Home

Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke

Posted By: rags57078

Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 03:11 PM

I would like to buy one . Is there a decent stock one a guy can buy for under $500 , yes I know you get what you pay for but remember not all of us can afford the higher $$ items or want to spend that much . If a guy found a used one what do you need to watch out for ? One last thing I don't plan on burning up 500 rounds a week . PM's are welcome if you prefer

Thanks
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 03:17 PM

Are you only interested in buying a whole gun, or are you interested in building one? 500 dollars can go further if you build your own.
Posted By: rags57078

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Are you only interested in buying a whole gun, or are you interested in building one? 500 dollars can go further if you build your own.

Not real sure on that LOL , I am sure I could build one . I have taken down m16's more than a few times
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 04:41 PM

Whichever way you go, leave room in the budget for mags, ammo, sights (if it doesn't come with them), and a sling.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 04:58 PM

Anderson lower and palmetto state armory upper and lower parts kit ones with a MBUS sight I think that was about $350 the whole gun for $350 that’ll get you a good AR while it’s not a Daniels defense or a f1 firearms it’s a good shooting gun that can serve as a truck gun or a coyote gun or maybe a looter shooter
Posted By: trap master

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 05:06 PM

what will this rifle be used for? are you wanting a real accurate scoped rifle or are you looking for one to defend the homestead where minute of looter accuracy is acceptable. for the price your talking about I think the go to place would be palmetto state armory. I would buy a separate lower and separate upper by doing so you avoid 11% tax on whole firearms. lower will have to ship to FFL of your choosing, upper can be shipped straight to your house. lots of you tube reviews of palmetto products if you wanna check them out. the important thing is, is get one! then stock up on mags.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 05:16 PM

Most AR stocks are under $100

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 05:37 PM

Stripped lower on PSA for $59 this weekend.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Stripped lower on PSA for $59 this weekend.

PSA complete AR's are normally around $450 or less. I picked up a PSA 16" 300 aac for $399 a few months ago locally.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 06:52 PM

Palmetto State Armory. Works in Florida swamps and heat and Alaska tundra and winters. It is accurate enough to kill hundreds of small critters at close and long range. I like mine.
Posted By: hillbillyjake

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 07:16 PM

I must be the only one who's had issues with PSA. Not trying to derail, but tread lightly IMOP.

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 07:23 PM

I moved pile of PSA stuff back in the Barry years never ran into much trouble at all, what issues did you have?
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 09:00 PM

You fellas need to stop talking about ARs or I'm gonna have to build another one.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
You fellas need to stop talking about ARs or I'm gonna have to build another one.

In all fairness if you have built the first one you already got the disease. Blaming someone else is just an excuse for the next one, not the cause. crazy No worries, many of us suffer from this affliction. Maybe someday a support group will be available, for now group therapy with the new AR is the only help. grin
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 09:52 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Got three out of five lynx. First two at 210 yards, third at at ten. 3 shots. Have shot foxes out to 300 yards. PSA. If it isn't a one shot kill, it's my fault, not the gun's, it's super accurate.
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 11:11 PM

Sorry rags, but, I think buying an AR right now is a joke
you might be able to find something just do not expect a big selection
you are not going to find the deals that were offered 6 months ago and even building your own wont be a huge savings
demand is high and inventory is low...even ammo can be a problem

good luck

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/06/20 11:16 PM

Amazing not much is moving in the way of parts right now Build parts are still cheap on gunbroker I’d start there for now.
Posted By: ringtail 60

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/08/20 10:40 PM

PSA had several models of complete rifles available today. None under 500 though.
Posted By: ou812

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/08/20 11:36 PM

Could someone familiar with a build project list all the components needed to successfully assemble a working rifle. Asking for a friend.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/09/20 12:43 AM

Prices have been going up for sure with the virus and now people really don't feel safe with crazy people running around. You waited a month or two long to get rock bottom prices. You might find a good used one, can't hurt them and it's easy to replace a normal wear part.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/09/20 12:47 AM

Just look on Palmetto State Armory's website. You can get a complete kit with an assembled upper and the lower parts kit and the only other thing you need is a stripped AR-15 lower receiver and then some clip on sights or a scope and some magazines.
Originally Posted by ou812
Could someone familiar with a build project list all the components needed to successfully assemble a working rifle. Asking for a friend.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/09/20 01:30 AM

"Asking for a friend"...Classic, Lol grin

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/09/20 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by ou812

Look up a complete ar build kit the parts will be In that if you need the stock and buffer stuff. For just a stripped lower then you need a lower parts kit.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/09/20 02:39 AM

complete lower with a enhanced polished trigger https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-edition-odg-no-magazine-5165457977.html

then I went to look at uppers , yeah the CronApocalypse and riots knind slim pickings at PSA

one option https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022408548?pid=851270

depends on what you want it to be , I like the free float hand guard because I want a shooter that I can really lay rounds in at 400 yards

if your looking for a much closer working gun https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016872351?pid=221905

I think you would have to wait for an election to make buying any worse than it is right now , oh yeah thats in 5 months.

if your looking more basic this https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-carbine-classic-fde-rifle-kit-516446389.html and a 50 dollar Anderson lower from Fleet Farm I think they have those out your way

I prefer mid-lenght gas system but it has been panic buying for 3 months so selection at lower prices is scarce

things to look for on a used . lower dollar used seldom come up for sale from what I have seen but some might , more often the guy who bought a entry level gun then put a pile of upgrades on it and thinks he has a 1000 dollar rifle because that is what he has in it.

no obvious signs of abuse
strong rifling especially in the first 3-4 inches of the barrel
a bolt that shows no signs of major wear and like wise a barrel extension that shows little wear (the bolt locks into the barrel extension not the receiver)
the gas key is tight and screws staked
a mag should insert and drop free when the mag release is pressed
sights if it has them should not be hard one way or the other
when the safety is on the trigger should not fire and when it is disengaged it should fire
with a empty mag in the bolt should lock back , when the bolt release is pressed the bolt should release
if it has always worn a flash suppressor it should have protected the muzzle crown if it is a 1990s barrel with no flash suppressor check the crown.

everything is replaceable it just costs some money
Posted By: martyd

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/09/20 04:46 AM

Sir I have bought many AR15 Guns and put a few together. Many of both that were not accurate. Buy yourself a Rock River Arms.
They are just 1 of a handful AR15 manufactures that guarantee 1 moa out of the box. They run $750.00 to $1000.00 depends on barrel length. Its a match gun , upper and lower from the same company. If it does not shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards with factory ammo send it back. Thats factory ammo. Its a no brainier from a old guy that has owned them all. MD
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Needs some ar advice <-- not a joke - 06/09/20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck

Do it!!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums