Home

For Paul, Tom or anyone else in the know...

Posted By: MChewk

For Paul, Tom or anyone else in the know... - 06/10/20 03:45 PM

Been cleaning out some of my trapping mag.s, books and literature. Pulled out The Species Specific Traps pamphlet that owner designer John Kulish made up. On the back, it mentions that a video was made showing water trapping by some top notch beaver/otter trappers using the Species Specific trap.Paul was wondering IF you ever saw the video or even participated in testing this trap. I'm guessing Claudie Taylor might have helped...but not certain. Anybody in the know?
Posted By: cohunt

Re: For Paul, Tom or anyone else in the know... - 06/10/20 05:12 PM

I do not know about participating in production of a video, BUT for sure Walter(Buck) Follis and Jerry Johnson of Nothwestern Wisconsin were involved with him in testing the beaver sized trap.

Re: For Paul, Tom or anyone else in the know... - 06/10/20 09:38 PM

Thanks Cohunt...I remember talking with him and he mentioned Claudie and other beaver otter men.
Was hoping maybe Paul or Tom Olson maybe others knew about the video.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: For Paul, Tom or anyone else in the know... - 06/10/20 09:46 PM

I didn't do any testing of those traps. I did purchase a dozen of them, but sold them after the first year I used them. Back when otters were high, I didn't otter proof my beaver sets, so I picked up quite a few otters. The problem I had with those traps was that the female otters could pull themselves through the gap if they were caught far back. Males couldn't escape because I assume their penis prevented them from getting through. I figured that out when I found a couple female otters dead not too far from the torn up area where the fired traps were. I guess they hurt themselves when they fought the trap that hard. It wasn't long after that when I figured out how to adjust the triggers on the body grips to keep from catching them too far back.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: For Paul, Tom or anyone else in the know... - 06/24/20 11:30 PM

Never did see the video.I did become a distributor for the traps. I still have several in my personal arsenal.
Tom

Re: For Paul, Tom or anyone else in the know... - 06/25/20 12:10 AM

Thanks guys...does anyone else have any info on this video? Maybe it was never made?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums