC work, calling
3 p.m. Otis Latham & Todd Fairchild CO Coyote fur handling & marketing tips
4 p.m. Chris McAllister SD Coyote trapping for fur and ADC (Chris is past president of the NTA)
5 p.m. Keith Gregerson MT Snaring from A-Z

7:30 p.m.? Round Table discussion - Any Demo person can sit on this! ( this went until way past dark last year, and no doubt will again)

Saturday AUGUST 22

7 a.m. Doors open--
7:45 Opening talk in Demo Area by John Graham

DEMOS
8 a.m. Roc Lee MT Coyote Snaring (Roc is a top fur producer in Montana year after year)
9a.m. Mark Zagger NY Pipe Dream set (Mark is coming all the way from NY to show his famous set!)
10 a.m. Les Johnson NE Predator Calling from world class caller and Predator Quest TV show host
11 a.m. Justin Lemke MT Coyote fur handling and fur tips
12 a.m. Boone Liane SD Coyote Trapping and Coyote talk in general
1 p.m. Dan Hartman MT Coyote Trapping for fur and predator control (Dan is rancher & trapper)
2 p.m. Major Boddicker CO Coyote work and Coyote knowledge based on a lifetime
3 p.m. Evan Anderson SD Coyote Trapping & Snaring (Evan produces huge amounts of fur in 2 states)
4 p.m. Scott Huber SD Coyote facts, trivia and some things to make you think
5 p.m. Joel Blakeslee & Bill Ilchick NV Bobcats by two of the west top producers (will no doubt go past 6 pm)

As you can see, it will be back to back DEMOS all day Friday & Saturday

6:30 pm. Happy Hour at Banquet
7:30 BANQUET (Grilled Steaks) Raffle Drawings- Auction-- Fur Fashion Show--
Special Guest Speaker- Mike Wilhite of Trapper Post Magazine

Miss Rodeo Wyoming 2020 Rachel Derner will draw for Henry Golden Boy .22 Rifle

There will be a few more SURPRISE SPEAKERS at the banquet!

Like I mentioned before, There will be many, many top fur and predator control people, and fur industry influence in attendance. The opportunity to visit, learn, and SHARE is what Coyote Days is all about.

$10 ENTRY for weekend

There will be concessions for food all day Friday and until 6 p.m. on Saturday

Camping on the fairgrounds is $5/ night for tents (pay at fairgrounds office)
Limited spaces for hookups, first come basis (pay at fairgrounds office)
There is a bathroom/shower building in camping area

2 Campgrounds with hookups close by:

BJ's Campground (307) 334-2314
Prairie View (307) 334-3174

Motels (within easy walking) Covered Wagon Motel (307) 334-2836
Pioneer Best Western (307) 334-2640

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/23/20 10:06 PM

Everything is coming together very well, and time is flying by!

Our local gun dealer just picked us up 2 Ruger rifles ( One 25/06 & One 22-250) for raffle drawings,and along with Miss Rodeo Wyoming's .22 Henry Golden Boy, that makes 3 guns to be drawn for that the winners WILL be attendees of Coyote Days, because the tickets will ONLY be sold there.

And, a reminder/request for folks to bring along a folding chair or whatever to sit on, while watching demos, to be in the spirit of social distancing. We'll have 12 sets of bleachers too, but if spacing is a concern for you, bring something comfortable!

I'm hearing from more and more people that are planning on getting to Lusk on Thursday night, and some are wondering about checking in to the camping area on the fairgrounds. It will NOT be a problem. You can pay at any time. There is NO registration to camp. So if you get here in the middle of the night, find a grassy spot and set up. Pay later. The fairgrounds is handling the camping, and they are VERY easy to get along with.

We have NO plans for Thursday! It's set up day for us and a few dealers.

The event starts bright and early on Friday

Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/23/20 10:16 PM

Great to hear things are happening count down is on!

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/23/20 11:49 PM

And, Monster Toms, you might bring a needle and thread for your fur handling demo......

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/23/20 11:55 PM

I dont leave home without it!!
Posted By: Arrow B

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/24/20 03:11 AM

It sure was a good time last year. Can't wait to jump in the truck and head west.
Thanks John for all you do to make this a great event.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/26/20 09:14 PM

Arrow B, Thanks for making the trip again. And, I can't take all the credit. There are a lot of people, including my family and several friends that step up and make this event happen. It's a really busy 2-3 days for us, but to see all the familiar faces show up and get together, makes it all worthwhile. I've been slowly planning this event for 20 years, and the response has been overwhelming.

We've had people ask what else there is to see while in the area, and all I can say is PLENTY.

Including:
Fort Robinson, Nebraska is 50 miles east. It's one of the coolest historical places that I've ever visited.

The Museum of the Fur Trade is a MUST SEE. It's in Chadron, NE., about 90 miles east of Lusk, WY.

The Black Hills, and MT Rushmore, are 2 hours NE.

The Bighorn Mtns in Wyoming are 4 hours NW

Cody Wyoming is 5 hours NW

It would NOT be hard to see interesting and fun things while coming or going. This part of the world is still operating as usual, within reason, and the wide open spaces sure doesn't hurt.

For you pheasant hunters, the first demo at Coyote Days is being given by Richard Edwards and Dale Greenough. Richard owns Rooster Junction, a world class pheasant hunting operation in the panhandle of Nebraska (Yes, Nebraska). If you are interested in hunting next fall, look him up, he's not hard to spot!

For any of you looking to take trapping instructions in the future, one of the demo presenters on Saturday is Dan Hartman, from Broadus, MT.
Dan is a sheep & cattle rancher, and a real 'Buckaroo' type coyote trapper. He does predator control and fur trapping on his own outfit, and other ranches in SE Montana. He's also on the Powder River Co. Predator board. His qualifications make him a great choice for a demo spot at Coyote Days. Dan is starting to give some instructions, and he'll be here all weekend long to visit with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that we've tried to cover the bases for EVERYONE to get something new and exciting and thought provoking out of this. Who knows how long the markets will hold up. The end of August is a good launching and planning time for the upcoming season, and the group that gathers at Coyote Days will inspire anyone.

It's coming up fast. See you there!
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/26/20 10:13 PM

Museum of the Mtn Man (Jim Bridger) in Pinedale WY.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/27/20 12:26 AM

I've been to John's get together the last three years. Here are some things me and the family have done in conjunction coming from the northeast.

Mount Rushmore, Mammoth Site in Hot Springs, Needles Highway, Crazy Horse Monument, Wind Cave NP, Devils Tower, tour the Black Hills, Wall SD. If a guy can take a the time off of work he can truly make this a family vacation. My problem is I've always tried to squeeze things into 3 days and it's a 22 hour round trip if I haul butt to get there and back.

It's worth it just to see Bill eat two ribeyes.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/27/20 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
I've been to John's get together the last three years. Here are some things me and the family have done in conjunction coming from the northeast.

Mount Rushmore, Mammoth Site in Hot Springs, Needles Highway, Crazy Horse Monument, Wind Cave NP, Devils Tower, tour the Black Hills, Wall SD. If a guy can take a the time off of work he can truly make this a family vacation. My problem is I've always tried to squeeze things into 3 days and it's a 22 hour round trip if I haul butt to get there and back.

It's worth it just to see Bill eat two ribeyes.

And if you know the secret handshake, the bourbon tasting class is top notch.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 07/27/20 05:05 AM

I'd rather have fresh peaches(hint hint, otis)

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/01/20 10:59 PM

UPDATE; I had a planning committee meeting with my buddy that runs the demos at Coyote Days, and we decided on a few things that will no doubt make things run a bit smoother, and also help handle the anticipated crowd that is growing literally every day.

We are at the mercy of late August weather, with temps that can range from the high 50's to mid 90's, and maybe rain/hail at any given moment.

Obviously, we hope for and plan for having decent weather, but with the way things are shaping up, we can't totally rely on that happening, even if we monitor it on our phones, like we all seem to do.

So, we have decided to set up the 12 portable bleachers and other seats in the usual demo area, which is just north of the main building; AND, also have the main grandstands and arena set up for another option.

This will provide shade and cover from rain, AND more seating, which will likely be required.

It will also be easier to use lighting for the Friday evening round table discussion, which was a HUGE hit last year, and went very late in to the evening.

The seats in the grandstands are all aluminum, and have back rests. They are very nice, and modern.

But, we are still suggesting to maybe bring a folding chair for personal seating if we use the main outdoor area (lawn).

We will have the details worked out by then, so there will hopefully be NO confusion.

I have some good friends that help us put Coyote Days on, and I grateful that they are great problem solvers!

I'll add more as we get closer!

Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/02/20 03:52 PM

Might need one of these this year!!
[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/02/20 05:27 PM

Hey, Don't think that I didn't look for one close by!

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/09/20 01:36 PM

OK, we are less than 2 weeks away, and things are moving along very well!

We've had some questions about the banquet, which was a huge hit last year.

We are currently considering and weighing the options of having the banquet outside this year. Seating, spacing, lighting, etc. are all factors.

The weather is also a major concern, and we'll play it by ear. Luckily, I have a lot of friends and volunteers that can set up the tables in short order, and we'll make that decision Saturday.

Tickets for the banquet are on a first come basis. Tickets will be available at the main building, where the vendors and food concessions will be. We will have about 250 banquet tickets for sale. Rib eye Steaks on the grill are on the menu, and with beef prices at the stores still hanging on the high side, we've decided to go to $20 per ticket to compensate. We'll cut up 20 loins on Friday night to get them seasoned and ready for Saturday night. We use 2 huge grills to cook them in about 1/2 and hour or less, to get everyone through the line and seated.

The banquet will also feature several guest speakers, gun raffle drawings, buckle raffle, Fur Fashion Show, and a short auction.

And, again, NO fires in the camping area. It's a county-wide ban! Grills are fine though.

And, NO tailgaters. The vendors that are coming were invited, and they know who they are. Most are demo presenters, and I give them booth space to set up. I promise that there will be a wide variety of things to chose from, ranging from Otis Latham basswood stretchers to Vern Howey shooting sticks.

The cost for the event is $10 for people 18 and over. Kids are welcome and can attend free of charge.

Paying attendees will be given a rubber wrist band, and that will be needed to get in to the demo area.

I've been 'counseled' on the topic of not putting myself on the demo list. So, I've decided to give a 45 minute to hour demo on Friday night, after Keith Gregerson's famous snaring demo, and the Round Table discussion.

We're doing everything we can to allow social distancing as much as possible.

I hope this answers some questions. Thanks, John
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/09/20 06:41 PM

I won't be able to attend unfortunately, but give Vern Howey my regards. I got to know him at Rawlins in the 90's on one of Norm Heater's coyote calling competitions. I still use the sticks I got from him back then.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/10/20 10:56 PM

I'm sorry that you can't make it, but I Do understand.

I'll tell Vern that you said Hello.

We go way back. In 1985, He was hired as a denner to work with Bill Austin, and I was working with Vernon Dorn.

We'd been hired to work as seasonal coyote denners in Carbon County, WY.

I remember the morning that we all met up and visited the first time. I was pretty green at the time! I'd give about anything to go back to that time and get a picture of all of us. And, 35 years later, and I'm still putting what I learned from Vernon Dorn to use.

Vern Howey is just one of the 'Greats' that will be giving a demo at Coyote Days. I'm honored that he is coming.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/14/20 02:07 AM

Just a quick clarification.

Coyote Days is still ON!

It was the Wyoming State Trappers Association that cancelled, NOT Coyote Days.

Thanks, John
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/14/20 03:39 AM

If it rains I’ll be there

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/15/20 11:25 AM

Pawnee- Well, then I hope it rains in your part of the world! As much as we need rain here in Eastern Wyoming, I hope it rains during the night, just to settle the dust, and if a real gully washer would happen along, we'd take it.

But, the weather forecast for next weekend looks fine, here in Lusk.

Lows of 59 at night, and high 80's for the daytime. Wyoming pretty much always cools off at night, and if we get a little breeze, so much the better.

Things are moving along very well.

Mike Wilhite, From Trappers Post Magazine, texted me that he's sent several boxes of the magazine and other items out ahead, and that he'd be arriving Thursday Evening. Mike has been to Wyoming several times to share some time in the field with us, and I know he is looking forward to coming back. He'll have a Trappers Post booth at Coyote Days, and will also be doing a market report and sharing his adventure in the Yukon from last winter with us at the Saturday night banquet.

I put a fresh called and shot coyote in the freezer a few days ago, and I will take it out late Friday night so it can thaw out for Justin Lemke's skinning demo on Saturday. I've got some put-up coyotes here for him to go through grades with also.

I picked up the rifle for one of the gun raffles the other night. It is a Ruger American 25/06
It has a brown/tan stock, and also the barrel is threaded for a suppressor. It would make a great coyote or combination rifle. Tickets for it will ONLY be sold at Coyote Days, so someone attending will win it.

The Henry Golden Boy .22 that I bought for Miss Rodeo Wyoming 2020, Rachel Derner, to raffle off, will be here Monday according to the tracking number. Rachel will also sell the tickets for it here at Coyote Days only, so someone here will win it too.

I've been in contact with some of the demo presenters this last week or two, and I can assure you that they've got their acts together!

The information shared and the topics covered are second to none.

I've got it from 'The top' that there WILL be a coyote market this year, and we'll probably get to hear about it first hand at Coyote Days.

There's still a few rooms left in town if you need one, but most are getting booked up. I think the Covered Wagon Motel still has some, and they are offering a 'Coyote Days' discount. (307) 334-2836 is their number.

Tent camping on the Fairgrounds is basically unlimited, and is $5/night. There IS a shower house and bathroom right there too.
The fairgrounds collects the money for that,

There is also plenty of room for campers, but only about a dozen with electrical hookups. Those are on a first come basis at $20/night.

And again, NO open fires.

I have to roll, summer time coyote work means being out there early. I hope to see you here next weekend. It's going to be a great way to start off the 2020 season!

Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/15/20 12:26 PM

Have a wonderful gathering John!
Blessings to all y'all.

Mark

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/15/20 11:37 PM

Thanks, Mark

It's only a week away now. We'll be firing up the grills to cook 250-300 rib eyes about this time next Saturday!
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/16/20 12:01 AM

Looking forward to it
Posted By: MChewk

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/16/20 01:45 PM

Looks like a great time and the information will be top notch!
As far as those Vern Howey shooting sticks that Beaverpeeler mentioned...yep got a pair
In the 1990s and they are still in great shape....John please tell Vern I said Hello.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/17/20 08:20 AM

Thanks Mike, And I'll be sure to tell Vern that you said "Hi".

It's count down time.

I just sent Zagger my cell # and the motel info for where he'll be staying at.

He's flying in from NY

We'll be putting sod in the demo area to let him show us how to make his famous 'Pipe Dream' set!

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 10:17 AM

John, with the big crowd expected, will there be any designated handicapped parking available?

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 11:58 AM

LDW- The parking lot is huge, and I know finding parking won't be a problem. There is designated handicap parking in front of the main fairgrounds office building, which is on blacktop. It is about 175 yards from the building we use, and on Saturday, the demos will be even closer. PM me your cell #, and I'll text you mine. We can stay in touch that way, if you need anything

And yes, we anticipate a large attendance. We'll do everything we can to make Coyote Days 2020 a great experience for everyone that attends.

We'll open the doors at 7 a.m. on Friday morning. We'll have homemade biscuits & gravy at the concessions, which has been a big hit before, so we've decided to do it again.

National anthem will be at 8:45 a.m. or so, and the first demo will be at 9 a.m. This is for Friday.

Again, NO open fires in the camping area.

$10 admission for the weekend, which will get you a wristband to show that you've paid.

All vendors will be in the building, and NO tailgating. The only outside vendor will be Keith Gregerson and his Montana Mini Mall!

Oh, anyone coming in from the East or West, expect a little road construction. There might be a short wait. It's that time of year.

Thanks, John
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 12:06 PM

I am looking forward to it. I will be setting up my camp thursday evening. free coyote killing lessons. what could be better?

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I am looking forward to it. I will be setting up my camp thursday evening. free coyote killing lessons. what could be better?

Looks like fun to me. See you there, Danny!

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 02:42 PM

Lee, I am glad you are coming as I look forward to meeting you.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 03:33 PM

John -

What this event needs is an “official photographer”. Some one that doesn’t care about the demos (strange, I know), whose only responsibility is to take pictures and post them on the internet. That way Every one that has had their state conventions canceled can enjoy the convention atmosphere remotely.

Hope every one that is attending has a great weekend and thank you (John Graham) for putting this event together. A lot of hard work has gone in to making Coyote Days happen.

Stay safe.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 05:39 PM

Yes as Nancy said photographer if possible. I always enjoy the pictures... Hope all have a great time a kudos to you John.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 05:54 PM

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/...bfea5d039fcefe2060b0e5da3a00c196b822be45

grin grin grin grin

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 05:58 PM

Looks like nice weather. Lil warm but better than rain. Looking forward to finally meeting you Danny.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 06:01 PM

Flint, danny, and Lee take a few minutes and feel sorry for me please.lol Looks like no rain here so my butt will be planted in silage chopper seat. Have fun and drive safe.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Flint, danny, and Lee take a few minutes and feel sorry for me please.lol Looks like no rain here so my butt will be planted in silage chopper seat. Have fun and drive safe.

Darn, was hoping you would make it! Get them boys back from indoctrination and come with us! grin

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 06:27 PM

I wondered with this no rain forecast..... Dang the luck
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 06:28 PM

Heck, that sounds like a blast. Too bad I'm here in Canada.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 06:55 PM

Nancy, Yes, we Do have an official photographer! Cattrax takes a bunch and posts them, as well as Monster Toms.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Danny, it's almost free, You'll be dinged $10 for a wristband that will get you through the gate for the weekend. Really looking forward to seeing you Guys!

It's going to be fairly warm, but hopefully it will rain an inch on Sunday night after clean up. We can sure use it.

Zagman and I are planning on going calling early Thursday a.m. No pipe dream sets, just a call and our rifles.

I just put a couple of coyotes in the freezer for the skinning demos. We should be all set. The fur coats are on their way for the fur fashion show. Guns are here for the raffles.

It's coming up quick!

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/18/20 07:23 PM

Well, I don’t think Cattrax is much of a photographer but if that is the best you can do then that is what we will have to deal with. LOL

The above post was made in sarcasm mode. Because I like to pick on Cattrax. 🤑

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/19/20 02:18 AM

OK, a few changes/updates-

Dick Hane, from Colorado won't be able to attend and give his demo unfortunately

But, Kyle Krebs from ND has stepped up and is going to fill in for Dick and do a snaring/trapping demo on Friday.

Kyle stacks up a bunch of ND coyotes every year, and is a hard worker. He'll do a good job, I promise.

And, Jim Halseth from Montana won't be attending, and I asked Greg Petska, from Ord, NE to give his excellent fur handling/grading demo on Friday too.

I'll keep everyone posted if I hear of anything else.

Thanks, John
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/19/20 03:16 AM

My old buddy "Webb" and I will be heading down Thursday afternoon. Joe and Logan are planning to come too. We are looking forward to seeing old friends, attend some demo's and eat some good chow. We appreciate all the hard work and planning to put it on. See you soon.
Posted By: obaro

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/19/20 06:43 PM

Well, if things will hold together around the place for another day, I will be headed that way. Hopefully can put some faces with some of the names I see on hear. Travel safe.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/19/20 08:41 PM

430am I'm hitting the rd
Posted By: kansaskoons

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/19/20 10:12 PM

Headed that way in the morning!
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/19/20 11:16 PM

Have a great time everyone and safe travels. The coyotes are in big trouble this year. I agree with wiss miss on someone taking and posting pics for the rest of us.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 12:41 AM

This could very well be one of he biggest western get together in many years.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
This could very well be one of he biggest western get together in many years.

Just told Flint Hill fur the same thing on the phone. Hope everyone has a great time and learns a lot

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 01:07 AM

It's too bad you aren't going to make it Pawnee.

We should start a pool and guess attendance numbers, I think it will be north of 400 say 475.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 01:12 AM

I think so too Steven. If Lee had the permits to sale and advertise his wine they could have pushed 1000 or more grin

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 01:17 AM

Hope everyone has safe travels see you all in Lusk!!

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 03:03 AM

The pilgrimage to Lust will start in the morning! grin

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 07:52 AM

Lee, that sounds a little personal lol

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 08:17 AM

Drive safe and enjoy the sights everyone. There is still a few bikers coming and going from the Sturgis area, so watch for them. Lots of singles, and two or three bike groups that sneak up on you.

The weather looks good, although I hope it rains, starting on Monday.

Zagman and I are going calling this morning, and we should have another fresh coyote to thrown in the freezer long enough to get it at least partially frozen before someone skins it in a demo.

I won't even try to comment on Lee's lust mention. But, it's hot enough that he might start seeing mirages......

It's set-up day.

Tomorrow is D-Day, or should I say- C Day!

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 09:58 AM

Its all ready morning
Posted By: Zagman

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by John Graham
Drive safe and enjoy the sights everyone. There is still a few bikers coming and going from the Sturgis area, so watch for them. Lots of singles, and two or three bike groups that sneak up on you.

The weather looks good, although I hope it rains, starting on Monday.

Zagman and I are going calling this morning, and we should have another fresh coyote to thrown in the freezer long enough to get it at least partially frozen before someone skins it in a demo.

I won't even try to comment on Lee's lust mention. But, it's hot enough that he might start seeing mirages......

It's set-up day.

Tomorrow is D-Day, or should I say- C Day!

My Dad always said, like a TRUE Marine: "If you ain't early, you're late!"

I drew the lucky hand, was in town early, and John invited me out to see his country and do some control work with his decoy dog Bo.......

Lot's of pressure to get more coyotes for skinning demos!

We made two stands and got one on the second set-up, and Bo worked the pair of coyotes back into shotgun range. We'd have gotten both if I, well, never mind.........

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What a great way to kick-off Coyote Days! Looks like the crowd is already starting to roll into town......gonna be a blast!

Zagman
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 06:28 PM

Nice! Getting closer to Lusk Wyoming, almost to Valentine Nebraska.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/20/20 06:30 PM

Darn you Zagger that looks like a ball! That coyote looks like a PRIME Illinois coyote. Told Vern Howey the same thing on his July coyotes that we killed.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/21/20 11:55 AM

I believe Vern Howey is coming to this event

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/21/20 01:38 PM

Be sure to shake his hand and tell him Marchewka said HELLO
Good man! One heck of a shot.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 01:45 AM

A big THANK YOU to everyone that attended, and especially the guys that participated as demo presenters!

I am do grateful to have so many top quality friends and my family that ALL helped make this event happen.

Coyotes were covered from A-Z, and everything in between.

The Friday night round table (actually a 40' hay trailer with chairs) was a highlight of my entire life. It was truly history making to say the least.

Some of us drove over to Chadron and went to the Museum of the Fur Traders late this afternoon, which is always a treat.

I'm tired, as is Nicole and the kids

Earlier bedtime tonight!
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 01:54 AM

Glad you guys got to go ahead with coyote days. I hope you can continue to put this event on, I would love to attend in the future the stars Just haven’t aligned for me yet

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 01:57 AM

Glad it went well. Some day I hope to be there. Hope everyone had and has a safe drive home

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 03:13 AM

Made it home a little bit ago; sure worth the trip. Lot of things to think to over for sure. Visiting with Vern Howey for a little bit was definitely a high light. Hopefully get to do that again sometime.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 11:31 AM

Pictures anyone?
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 11:49 AM

Sounds like a great time, I am glad it was able to happen with all the other trapper get togethers being canceled.

Scott

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 01:58 PM

Was a fun get together, and I thank John for sticking with it through it all! Busy man! Was fun to meet some that I'd only heard about, and renew old friendships from years past. Only seen one person wearing a mask the whole time, and was fun to at least be able to go to one event where the gov had not shut down our get togethers. Thanks again for an enjoyable weekend, John!
Posted By: oneeyedtrapper

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 03:14 PM

[Linked Image]

The only people picture I took this weekend. This guy had his helpers with him!

Great get together. Unbelievable the amount of knowledge that was freely shared. Thanks John for organizing this.
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 06:59 PM

Was another great year, and a lot of fun, got to meet some new members from Tman, Lee Steinmeyer was great to visit with, and Dan Clifton was good meeting you too, and Mark Zagger was a lot of fun ( for a New Yorker) don't let him fool ya, he says he's really from Ohio! laugh

A lot of people at the demos, even when it got hot, there was still a lot at them, except WissMiss, never seen her show up in the crowds! laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 07:00 PM

John, a great big thank you to you, your family and everyone else that help put this together, you guys knocked it out of the park. As I expressed to you, coming from a state that is pretty much shut down, it is much appreciated to do something normal and gather with friends.

To those who couldn't make it, plan for next year. I can only guess at attendance but it's growing exponentialuly every year that I have gone. I forget the number off the top of my head but 24 or 25 different state license plates were in the parking lot. I can probably think of a dozen people from MN that were there.

If coyotes are your thing there isn't a better place to learn and it only cost ten bucks. If coyotes aren't your thing there is still plenty to learn and the scenery can not be beat.

Plans are already being made for 2021.

Steven

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Pictures anyone?

I'll be posting a bunch, I got a few hundred shots.
Posted By: trapperne

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 07:04 PM

A lot greener then I remember it last year

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cattrax

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Pictures anyone?

I'll be posting a bunch, I got a few hundred shots.

Hoped you did, I have a few.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 07:20 PM

Hoped you did, I have a few.

Todd, I got a good one of Joel, that has to be posted!! laugh laugh
Posted By: 20scout

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 08:47 PM

Unfortunately my plans to attend had to be canceled at the last minute. Sure glad all went well and sure plan to attend next year. Looks like a great time was had by all.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 11:18 PM

402 paid through the gate
24-25 Demo presenters ( I don't charge them to attend, obviously)
15 + 'helpers' (I try not to charge people that are there to help pull this off)
6 Graham's

Plus a few people that didn't pay, that I know of

About 450 attended

Demos were very well attended, and the vendors that I talked to were very happy.

As for the green grass, that's because it has an underground sprinkler system.

We've had very little rain this year.

By far the driest I've seen it in the 10 years I've been down here.

Again, thanks to EVERYONE

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/24/20 11:54 PM

John, do you remember roughly what the attendance last year was?

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 12:27 AM

One thing about Coyote Days, It's the only place you can get "one" of these. A treasure to to remind me of good friends!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RickA

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 12:56 AM

Nice Buckle! Now that’s just icing on a pretty great piece of cake. Wish I could have been there.
Rick
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:00 AM

How did Riley's first demo go? I'll bet it went very well.. Hats off to you and your family and all that helped..

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:02 AM

One thing about Coyote Days, It's the only place you can get "one" of these. A treasure to to remind me of good friends!
[Linked Image]

You ended up with the buckle?

I must have been sleeping.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:31 AM

Maybe you were!!
Posted By: CatStacker

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:35 AM

Greg Petska

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

MORE TO COME!

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:40 AM

Kyle Krebs

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:52 AM

Todd Fairchild & Otis Latham

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:56 AM

Jim Arneson

[Linked Image]

Vern Howey

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:02 AM

Chris McAllister

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:05 AM

I visited with Kyle Krebs for a little bit; he told me it was his first demo and that he hadn't done much public speaking. Sure had me fooled, I thought he did a great job and had a lot of good information. Where he traps sounds similar to the farm country around me, just gets a lot colder obviously, so I felt like I got a lot out of what he talked about.

I missed the guy that was out on the SW corner of the building the first day, but got in on everyone else and gleaned a lot of info. ( Chris McAllister)

Probably learned enough to feel like I have a clue on putting up some coyotes this winter if I have time, rather than selling in the round.'

After getting to visit with Lee some I think that I'm going to have to get a Death Ray headed my way soon, too.

The round table was sure a good deal as well.

I won't make it every year, but I sure plan to go again sometime.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:10 AM

Keith Gregerson

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:20 AM

Thanks for posting pictures!

Thanks you for buying the buckle, Todd

Riley didn't give a demo, school started on Wed. and Saturday was WAY too busy to pull it all off. Maybe next year.

Next Year....

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:34 AM

Pledge of Allegiance & National Anthem

[Linked Image]

Pete Mallette - Pledge

[Linked Image]

Pete Mallette - Anthem

[Linked Image]

John Graham - Opening introduction

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:39 AM

Pete is one of the finest anthem singers I have had the pleasure to hear.
A number of fine young men have cut their teeth in the demo world at this event. Each has overcome the fears and impressed even us seasoned veterans. Hope this tradition continues!!

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:39 AM

Richard Edwards & Dale Greenough

[Linked Image]

Richard Edwards

[Linked Image]

Richard Edwards

[Linked Image]

Dale Greenough

[Linked Image]

Dale Greenough

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:43 AM

Colten Gillum

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:49 AM

Day 2 Pledge of Allegiance & National Anthem

[Linked Image]

Pete Mallette

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:51 AM

Day 2 Opening Introduction - John Graham

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:58 AM

Roc Lee

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ttzt

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by oneeyedtrapper
[Linked Image]

The only people picture I took this weekend. This guy had his helpers with him!

Great get together. Unbelievable the amount of knowledge that was freely shared. Thanks John for organizing this.

I have had the privilege of seeing every demo for the last 4 years and this was my favorite moment ever.

As always, the guys giving the demos each did a tremendous job. Many do not think that they can talk for an hour, but I do not think we have had anybody finish early more that 2 or 3 times in 4 years.The amount of information shared is truly amazing. Thank you to all the demo guys.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 03:01 AM

I was able to sneak in, one blurry picture of CATTRAX.....

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 03:20 AM

Mark "Zagman" Zagger

"Pretend this is a small clump of grass!"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The infamous "Pipe" for the, "Pipe Dream Set."
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 03:26 AM

I'll get more pictures posted tomorrow.....
Posted By: red mt

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by CatStacker

Todd Fairchild & Otis Latham

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good picticture.
You would thought they were younger looking lol

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 09:24 AM

[Linked Image]

First time I ever won a raffle. Been wanting a bear trap. I entered as the money was for a kids shooting program. What could be better to keep our right to be armed than getting kids in shooting programs?
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 12:37 PM

Looks like another great with with a pile of good folks. Danny, that’s cool as heck. Glad you walked away with something. Gonna try n make it out for sure next year if I can avoid having anymore summer time babies lol.
Posted By: Kyle Krebs

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 12:52 PM

This was the first time I did a demo in front of a large crowd. I did one in front of bout 20 people a few years back but that's the extent of my public speaking. I had a speech teacher in highschool tell me I had a gift, but I never really believed him. Haha I'm kinda glad John persuaded me into doing it. I had tons of people come up and talk to to me and compliment me through out the weekend. Just proof that trappers are the nicest group around! It was a great weekend. I wish I could have attended more but my kids needed naps and we just had to go swimming! Haha

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Krebs
This was the first time I did a demo in front of a large crowd. I did one in front of bout 20 people a few years back but that's the extent of my public speaking. I had a speech teacher in highschool tell me I had a gift, but I never really believed him. Haha I'm kinda glad John persuaded me into doing it. I had tons of people come up and talk to to me and compliment me through out the weekend. Just proof that trappers are the nicest group around! It was a great weekend. I wish I could have attended more but my kids needed naps and we just had to go swimming! Haha

Like skinning coyotes, doing demos gets easier after your first 100 or so! LOL

I watched your entire demo and you seemed very comfortable and natural....PROOF that you know the subject matter and that you can, therefore, convey your thoughts in a logical, confident matter........I'd have guessed you've done many many demos!

Honest!

MZ

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:18 PM

It was nice to meet you Kyle. I was at my booth while you were doing your demo and missed it, but could tell you are a wonderful father and family man by the way you take care of the kids! Enjoyed chatting with you several times. I agree with Mark, It's easy to talk about things you know about and comfortable with. Look forward to seeing you next year!
Posted By: KJD357

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 01:26 PM

It’s awesome you got the bear trap Danny, couldn’t have gone to a nicer guy. And Kyle, I thought your demo was awesome, at least what I got to see of it, my kids were kinda hard to contain there as well lol. Everyone there was great.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 02:36 PM

Anyone that doesn't think it's hard giving a good bobcat demo needs to just look at how one of the best has to study up before his demo!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Krebs

You did great. Really enjoyed your demo

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 03:11 PM

And the one that gets it done, no way John could pull this off without Nicole, she was about everywhere this past weekend!

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 03:12 PM

Here's a shot of the coat that John and Nicole gave Miss rodeo Wyoming.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cattrax
Anyone that doesn't think it's hard giving a good bobcat demo needs to just look at how one of the best has to study up before his demo!!!

I see you got one of Joel in his natural habitat.

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 11:27 PM

Evan Anderson

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 11:35 PM

Boone Liane

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 11:43 PM

Keith Gregerson's "Mini Mall"

[Linked Image]

Dan Hartman

[Linked Image]

Bill Ilchick

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 11:49 PM

Major Boddicker

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/25/20 11:55 PM

Justin Lemke

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 01:22 AM

It's encouraging to see some young presenters.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 01:31 AM

It's encouraging to see some young presenters.

yes it most certainly is.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 03:03 AM

Scott Huber

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 03:19 AM

A question about Scott Huber ....Anyone know if he is related to "Lonnie Huber" of South Dakota, who wrote the snare book "Modern Professional Snare Methods for Fox, Coyote 'Coon" circa 1981?

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 01:15 PM

Michael I believe it's his Dad.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 01:23 PM

No
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 01:28 PM

Okay thanks Mike & John, I thought with the same last name, and both living in South Dakota they could have been related.

Probably lots of Huber's there.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 02:27 PM

I knew Lonnie back in the eightys, used to come to the conventions all the time. Was a driven trapper back then, young go getter! (like all of us). Last time I saw him was at a national in Ia, I think, and he was having health issues.

Scott, I met at Glen Sterling's funeral service. Never heard a connection between the two.
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 06:15 PM

Thanks for all the pics. I enjoyed them.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/26/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
A question about Scott Huber ....Anyone know if he is related to "Lonnie Huber" of South Dakota, who wrote the snare book "Modern Professional Snare Methods for Fox, Coyote 'Coon" circa 1981?

Lonnie use to always have a booth at s.d. trappers association fall convention, he was a very good snare man.
I was pretty young and think back on it i bugged him more than i should have.
But he was always good to me, pretty sure i have his snare book around somewhere. He lived down by yankton s.d.

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/27/20 02:44 AM

Saturday Night Banquet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Auction & Raffle Items

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Miss Rodeo Wyoming, Rachel Derner

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/27/20 02:48 AM

Fur Fashion Show

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/27/20 02:52 AM

Fur Fashion Show continued...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/27/20 03:04 AM

More Fur Fashion Show

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 08/27/20 05:07 PM

I'll Get more on as I get time, I have some that I better not share! laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This was Friday mornings crowd, it was much bigger Saturday morning.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Miss Rodeo Wyoming showing off the beautiful coat the Grahams bought her.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS - 09/01/20 01:25 AM

Thanks for posting all the pictures!

Again, with all the uncertainty in the world, and the fur market as a whole, we appreciate everyone that made the trip and was part of Coyote Days 2020!

There IS a market for Western coyotes, and Heavy Eastern coyotes. I hope everyone that attended this event can use the info to your benefit. You are among the most informed, and up to date coyote men in the country!

Thanks, John
© 2024 Trapperman Forums