Home

Whats the deal with Rhode Island?

Posted By: Hutchy

Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:19 PM

I never hear about it in the news, never hear of anyone from there. I know nothing about it.

Heck the only reason you know it exists is from the Miss America pageants.

Whats its deal? Industry? Trapping there? Anything to shoot/fish for?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:24 PM

we took it from Canada in the war of 1812. grin
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:27 PM

Avoid P town......... confused

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
we took it from Canada in the war of 1812. grin

Oh go away.

grin
Posted By: run

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:33 PM

I remember reading about a goat farm in Rhode island. There's a Tim Hortons in Westerly, Rhode island. What else do you need, Hutchy?

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by run
I remember reading about a goat farm in Rhode island. There's a Tim Hortons in Westerly, Rhode island. What else do you need, Hutchy?

If that's the best anyone has got I guess nothing really.

Big win to have a Tims though
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:37 PM

Rhode island business

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

Now I know why I dont hear about RI.

The "businessmen" there never talk
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:43 PM

Addieville East Farm, very good sporting clays facilty. They have game birds, never shot any there. I have had some really good fishing trips off the coast, strippers, blues, sea bass, tautog, and fluke.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paul D. Heppner
Addieville East Farm, very good sporting clays facilty. They have game birds, never shot any there. I have had some really good fishing trips off the coast, strippers, blues, sea bass, tautog, and fluke.

I assume its pretty populated as a whole eh? Like, little hunting outside of what I assume are planted game birds?
Posted By: cotton

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:49 PM

Use to ride my bike to the beach and fish when lived there. Pretty sure ya can't trap there tho.
Saw my first dead deer hanging on a porch post at the navy housing we lived in.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:52 PM

what kinda goats--askin for a friend. grin
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:53 PM

Been there, it does exist. Some really great food and home of the Rhode Island Red chicken. I've even been to the Red monument, twice. Some places have Tim Horton's across the street from each other and seldom more than a block apart. Best cell phone service ever. Most of the residents stay pretty close to home. Had one ask the best way to get to the interstate, only 9 miles away, had never went that far before. Mike

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:55 PM

Dairy goat's. I have been to Rhode Island as well.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by MikeC
Been there, it does exist. Some really great food and home of the Rhode Island Red chicken. I've even been to the Red monument, twice. Some places have Tim Horton's across the street from each other and seldom more than a block apart. Best cell phone service ever. Most of the residents stay pretty close to home. Had one ask the best way to get to the interstate, only 9 miles away, had never went that far before. Mike

Wow.

I couldn't imagine this. I look at all the places, overseas, other cities etc I have been in the past year. Tough to imagine.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 05:58 PM

Your friend have a beard by any chance?
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 06:06 PM

Pretty sure ya can't trap there tho.

I immediately thought of this just due to "North Woods Law", the t.v show.

Trapping R.I
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 06:09 PM

Never hunted there. It does seem to have a far amount of cover for critters. There are an awful lot of people around Providence, like a lot. Pretty busy city though I have never had an issue getting thru it on my way to and from Westport Mass. Lots of history in the area.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 06:11 PM

As per the Rhode Island Fish and Wildlife website, foothold traps and snares are not allowed but bodygrips up to a certain size are allowed.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 06:22 PM

Wife wants to go to New York at some point. I mean..not any time soon...but sometime. Might swing up there and see what all the fuss (or lack of fuss) is all about.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 06:31 PM

R I is only noted in election years.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hutchy
Wife wants to go to New York at some point. I mean..not any time soon...but sometime. Might swing up there and see what all the fuss (or lack of fuss) is all about.

Good luck. In the future, I doubt you will have the police to protect you if you need them.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper

Good luck. In the future, I doubt you will have the police to protect you if you need them.

Ya. You gotta question the motives of people who want the police disbanded
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 07:03 PM

Reading about Rhode Island just now reminded me a bit of when I recently read a little about your Prince Edward Island. It seemed like a long ways when you were walking!!!

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by cohunt
Reading about Rhode Island just now reminded me a bit of when I recently read a little about your Prince Edward Island. It seemed like a long ways when you were walking!!!

lol. Jim, most of Canada seems like a long way with just about any travel method!
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 07:47 PM

Drove across R.I. a couple times in a big truck took about 20 minutes if I remember lol.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 08:46 PM

and it ain't an ISLAND
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 09:11 PM

They talk funny and no one likes them.Only reason anyone knows there even is a Rhode Island is because of the movie "Me Myselfe and Irene" grin

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
They talk funny and no one likes them.Only reason anyone knows there even is a Rhode Island is because of the movie "Me Myselfe and Irene" grin

Right? Pageants, voting time, that movie, and Family Guy are literally the only times I even hear the name Rhode Island
Posted By: James

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 11:05 PM

Rhode Island exists only in an alternate universe. You have to hit the gateway just right to pass through.

Jim

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 11:07 PM

LOL.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 11:41 PM

I've only heard about it a few times but I did have an old friend stop to see me and he insisted he had been there.
He swore up and down that it was almost as big as my back yard but I have known him to exaggerate before LOL
Posted By: coyote44

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/05/20 11:43 PM

There isn't much in Rhode Island except a bunch of liberal democrats
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 12:20 AM

"Family Guy". That's enough reason for me to believe that it actually exists and needs to remain as such.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 12:22 AM

Petoria's the capital right??
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 12:34 AM

and it ain't an ISLAND

But you have heard of taking a Rhode trip, right? Silly boy.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 12:36 AM

guess i'm no Rhode scholar. grin
Posted By: adam m

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 01:23 AM

I have some friends from RI. My daughter and their daughter were getting cancer treatment in NYC. The dad was a logger there abs would come to NYC for a few days go log a few days. The daughter lost her battle a few years back.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 01:31 AM

Well part of it is an island, the official name of the state is Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations. Don't ask me why but I know about the state than is good for me. Mike
Posted By: Boco

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 02:55 AM

Make sure you eat some chicken when you go there Hutchy.
Rhode Island Red.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 03:26 AM

Forget it Hutchy,

Canadians aren't allowed in Rhode Island.

That BOCO Guy spent a weekend there

molesting Pygmy Goats and Rhode Island Reds

and they haven't allowed Canadians to visit since !! shocked

w
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 05:03 AM

There is a ranch in Texas bigger than that state.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 10:17 AM

do they have good bacon there??

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 10:22 AM

There's a park on the border of Anchorage that is bigger than Rhode Island.

Shot a sheep back there.

Jim

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 10:33 AM

what kinda sheep??

asking for a friend.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 10:37 AM

Dall's sheep.

Only species of wild mountain sheep in Alaska.

Jim

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 11:01 AM

We also have glaciers and ice fields larger than Delaware.

Jim
Posted By: hippie

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 11:17 AM

My daughter likes to visit Newport Ri and around the New England area. I've been thru there a good bit but never stopped to gad around.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 11:19 AM

As for RI ,it was part of MA at one time then Roger Williams broke away from the puritans in colonial times because of religion, it is the smallest state in the union. It take about 1 1/2 hours to cross the state.The city of Woonscocket was the one of the main city during WW2 for building for the war , also the city is full of French Canadians because of they migrated there when times was bad in the and before the 1920's .Yes you are limited to the use of only body grip traps. The state is know for Newport for the use to be high class people and well know use to live I do not know if still is. Also use to be know for its beaches of the ocean . Also have a naval base in Newport.It is a democrat state always was. use to have some breweries of beer. The city of Providence is the capital also is run by the mob, First it was the Italian then after they got take out I was told the Russians are there now . there is some places to hunt and fish. Need to look around , it got worst since I left the area since I was brought up over the boarder in MA .use to go in RI all the time back then . I also use to sell my furs to a fur buyer in RI in North Smithfield. That was many years ago.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 11:35 AM

One of the original 13 colonies, the full name is Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. Of course the smallest state has the longest name. The " Rhode" part was supposedly after Rhodes Island in Greece because some thought the eastern part resembled that place. Although very small and a haven for liberals and the mafia, Rhode Island has an interesting colonial history in regard to religious freedom which led to the protections afforded in the US Constitution.

The south county areas have very nice ocean beaches although the water is cold. Bristol is quite interesting and I saw the tall ships there decades ago. Bristol also used to host some major yacht races, maybe still does. Seafood is abundant.

Back in the 1960's the western part of the state had a lot of small farms and you could get permission to shoot groundhogs. Now it's almost all subdivisions.

One of the domestic nuclear criticality accidents occurred at Wood River Junction in 1964, resulting in a fatal radiation exposure to one person.

Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MikeC

Kinda like NH! Pretty place but too many people, like all the east! I worked in Berlin NH thirty years ago. Hired some locals to help me get the job done, and few in that town had been farther away than the roundy rounnd race track about fifteen miles west of town. They all ask me the same question when they found out where I was from, "do you still have Indians and buffalo running around out there"? My standard answer was, "Good lord, it's the twentieth century, where have you been"! lol
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 12:30 PM

Where the Rhode Island red chickens came from.... grin

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 03:01 PM

Petoria's the capital right??

You get it.

Giggity
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 03:19 PM

I spent about a month there for a school back in 2017. I was in Newport, which is a resort town. Providence and Newport have a pretty high population densities. That being said, once you got out of the cities it seemed to contain a fair amount of woods and small farms. Kind of a pretty state overall. Excellent fishing there. I was also surprised at the amount of public hunting areas found around the state, some pretty large.

In August of this year I am supposed to be transferring up there. I guess I will be able to tell you guys all about it.

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron Kelsey
I spent about a month there for a school back in 2017. I was in Newport, which is a resort town. Providence and Newport have a pretty high population densities. That being said, once you got out of the cities it seemed to contain a fair amount of woods and small farms. Kind of a pretty state overall. Excellent fishing there. I was also surprised at the amount of public hunting areas found around the state, some pretty large.
In August of this year I am supposed to be transferring up there. I guess I will be able to tell you guys all about it.

there gun laws are not good like it is in MA and CT .

Re: Whats the deal with Rhode Island? - 06/06/20 03:58 PM

Al Capone , his control was in RI and MA from Chicago back in the 20's till he got in prison , that is how the mafia is out there then and Whitey Bulger use to run the mod in RI and MA, He ran Raymond L.S. Patriarca and Jr out ,by rat them out to the feds. Just to give a idea for how it was at the time ,when I was out there .and my relatives told me about.and went to school that some of the kids of the mod went to. .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums