Home

otter killing flatheads?

Posted By: danny clifton

otter killing flatheads? - 06/13/20 10:07 PM

Seems like flathead catch is slowing around here. Started about the time otter began showing up. Otter are EVERYWHERE in E. Kansas now. Not an animal I have much experience with. Are they killing flatheads while they are on the nest?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/13/20 10:09 PM

My guess is otter could kill any fish they want to, any time of year. They are a cool aminal, but a little bit goes a long ways. They are destructive.
Creek chubs and bluegill/sunfish here in the crick has dropped bad the last 5 yrs. We have lots of otter.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/13/20 11:17 PM

otter more evil than cheeto man.

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/13/20 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

it's a toss-up
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 12:01 AM

Same thing happened her after otter introduction. Flatheads travel up the river during high water and get stranded in pools when it goes down some. Before the otter no biggy they just head back to the lake when the water comes back up. After the otter came they died in the pools during low water. It is amazing how big a fish otter or group of otters can kill.
I was a serious flathead trotliner during this time. The bigger male flatheads took a big hit when the water levels were wrong for them. They haven’t recovered 50lb plus fish are getting harder to come by every year. Smaller fish can navigate shallow water much better.
I caught my limit of five otter in a feeder creek that dumps into our river in 6 nights with only three traps. We have otter everywhere. Coyotes of the water.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 02:03 AM

Yes, and the information highway has created more flathead fishermen.

There are more good fishermen, than fish now.

On a positive note it looks like NE got a new state record for rod n reel, at 89lbs.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 02:08 AM

I have channel in my pond, and others as well, this winter I had an otter come into my pond, and start killing my channel. It would only eat the fish from the ribs back. I do not like otters at all!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 02:09 AM

[quote=Marty BOn a positive note it looks like NE got a new state record for rod n reel, at 89lbs.[/quote]
Nice
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 02:36 AM

I forgot to mention that I'm at least 6 miles from the nearest river!

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 02:52 AM

They don't mind cricks either.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2

confused

Fun to chase !!! ie trap!!!
Posted By: Matt28

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 03:24 PM

whats the biggest fish that anyone has found that a otter has eat? I found a flathead that would have weighted over 20. Only thing left was the backbone and head. I caught a big male otter a day later that was 30 pounds. I have always wondered if he killed that fish him self or had help.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 03:55 PM

Years ago when I went to a pond I was ice fishing that the otters had pop a hole on the edge of the ice where there is brush and ate some catfish and all is left is the head.
Posted By: warrior

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 04:29 PM

Coons can take out catfish as well. Many times I've pulled up to limb lines to find the line pulled up onto the limb with just bones left.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: otter killing flatheads? - 06/14/20 04:35 PM

I know they eat turtles. I watched a family of 6 otters take turns diving off a root ball and catching pond sliders. They would eat off the legs and the heads and go get another one.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums