Home

Gallbladder Surgery?

Posted By: GaTurkeyHunter

Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 02:55 AM

Looks like I may need to have my gallbladder removed. Had a scan done that said my gallbladder was only functioning at 24%.

Who has had theirs removed? Any longterm problems?
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 03:01 AM

Wife had hers removed six months ago. Same day surgery - she had 4 small incisions where they inserted the tubes and basically sucked it out. She was out and home 4 hours after taking her to the hospital. Doc told her she would have to modify her diet, ease up on the greasy foods but no real side effects and she feels a lot better these days. Good luck.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Deerhunter51
Wife had hers removed six months ago. Same day surgery - she had 4 small incisions where they inserted the tubes and basically sucked it out. She was out and home 4 hours after taking her to the hospital. Doc told her she would have to modify her diet, ease up on the greasy foods but no real side effects and she feels a lot better these days. Good luck.

Same thing with my wife. Really greasy food bothers her now but other than that she’s good. Got along great after surgery. My mom had hers taken out last week she seems to be getting along good
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 03:04 AM

Born without one. Wouldnt know if ive ever had any problems or not.

Doc told me 1 in 10 thousand born without a gall bladder.
Posted By: Wiz

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 03:13 AM

Had mine out in September 2018. All laparoscopic and in and out in a few hours. A little minor discomfort sitting up for a few days. Worst part was the first number 2 after about 3 day. Could have swore I gave birth.

Everything has been good since. Really haven't had any bad reactions to any foods other than eating too much bacon one morning.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 03:18 AM

Had mine removed 16 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Mine got the bad and I was in the hospital 5 days before they would operate. No effects on my diet. Life much better without the pain.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 03:20 AM

I had mine taken out. No side effects at all. And the pains I got off and on for the last 15 years are gone. One doc said it needed to go.... another said he sees nothing wrong. Out it went and problems went too. My buddy had lots of pain off and on for 10 years or so. The doc's kept telling him his gallbladder was fine. But after they finally took it out the pains went away. Only for him he has to hit the restrooms sometime shortly after he eats. Me.... no problems.
Posted By: Team V

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 03:32 AM

Had mine removed 5 years ago no problems and now I can eat food that use to make me sick . Like eggs and salmon and bacon and pork and you get it .
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 11:59 AM

Had mine removed about 5 years ago, don't recall any problems or discomfort from the surgery. I was experiencing pain on my right side at the bottom of my rib cage when I walked a long distance, was told to have my gall bladder removed so I did. Turns out that did not end the discomfort so I guess it wasn't my gall bladder causing it.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 07:26 PM

Had mine out about 8 years. My diet hasn't changed, but my body's reaction to it sure has. For example, if I eat bacon in the morning I'm miserable all day. Probably take two hands to count trips to the bathroom. In the evening it's fine. Really any fatty/greasy food can cause issues, but bacon is the worst. Peppermint oil capsules have been a life changer for me. They really calm things down, for me at least.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 07:33 PM

Years ago, it was a major surgery with a pretty long recovery period. But now, with the laparoscopy equipment they use, it's a totally different procedure that is short recovery time.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 08:20 PM

had mine done 23 yrs ago
walk in the park
4 lil slits, 2 for air in/out, 1 for scope/light, 1 for sharpened stainless straw that cuts/sucks it outa you.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 10:26 PM

had mine out year's ago , no problem , eat anything an everything smile I want
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 10:50 PM

Had mine out 7 or 8 years ago. Was supposed to go home the same day but had a complication from the anesthesia and spent one night. The surgery was a piece of cake. I was supposed to stay home for a week but 3 days in I got bored and we took a trip to Walmart. I walked around the store slowly holding onto a cart and after about 15 minutes had worn myself out and went back home.

Ended up with three tiny holes.

The only long term effect - I can't eat a lot of grease. That's okay, I shouldn't eat a lot of grease. A little is fine. If I eat a lot, it puts me in the bathroom half an hour later. A burger is fine. A double burger with extra cheese and a pile of bacon doesn't agree with me any more.

But most importantly, getting it out made a big difference in how I feel. I was getting awful attacks of pain in the middle of the night. I would kneel on the floor in front of the couch with my head on the seat and wait for the pain to end. That lasted a few years. I don't know why it took my doctor so long to diagnose the problem. I have since found a new doctor. The surgeon told me my gull bladder was "extremely diseased" after he had a look at it close and in person. He said it needed to come out years earlier.
Posted By: cci

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/15/20 11:53 PM

had mine out about six months ago. was full of stones and infected. feel like a million bucks now. felt better the next day.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Gallbladder Surgery? - 06/16/20 02:50 AM

Had mine out 8 to 10 years ago. I eat about anything I want no problems. Back to work within a week or so.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums