Home

Aggressive Puppy

Posted By: yotetrapper30

Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 01:30 AM

Has anyone ever seen a 8 week old puppy be flat out aggressive towards people? I got this puppy only 5 days ago. It's a redbone. She's a nice pup in every other way... playful, into everything, but stubborn. The only time she's shown aggression is when you try to take something from her that she doesn't want you to take. And then it's only when it's something she REALLY doesn't want you to take... as I spend all day long taking things from her and she only does this now and then.

So this happened about 10 minutes ago (it's not the first instance, there's been at least half a dozen more but this one was the most intense). She grabbed a paper towel that had fallen from the table onto the floor and packed it over to the towel she sleeps on and proceeded to tear it up. So I go over there and grab the big piece of paper towel and she still has a piece maybe 3" in diameter, I go to take it from her mouth and won't let go so I open her mouth and take it... and as soon as I do she was growling, snarling, and snapping at me. This is definitely not playing.

Obviously I won't have a dog that is aggressive to humans. Any suggestions on how to nip this in the bud NOW? I've never heard of a puppy that young being mean that way.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 01:42 AM

Pup needs to get a understanding on who the alpha female is!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 01:43 AM

Show the puppy who is boss
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Scout1
Pup needs to get a understanding on who the alpha female is!

X2
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 01:58 AM

The way my Mrs handled an aggressive pitbull pup years ago was show her who is the boss, the pup pulled pretty much the same stunt as what your's did.... my Mrs snacked the crap out of the pup... she turned out to be a great dog, and very well minded too... sometimes it takes a little tough love..
Posted By: fossil2

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 02:00 AM

you might try just pinning her to the ground or floor, and holding her there til she accepts that youre in charge. when she gets aggressive, do this immediately. since shes so young, she shouldnt be too hard to break of this habit. good luck. also, i hope the healing is progressing quickly.
Posted By: James

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 02:08 AM

For dogs, lying on the back and exposing the belly is how to show submission.

You can make her assume this position by rolling her over on her back and holding her down. Her position should convince her you're the boss.

Jim
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 02:18 AM

You may have to allow her to fulfill her mission in life.......hunt bear

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
You may have to allow her to fulfill her mission in life.......hunt bear

grin I think she could whup a 2x coon right now, LOL.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 02:39 AM

Some dogs are plain nuts nothing you can do.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 02:48 AM

I have had a number of male Labs in my life. A couple of them, when they were around a year old, decided they growl at me when I was training/and/or disciplining them. I immediately grabbed them and put them on their back and bit them hard on the throat, growling and snarling myself all the time. I came up spitting hair but neither of those dogs ever growled at me again.

Forgot to add...I agree with Law Dog that there are crazy dogs in this world.

Moosetrot
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 03:05 AM

Good to hear your up and about.
I got to meet you and Drifter at a trapper convention some where in Illinois before you moved south.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by James
For dogs, lying on the back and exposing the belly is how to show submission.

You can make her assume this position by rolling her over on her back and holding her down. Her position should convince her you're the boss.

Jim

Do this and at the same time growl and snarl shaking her, don’t need to shake the pup really hard just enough to let it know you alpha when it gives up continue briefly and then let it go and ingnore it for a good while which is important, don’t go making baby noises or petting it or your just going to confuse it

Might have to do it a couple times before it gets it into its head that your boss

Some dogs never do giv up but thankfully there rare because there is only one thing to do unless you ok with having a dangerous animal around
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 03:33 AM

A redbone, is a aggressive breed. You need to train her early. What are you going to use her for.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 03:44 AM

Good Information

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
She's small enough still if you grab her by the back of the neck. And pick her up off the ground she should instantly
Submit to you. Watch for face barking around other dogs All So. This results in fights at the tree.

She definitely doesn't like being picked up by the back of the neck. But once you set her down she'll do the same thing again 30 seconds later.

Originally Posted by Gator Foot
A redbone, is a aggressive breed. You need to train her early. What are you going to use her for.

I've had several redbones but none that were aggressive. Just coon hunting.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
I have had a number of male Labs in my life. A couple of them, when they were around a year old, decided they growl at me when I was training/and/or disciplining them. I immediately grabbed them and put them on their back and bit them hard on the throat, growling and snarling myself all the time. I came up spitting hair but neither of those dogs ever growled at me again.

Moosetrot

After what you described, it maybe the pot calling the kettle black when u speak of crazy dogs. Lol
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 01:09 PM

I've raised and trained male labs all my life. Some were aggressive when young. I agree with everyone saying you have to show her who is boss and flipping them on their backs then holding them there until they submit is an excellent way of doing that.

My first step is always just a stern "NO" command. Sometimes that is enough for a dog willing to please and/or not too aggressive. It doesn't sound like that will be enough in your case.

Cuffs up side the head with varying amounts of force are a good lesson on who's the boss and things not to be done is and is usually my second step.

Flipping and holding is the third step up and if they still don't get it, you might have to go all "Moosetrot" on her.

I've rarely needed or used a E-collar with my labs and it is not an option for your pup being so young and small but my current hard-headed, aggressive, super-hunter requires one.

Finally, I agree with LawDog, Some dogs you just can't reach.

Good luck and let us know how things progress.

Posted By: Catch22

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 01:30 PM

Moosetrot

Hahahahahahaha, I swear that's one of the funniest posts I've seen in a long time. From here on out if anyone say's I had to go full on Moosey on'em, we'll know it got ugly and done lol. Lug summed it up perfectly.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 02:06 PM

Do you have kids around? We used to have a red heeler that had food aggresion and would snap at the kids face also. If he knew you were the boss, he was fine, bit if he thought he could walk all over you, he would. Our youngest was barely two at the time, and he growled at her once when she stuck her hand in his food dish. Not knowing any better, she took his bone and cracked him over the nose so hard that his snout was tender for a couple days afterwards. After that she could hand feed him and take his food away whenever she wanted, with no problems. The other kids were afraid and I couldn't get them to be tough with him, so we had to get rid of him. He's a good dog where he is now, he's a chicken herder and doesn't have to deal with kids.

Our new red heeler is just as stubborn, but he's not aggressive at all. He'll still walk all over you if you're not the boss, but for him that just means jumping on the furniture and licking you and herding you.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 02:30 PM

The dog is dominant. Sounds like a good dog.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 03:14 PM

Inbreeding causes a lot of problems and a lot of coon hounds have been inbred ,My wife says it growls bite the tip on the dogs ear that will end it
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 03:25 PM

Moosetrot

Moosy.....I can just picture you with the GB thong on....Jumping from the top rope...landing on that dog and biting his throat...to end the match !!
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 03:41 PM

Might be a new career for me!

grin
Moosetrot
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 04:10 PM

Send Moosetrot to St. Paul, he'll fix them good and proper !!! grin~~~Moosetrot for president!!! cool
Dennis

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 11:38 PM

Well I've pretty much tried all the ideas on here before I posted this, short of going full Moosetrot on her.

Last night when she had the paper towels, I picked her up by the scruff of the neck, shook her a bit, and threw her in her crate and locked her in for an hour or so.

So far today there has been no issues, but I don't think it's over yet.

Thanks for all the replies.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/14/20 11:43 PM

Whats always worked best for us was the putting them on their back while holding their chest till they submitted. We increased intensity till they got the point
Posted By: scotiantrapper

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/15/20 12:12 AM

These guys have it down pat, keep us updated on how it goes
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/15/20 03:37 AM

Probably estrogen poisoning

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/15/20 04:25 AM

Where's Savell when you need a good slap tamer anyways?
Posted By: Wife

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/15/20 12:14 PM

When she shows a "bad act" flip her on her back, grab her throat and pin her down with your hand while repeating the word NO in a firm and raised voice tone. Discipline (for your's and the dog's well being) must be administered any and every time the animal shows misbehavior when young. Animals gain and show respect to authority and your reward of praise as she gets older, will guide and keep her in boundaries. Have raised a lot of hounds in past 51 years and you have to remember that they (hounds) are the remedial students of the dog world so they are a little slow in the brain dept. That's OK as you are merely the chauffeur and the executioner and they do the hunting. Basically there are two commands that a hound MUST be taught. The meaning of words COME and NO. Like people there are mild mannered children and precocious children so goes the animal world. Unfortunately the Dr Spock method of raising young, rarely if ever, works on critters as they have different rules they live by................................. the mike
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/15/20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wife
they (hounds) are the remedial students of the dog world

laugh
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Aggressive Puppy - 06/15/20 02:54 PM

Agree with what fossil2 and James said. Took my mountain cur pup to training and this is one of the things taught for correction. Also, every time the pup would bite, the trainer said to place your hand over the end of the dogs mouth with thumb over the top of the nose and fingers on bottom of the edge of the dogs mouth, close it’s mouth and squeeze to it yelps a little. However, there is a slight trick to doing this and it’s best to have a trainer show you how to do this technique. It worked and the dog no longer bites or snaps. It did not make the dog more aggressive and showed it I was boss.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums