Home

Wyoming better get a grip

Posted By: Preacherman Les

Wyoming better get a grip - 06/20/20 08:56 PM

...better get a grip on my money that is, instead of returning it to me when my application doesn't get drawn. Grrr. I think this is 4 years running. They know I want to come back, but they're making it hard for me to do so. Such is the struggle for high-demand areas.
Any one else have better luck?
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/20/20 09:55 PM

A good friend of mine just drew a Colorado Elk tag, with 28 points.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/20/20 10:03 PM

Nope I got rejected and I LIVE HERE!!!
Blankety Blank Blank freekin turists!
The cow tag I put in for used to have well over 300 total quota for residents with only a few over 300 first choice applicants = sure thing.
This year 200+ available 500+ applications =SUX
Two years running now mad last year,
I hunted in my second choice and saw more lion sign than elk.
That’s ok I can still hunt for seven weeks where the cow tag would have been I just won’t be able to kill two, and I might have to shoot a nasty old bull.
I have elderly friends that sure could have put a couple hundred pounds of elk meat to good use. They are to old to hunt.

Preacerman what tag you put in for since you said “ high demand “ I’m guessing Trophy”

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 01:14 AM

cmcf put in for limited draw areas in central part of state. We do it more for success odds than for trophy quality. There are 2 kids in the party that I would like to get there & be successful. I want them to be able to get on game & not just see hunter orange. More about them at this point than me.
What part of the state are you in?
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 01:30 AM

It was a strange year for the draw, know a lot of people who didn't draw anything. Didn't get any addition doe antelope tags, gonna have to keep an eye out for fresh road kill.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 11:28 AM

I did not draw an antelope tag with 8 points. Last year 100% of the applicants drew the zone with 7.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 11:32 AM

I put in for an "any antelope" tag in a Wy unit with limited public access where I had drawn in both 2018 and 2019. Random draw odds were 83% in 2018 and 86% in 2019. In 2020 the quota was reduced by 75% and the 1st choice applicants increased by a factor of 4 giving odds of 6.5%. Needless to say, I did not draw this year. It appears that the quota reduction was due to a winter that was hard on the antelope herds. The increase in applicants I suspect is due to CV19, perhaps due to the Canadian border closing and spring hunt cancellations by some western states.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
I put in for an "any antelope" tag in a Wy unit with limited public access where I had drawn in both 2018 and 2019. Random draw odds were 83% in 2018 and 86% in 2019. In 2020 the quota was reduced by 75% and the 1st choice applicants increased by a factor of 4 giving odds of 6.5%. Needless to say, I did not draw this year. It appears that the quota reduction was due to a winter that was hard on the antelope herds. The increase in applicants I suspect is due to CV19, perhaps due to the Canadian border closing and spring hunt cancellations by some western states.

There's been a lot of dead antelope east of the bighorns. Disease they say. This winter was not that hard. Sill a ton out there.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 01:47 PM

EdP, I believe your point about border closings and cancelled hunts may be spot on. As for hard winter/winter kill, can't talk to the whole state, but the speed goat numbers in the SE quadrant are off the charts.

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 04:28 PM

I'm sure it's not the only factor but I think there were a lot more applicants this year due to the corona mess. I know here locally there were guys applying who havent' bothered in years. Also a lot of new ones. They just wanted to get out and go some where. Now they didn't all apply in Wyoming but the point remains: higher demand + reduced tag numbers = tougher draw.
Posted By: crowheart

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 04:44 PM

My wife and I got good Antelope areas 68 and 107 but that was it. We have Elk and deer on the ranch so that is easy to hunt! grin

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by crowheart
My wife and I got good Antelope areas 68 and 107 but that was it. We have Elk and deer on the ranch so that is easy to hunt! grin

ok, I'll say it: I'm jealous. Might as well be honest about it.lol. Hope you have a great season.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Preacherman Les
I'm sure it's not the only factor but I think there were a lot more applicants this year due to the corona mess. I know here locally there were guys applying who havent' bothered in years. Also a lot of new ones. They just wanted to get out and go some where. Now they didn't all apply in Wyoming but the point remains: higher demand + reduced tag numbers = tougher draw.

×2

[Linked Image]

Got lucky last year with 2 points and drew a cheaper gen tag. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse as far as tags go. Point creep is turning into point leap.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Wyoming better get a grip - 06/23/20 08:55 PM

Land owner tags!! and if not well land owner!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums