Home

Covid and Alaska Travel

Posted By: panaxman

Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/16/20 10:16 PM

My wife and I are headed to SE AK ( Prince of Wales Island area) We are getting Covid tests prior to departing. Im hearing that if we stay more than 7 days, we need to take another Covid test before leaving AK. Can any of you Pacific Northwest and AK guys shed some light on this?
Posted By: SE.Current

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/16/20 10:53 PM

Not too sure on the testing requirements but the tests are available at Ketchikan airport when you arrive or depart. We just got five new cases traveling thru the airport from KTN to POW so who knows what’ll happen
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/16/20 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by panaxman
... hearing that if we stay more than 7 days, we need to take another Covid test before leaving AK.

I've not heard that. Google Alaska Mandate #10 to read it yourself.

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/16/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by SE.Current
We just got five new cases traveling thru the airport from KTN to POW

Seafood industry workers?

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/16/20 11:09 PM

Could be. Most of the Seafood processing plants built fence around their property and are keeping the workers on-site. Still seeing a lot of new faces around town and some shops are opening up even without the cruise ships
Posted By: flowingwater72

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/16/20 11:31 PM

and people wonder why the cases are going up hear. sounds like to me you are a selfish person traveling with the virus still going around..... but it cant happen to me right? there is no way i will spread it? stay in PA we dont want you hear the tourism is all ready tanked we dont want or need you hear or any other out of stater. it is people like you is why this pandemic wont go away for a while...... stay home
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/16/20 11:43 PM

lighten up Sally
Posted By: waggler

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/16/20 11:57 PM

^^^^^^^
X2
The current mandate is a little hard to comply with, but it is possible.
You must be tested as negative within 72 hours of arriving in Alaska. The trick is to find a place to give you the type of test that the mandate 10 specifies, some of the "rapid tests" don't qualify.

If you don't do the test, you will have to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Alaska; probably not what you want to do.

It is possible to get the required test within the time-frame specified but it may take some calling around.

Do the test, have your paperwork in line, and just be smart about being around other people.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/17/20 12:09 AM

Any day now that magic virus is going jump 5, 6 hundred miles from southeast Alaska to Talkeetna. Seriously, we had 2 to 3 cases a day, it is not like we can go down. crazy
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/17/20 01:04 AM

I'm going there as well and have been keeping an eye on this. If you get tested 72 hours before departure you are good. Otherwise you will have to test while there

https://covid19.alaska.gov/health-mandates/

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/17/20 01:12 AM

it will when you get a bunch of people traveling out of the citys like wassila and anchorage that act like evrything is all will nilly and think the virus is a hiped up thing. i am starting to think all the peopel who think this is fake are flat earthers.

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/17/20 01:27 AM

I think the main message is if you are sick stay home. If you are afraid of the virus, lay low, however don't expect the whole world to stop for you.
Posted By: white17

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/17/20 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Squaretimber
I'm going there as well and have been keeping an eye on this. If you get tested 72 hours before departure you are good. Otherwise you will have to test while there

https://covid19.alaska.gov/health-mandates/

The way I read the regs you will STILL need to test a second time between 7-14 days after you arrive.

https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/17/20 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by 20shortlong
and people wonder why the cases are going up hear. sounds like to me you are a selfish person traveling with the virus still going around..... but it cant happen to me right? there is no way i will spread it? stay in PA we dont want you hear the tourism is all ready tanked we dont want or need you hear or any other out of stater. it is people like you is why this pandemic wont go away for a while...... stay home

There is way more testing going on lately, like in just the past couple weeks. Death count is not rising as substantially the positive tests.
Now lighten up Francis.
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/17/20 03:39 AM

1.The traveler produces a molecular-based test for SARS-CoV2 result showing that the traveler tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours before departure to Alaska;OR
2.The traveler produces a molecular-based test for SARS-CoV2 result showing that the traveler tested negative for COVID-19 within five days before departure to Alaska and the traveler obtains a second molecular-based test for SARS-CoV2 upon arrival in Alaska, and minimize interactions until the second test result is received and that test is also negative;
3.All travelers with negative results from a pre-travel test will need to minimize interactions until (1) they receive negative results from the second test for COVID-19; (2) for 14 days after arrival; or (3) they leave Alaska, whichever is soonest. If a second test is needed, they will receive a voucher upon arrival
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/17/20 03:39 AM

it will when you get a bunch of people traveling out of the citys like wassila and anchorage that act like evrything is all will nilly and think the virus is a hiped up thing. i am starting to think all the peopel who think this is fake are flat earthers.

Well .... only if it takes a Loved one will they believe.

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/18/20 12:30 AM

To whom it may concern. And I wish my reel was spinning as fast as these rumors
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/18/20 05:54 PM

Headed there in a month.
Francis must not own a small business there.
Posted By: martenpine

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/18/20 06:06 PM

http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pages/COVID-19/default.aspx

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/18/20 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SE.Current
To whom it may concern. And I wish my reel was spinning as fast as these rumors
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They should make an example out of this guy.

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/18/20 06:47 PM

quarantine him in the tundra with no bug dope
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/18/20 07:20 PM

It will be the first year In 18 years I haven't made the trip. I'm going to miss my Alaskan family.
My daughter told me the mosquitoes are really bad this year. Another reason to stay home.

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/18/20 07:42 PM

Really awful bugs this year
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/18/20 09:09 PM

The bugs are bad.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/18/20 10:22 PM

I really wanted to go to Junue this summer. Don't mind the tests as we have had zero cases since March. But to get back into the NWT I will have to isolate In a large center for 2 weeks. They almost opened a travel bubble to the Yukon but Yukon opened its border with BC instead. National border closed also to non essential travel anyways. Are the ferries going? I suppose they have to?
Posted By: Ole

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/19/20 01:11 AM

Testing won't do me any good cuz right now only essential people are allowed to fly into Bethel. Hope things change by August.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/19/20 01:25 AM

We have cancelled all our Alaska trip plans, because of this covid stuff.
It's our 25th wedding anniversary this year, and been planning it for the last few years.
Dont like invaders in our backyard, so sure don't want to invade Alaska besides it will still be there.
Saved half the trip money, and spending the rest on a new bait/trap shed.

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/19/20 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by beartooth trapr
It's our 25th wedding anniversary this year, and been planning it for the last few years.
Dont like invaders in our backyard, so sure don't want to invade Alaska besides it will still be there.

let god bless you finaly some one with sence. i hope you make it up one day!
Posted By: garymc

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/19/20 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by beartooth trapr

I was the same way. I have traveled to Alaska to fish 3 out the last 4 years and had a tripped planned since last Sept. for another trip this year but cancelled. Fortunately the RV rentals, Airlines, campgrounds, etc have been very forgiving about refunding deposits or bumping them to 2021. So as it stands now I'll be back for 2021. Hopefully for two weeks to make up for the week I missed this year
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/19/20 12:27 PM

While you are isolating in self quarantine,
maybe brush up on your spelling skills. laugh

w
Posted By: MJM

Re: Covid and Alaska Travel - 06/19/20 12:56 PM

With the advertised death rate being stretched to the limit plus, the entire shut down is a joke. They are counting all deaths with CV-19 as CV-19 deaths. If you get killed in a car wreck and have CV-19, its a CV-19 related death.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums