Home

Made Some Rod Pods

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Made Some Rod Pods - 06/06/20 03:20 AM

Saw alot of the carp guys using rod pods when they do their multi day tournaments so they can let there rods soak while they sleep and what not a figured it would be a good idea for being able to get away from gnats. Basically a rod pod is a fancy rod hold that can hold anywhere from 1-6 rods. The nice ones can tilt piviot collapse sit on concrete docks and so on. As well as holding the rods they hold bite alarms properly on the rods. These little alarms are pretty cool because I can connect them to a transmitter and within 100yd if I get a bit it goes of. I can set them so each one makes a different sound ,volume, and sensitivity. They also have a little do thick that put weight on the back side so say the fish pick up the line and runs toward you it's still going to trigger the alarm. Any how the alarms where $75 and the rod pods range from $30-$300 So I just got some PVP and made two for less than $20 grin Only deal is you need to have you rods on a light drag ( which I do regardless). And gotta say it's nice to be able to set these out and so sit 40yd set out of the gnats lol.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Rod Pods - 06/06/20 03:30 AM

looks good

had some carp Jerky this week , it was good

I have looked at the bite alarms but never could justify the cost
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Rod Pods - 06/06/20 11:42 AM

Good job. Where'd all the water in that pond go?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Rod Pods - 06/06/20 12:32 PM

Interesting.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Rod Pods - 06/06/20 12:45 PM

Not legal in my state.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Rod Pods - 06/06/20 01:25 PM

Pretty fancy, Wolfdog! I have used bells while night fishing. My problem with them is I'd sit there thinking "what the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) is that ringing noise?" Usually it was too late before my feeble mind figured it out. Probably be the same with alarms.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Rod Pods - 06/06/20 01:52 PM

When fishing at night with tip ups I just got some mercury switches wired them to small lights. Then I would attach the switch to the tip up arm. Get a bite the flag goes up the switch Is activated and the light goes on.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Rod Pods - 06/06/20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
looks good

Got a recipe? I have some extra carp that I haven't been able to give away.

Cool setup, Wolfie!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Rod Pods - 06/06/20 02:44 PM

When night fishing with regular rods we'd cut a small twig 3-4 inches long. we's cut a small slice in them and hang them on our lines maybe a foot from the tip. When a catty or carp started messing around the twig would bounce a little and give you time to get ready to set the hook.

They didn't help much with the big carp that just sucked up the bait and kept going. All you could do then was make a dive for your rod and hope you got to it before it got yanked in the lake.

Re: Rod Pods - 06/06/20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Bethell
Not legal in my state.

No multiple rods or in attended rods ?

Re: Rod Pods - 06/07/20 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Pretty fancy, Wolfdog! I have used bells while night fishing. My problem with them is I'd sit there thinking "what the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) is that ringing noise?" Usually it was too late before my feeble mind figured it out. Probably be the same with alarms.

Trust me when that transmitter goes off and it's clipped to your side you will know exactly what's going on lol

Re: Rod Pods - 06/07/20 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by MnMan
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
looks good

Got a recipe? I have some extra carp that I haven't been able to give away.

Cool setup, Wolfie!

no I was in Prarie Du Chiene and went to Valley Fish. they had it there

it was cut in small strips , presumably brined then smoked.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Rod Pods - 06/07/20 03:05 AM

Not legal in my state.

What is?!
I have in-laws which live in Pulaski County. It amazes me what laws Springfield expects the residents of Illinois to follow.
Folks that far south follow what they feel like following.

Re: Rod Pods - 06/07/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Not legal in my state.

What is?!
I have in-laws which live in Pulaski County. It amazes me what laws Springfield Chicago expects the residents of Illinois to follow.
Folks that far south follow what they feel like following.
fixed it , don't even think they bother driving to Springfield to vote half the time any more.
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Rod Pods - 06/07/20 06:39 AM

Fished carp tournaments my entire life. I use a setup kinda similar to a pod, but with mine you can spread your rods out as far apart as you want and the fish can’t pull your poles off of mine. If I could post pictures on here, I would post a picture of my setup. I’ve won tens of thousands of dollars fishing in carp tournaments. One of my favorite fish to fish for.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rod Pods - 06/07/20 12:31 PM

Looks good! But you have to carry them in.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Rod Pods - 06/07/20 07:49 PM

Jim Bethell...why aint they legal here? On some lakes they may not be, but overall I see no reason to believe they wouldn't be legal.

Wolfdog, good job as usual. The little bit of carp fishing I do I always try to get my rods as flat as possible, with a lot of slack to let them run a piece before getting the hook set.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums