Home

Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold?

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 11:47 AM

I've heard there is a new book out. If the author is out there, give us some info on this book. We'd love to hear all about it, including where to get it.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 12:06 PM

Advertisement on AMAZON-
Walter Arnold, Maine Trapper: Stories from one of the Last Mountain Men- https://www.amazon.com/dp/0999889419

Also, a short story can be found at- https://trappingtoday.com/new-trapper-with-an-old-dream-walter-arnold/
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 12:08 PM

Jeremiah wood book released two days ago
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 12:13 PM

Word travels fast! Been working on reprinting old Walter Arnold stories from the '30s, '40s and '50s.
The book is titled "Walter Arnold, Maine Trapper: Stories from one of the Last Mountain Men".
It includes more than 300 pages of trapping adventures, furbearer observations, trapping methods, and a bit on lure making, as well as a bunch of vintage photos. Each chapter also includes a little bit of perspective from a modern day trapper. I had a blast reading through all of the old stories, and my wife did too, and she's not even a trapper. I think a lot of people will enjoy this.

You can find it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0999889419 , or send a check/MO for $22.00 (post paid) to Jeremiah Wood, 408 Goding Road, Ashland, ME 04732.
Thanks Paul!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 12:16 PM

thanks just order it smile
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 12:31 PM

Looks like a great informative read!

Chris
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 12:50 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Paul, and many thanks to Jeremiah for putting this book together. Kudos, man! I'm ordering right now!

Jack

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 12:54 PM

I just ordered!

Chris
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 03:09 PM

Mr. Wood, how much is it for an autographed copy?

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
Mr. Wood, how much is it for an autographed copy?

Hey J. I'll gladly do so at no extra charge. But, as a good friend and fellow writer used to say, "...you could just spill some coffee on it....be worth about as much!" grin
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 04:39 PM

That 415X they were catching beaver with is the big wolf trap right? Man I wish I had a barn full of them.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 04:47 PM

Frank Glaser known as the wolf man used 415x for wolves in Alaska
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 04:52 PM

Looks like a great read, just ordered a copy. Thank you Jeremiah for your hard work.
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 05:47 PM

Jeremiah thanks for the great podcast and hope to get a copy of the book soon.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 07:46 PM

Thanks.Will have to get a copy.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 07:48 PM

Looks like a new addition to my library is on the way
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by TrapperCarl78
Jeremiah thanks for the great podcast and hope to get a copy of the book soon.

X 2!
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/24/20 11:12 PM

Got me a copy coming. Thank you for your work and thank you Paul for letting us know!

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/25/20 11:42 AM

If you want to check out some of the stories and get a feel for the book, or can't afford to buy a paperback copy, you can read some here: https://trappingtoday.com/category/walter-arnold-project/

Thanks for all of the great feedback!
Jeremiah
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/25/20 11:53 AM

Keep up the good work Jeremiah! Enjoyed your last book and I’m sure this one will be just as interesting.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/25/20 11:58 AM

List of books by jwood please.

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/25/20 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RdFx
List of books by jwood please.

The only other one is "Fur Profit - A Trapper's Guide to the Modern Fur Market" On Amazon or here: https://trappingtoday.com/furprofit/
It's a short book geared toward beginners.

Future projects include a collection of columns I've written on hunting/fishing/trapping books, and something on my Alaska trapping trip. More ideas than time.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/25/20 05:55 PM

Just ordered it! Can’t wait to start reading it! Jon
Posted By: Kev56

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/25/20 09:26 PM

Just ordered a copy off Amazon. Looks GREAT! I always enjoyed the stories in FFG by the old time trappers like Dailey, Butcher, Eckhart,etc. I was fortunate enough to spend two days learning how to trap Otter from Lew Eckhart over in Barryville NY in the late 1960's.... Lew was one heck of a fox trapper as well!
Posted By: Mac

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/26/20 02:30 PM

Friends, I just got the book. I read the introduction and see another name I recognized. He was a motivator in getting this project off the floor. He and I have been friends since high school and I have the upmost respect for him. I am so glad he talked Jeremiah into working on this project.

Walter Arnold was a legend. And he was a legend that I was fortunate to meet a couple times and talk to. He was a very humble many and full of knowledge. Probably there are many young trappers today that do not recognize the name. That is a shame. Besides being an excellent trapper, a fantastic lure maker, and expert woodsman, Arnold was a gifted writer. I do not use that compliment often.

I read the introduction and breezed around a bit. My gosh, this is an awesome book. The author is one of they young men in the trapping game that cares about the history. I am blown away by what I have seen. Of course I must admit to jumping to the trapping method section and the part about making lures. I have always been an Arnold fan. My very best lure formulation I got while taking to Arnold. It is in the book, and no I cannot tell you which one. LOL. This looks like a masterpiece to me. Thank you Trapping Today, Jeremiah, it is an awesome piece of work.

I cannot wait to read some the adventure and trapping writing that Arnold shared. As I said, I breezed around. Found some of Jeremiah's insights, for example on comparing old school methods or thought to todays.

My gosh I am recommending this to all trappers.
Mac
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/26/20 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mac
Friends, I just got the book. I read the introduction and see another name I recognized. He was a motivator in getting this project off the floor. He and I have been friends since high school and I have the upmost respect for him. I am so glad he talked Jeremiah into working on this project.

Walter Arnold was a legend. And he was a legend that I was fortunate to meet a couple times and talk to. He was a very humble many and full of knowledge. Probably there are many young trappers today that do not recognize the name. That is a shame. Besides being an excellent trapper, a fantastic lure maker, and expert woodsman, Arnold was a gifted writer. I do not use that compliment often.

I read the introduction and breezed around a bit. My gosh, this is an awesome book. The author is one of they young men in the trapping game that cares about the history. I am blown away by what I have seen. Of course I must admit to jumping to the trapping method section and the part about making lures. I have always been an Arnold fan. My very best lure formulation I got while taking to Arnold. It is in the book, and no I cannot tell you which one. LOL. This looks like a masterpiece to me. Thank you Trapping Today, Jeremiah, it is an awesome piece of work.

I cannot wait to read some the adventure and trapping writing that Arnold shared. As I said, I breezed around. Found some of Jeremiah's insights, for example on comparing old school methods or thought to todays.

My gosh I am recommending this to all trappers.
Mac

Hey Mac, Back in the 1970's two guy from PA flew into Mr. Arnold's camp and stayed with him for a few days. One of the guys was Jack Hubley and they filmed an interview for a TV show. http://jackhubley.com/Pages/home.html I'm trying to track down the interview tape. The second guy is a friend of mine and comes to Portage several times each year.

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/26/20 04:18 PM

Thanks Butch.
I will check out the link.

Years ago Walter Arnold wrote an article about collecting spruce gum. I found the old FFG at a convention or antique store. I cannot remember.
It was a great article. I was really surprised when I read the article and looked at the pictures. He wrote of a young boy in his neighborhood in Cumberland, going to camp and helping him collect gum. I was surprised because I had met the boy, or I should say the man many years after the article was written.
Charlie came to Thanks giving a couple times to where I live with an aunt and uncle. Charlie was friends with an aunt and uncle down in the Cumberland area. He was known as an outstanding hunter and woodsman. Great on the white tail, as a lot of Maine boys are.

I thought it was cool that I had known Charlie. It was most unfortunate that Charlie was killed in a horrible deer hunting mistaken identity accident. If you find the tape let me know.
thanks Butch
Mac
Posted By: River Birch

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/27/20 04:59 PM

Mine arrived today, time to take a break and do a little reading... Thanks Jeremiah for taking the time to put this together!

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/27/20 11:53 PM

Mac, thanks for the great review, and glad you guys are getting your copies already! For folks who sent checks, there's been a slight delay in getting copies here, but I'll have them shipped out to you as soon as I get them, thanks!
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/29/20 12:29 AM

Sounds like an interesting book.
I'm looking forward to reading it.
Posted By: Grouse28

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/30/20 12:52 AM

Mac and Butch: I am the other guy that was with Jack. He voice taped an interview while we were with Walter. Tape seems to have gone missing.
I have a few photos of Walter and his camp while we were there at Indian Pond. Probably some of the last photos of Walter in his camp.
We were there for 3 or 4 days in April of 1978. Have a few pieces of spruce gum Walter gave me at that time. Flew in from Folsom’s Air Service from Greenville.
I hope to be in Portage mid July and hope to see Butch and maybe Jeremiah and MAC.
My book just arrived Sunday.

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 06/30/20 11:09 AM

Grouse28, thanks for sharing. Cool stories
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 07/02/20 02:10 AM

Got it in mail today. Couldn’t put it down
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 07/02/20 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse28
Mac and Butch: I am the other guy that was with Jack. He voice taped an interview while we were with Walter. Tape seems to have gone missing.
I have a few photos of Walter and his camp while we were there at Indian Pond. Probably some of the last photos of Walter in his camp.
We were there for 3 or 4 days in April of 1978. Have a few pieces of spruce gum Walter gave me at that time. Flew in from Folsom’s Air Service from Greenville.
I hope to be in Portage mid July and hope to see Butch and maybe Jeremiah and MAC.
My book just arrived Sunday.

Hey Dave, who told you about this thread? I'm still in Oley trying to get motivated to load the truck and go north. I think I forgot how to drive.

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 07/02/20 03:04 AM

Received my copy in the mail today. 327 pages of trapping knowledge and history of a bygone era. Will save it for a rainy or perhaps snowy day to start reading but I am looking forward to it!

Chris
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 07/02/20 11:08 AM

got mine yesterday, going to start reading today, when it get to hot outside
Posted By: Grouse28

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 07/04/20 08:17 PM

I check this site out from time to time.
Get moving North!!

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 07/08/20 09:28 PM

FINALLY, my author copies have arrived! For those of you who sent check or money order, I'll be packing them tonight and shipping tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 07/08/20 09:28 PM

And I do have extras, so if you want to order one it's not too late.
Posted By: mole

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 07/08/20 10:54 PM

Waiting on mine.

Re: Anyone heard about the new book on Walter Arnold? - 07/09/20 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by mole
Waiting on mine.

Just addressed a few to New York. None to Mole, but I'm sure one of them was you!!!
Thanks for your patience and I hope you enjoy the book.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums