Home

beef shortage

Posted By: rags57078

beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:02 AM

Apparently there’s a beef shortage on the rise.
The good news is Taco Bell shouldn’t be affected.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:07 AM

shocked grin
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:09 AM

I liked that one
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:18 AM

Oh well. It tastes good, but not really all that good for us.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:41 AM

I like Taco Bell, except that it costs a small fortune to get enough to eat there. I don't think they could put less beef on a taco and still be able to sell it.

Keith
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I like Taco Bell, except that it costs a small fortune to get enough to eat there. I don't think they could put less beef on a taco and still be able to sell it.

Keith

It's grade e horsemeat. Lol.
Posted By: run

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:53 AM

I like Taco Bell as well.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 02:31 AM

I don't believe there's any beef shortage. The insanity hasn't been going on for that long. It takes a minimum of 13-14 months to get the very fastest growing cattle to slaughter weight. Not buying it.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 02:52 AM

There's a processor shortage. I can buy live cattle dirt cheap. A few weeks ago canner cows were 25 cents a pound and well finished Angus steers were only 75 cents a pound.

Keith
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:13 PM

CALL YOUR US SENATORS AND REPRESENATIVE and ask them to cosponsor the PRIME ACT . It will nreak up the packers monopoly
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:45 PM

yup, no shortage of beef, shortage on processing

i pick up my yearly steer on saturday - it took a week and half longer to process than they expected, but I dont mind the extra aging. I'll be good till next June
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
There's a processor shortage. I can buy live cattle dirt cheap. A few weeks ago canner cows were 25 cents a pound and well finished Angus steers were only 75 cents a pound.

Keith

I don't think your small local sale barn report is an accurate representation of the entire market. Canners and cutters prices have actually been "strong". I sold an old broke mouth cow a few weeks ago that brought $50/CTW, and she was embarrassingly skinny. That's considerably higher than she would have brought a couple years ago. My neighbor feeds and sells fats every week, the lowest they've brought was in the .90s. Still not enough to break even, but there was likely an issue with any fat steer selling for .75/lb. Our local barn is pretty big though, and the manager works with the buyers and tells the guys selling fats when to bring them and when to keep them home. That may not be the case at the smaller barns.

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
CALL YOUR US SENATORS AND REPRESENATIVE and ask them to cosponsor the PRIME ACT . It will nreak up the packers monopoly

No, unfortunately it won't. It will allow smaller slaughter houses to sell meat, and that's great. But it won't change the monopoly the large packers currently enjoy.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
Oh well. It tastes good, but not really all that good for us.

"it's called 4th meal for Legal reasons " can't complain it isn't food if it isn't marketed as food .

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis

No, unfortunately it won't. It will allow smaller slaughter houses to sell meat, and that's great. But it won't change the monopoly the large packers currently enjoy.

It wont be instantaneous but it will give more of a choice its a simple bill that will have the desired effect of removing the USDAs foot from the top of the head of the small processors . If the antitrust people get involved it never goes well there is always regulations that come with it that hurts more than it helps . IMO its far better to remove regulation that creates a government sanctioned monopoly than to forcefully break one up

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 03:42 PM

I’m not saying its bad, far from it. Just that it won’t change the way the meat industry is currently structured. Meat sold at local slaughter facilities will still be a tiny portion of the market. Especially since there are very few local slaughter facilities around.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 03:53 PM

Hey you know why there isn't a play ground at taco bell ?? Hard to have fun when your about to crap your pants !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis

Unfortunately you are probably right- Mike Calicrate and a few brave Texans tried to take on the big time packers a few years back and the fed came back with an answer so stupid it boggles the mind. The decided that American producers were over producing and caused a 'glut" in the market.

This was not long after NADFTA and at the same time, the southern border was being crossed at places like Santa Teresa with hundreds of thousands of feeders headed to the big grazing lands in KS, OK, and Norther NM and I-25 was literally lit up with trailers full of fat cattle from Canada going to Monfort .
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 04:11 PM

There are no doubt a few of you on here that remember that BS- among them I would expect Yessir and Pawnee to spit whenever they think of it too
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 04:15 PM

You're right Taco Bell won't be affected. What's in it is anything but beef, my guess is kangaroo, rat, seagull, or a new market for possum

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 04:16 PM

All of the lockers in my area say they would expand if this passed .
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 04:29 PM

Nearest cattle auction at San Saba, Texas last Thursday and sold a total of 3,448 head.

Choice Steer Calves:
500-600 lbs. –$125.00-$159.00
700-800 lbs. –$105.00-$120.00

Choice Heifer Calves:
500-600 lbs. –$110.00-$135.00
700-800 lbs. –$92.00-$108.00

Choice Yearlings:
Steers 800+ lbs. –$105.00-$114.00
Heifers 800+ lbs. –$85.00-$105.00

#2 Calves & Yearlings:
Steers –$95.00-$145.00
Heifers –$85.00-$130.00

Slaughter Cows:
High Yield –$63.00-$80.00
Medium Yield –$55.00-$64.00
Low Yield –$40.00-$54.00

Bulls:
High Yield –$93.00-$100.00
Medium Yield –$84.00-$95.00
Low Yield –$75.00-$89.00
Posted By: Flipper

Re: beef shortage - 06/24/20 07:06 PM

Over the last several yearsI know of 2 packing plants that were producer owned both went broke. Beef producers don’t take in account all the overhead in running a packing plant.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums