Home

And so it begins

Posted By: Wolfdog91

And so it begins - 06/24/20 07:57 PM

Got some bullet molds in today can't wait till I can start casting my own rounds grin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: And so it begins - 06/24/20 08:26 PM

Nice, what size?
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: And so it begins - 06/24/20 08:34 PM

Excellent! That will keep you busy. Looks like some high quality molds.

Chris
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: And so it begins - 06/24/20 08:50 PM

Cool, watch the fumes, turn up Lynard Skynard Give Me Back My Bullets.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: And so it begins - 06/24/20 08:51 PM

great fit .001 to .002 over groove and don't drive them to fast.

you might want to look into making a batch of Ben's red boolit lube https://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=83.0

Ben is a guy on Castboolits gun loads but that forum is down today for a server migration.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: And so it begins - 06/24/20 09:28 PM

Nice.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: And so it begins - 06/24/20 09:30 PM

Nice!

Re: And so it begins - 06/25/20 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
Nice, what size?

55 grain .225
62 grain .226
155 grain .312
Posted By: trap master

Re: And so it begins - 06/25/20 01:24 AM

those will be real cool. do you have a source of lead? ive cast a lot of lead for fishing and some muzzleloader bullets (T/C) maxiball copys. im certainly no expert and you may already know this but those bullets will need to be "harder" than muzzleloader bullets. IE, more antimony I believe is the term. definitely post some pics when you get some cast and some accuracy reports. if those hogs are still hangin around they would make a perfect test medium, and eatin!
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: And so it begins - 06/25/20 01:24 AM

tomahawker and GREENCOUNTYPETE gave good advice.

Casting your own bullets takes a gun to a whole 'nother level. I've worked up light small game loads with a 90 gr
bullet all the way up to a 180 gr bullet for my Winchester 94.

A couple of my pistols have either never seen a jacketed bullet or haven't seen one in years.

I've even sent a couple of molds off and had them modified to cast hollowpoints.

Re: And so it begins - 06/25/20 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
great fit .001 to .002 over groove and don't drive them to fast.

you might want to look into making a batch of Ben's red boolit lube https://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=83.0

Ben is a guy on Castboolits gun loads but that forum is down today for a server migration.

Yeah I'm thinking if I get the right alloy mix I'll be driving the .225s at 1800-2100 but gotta see how everything works out first. Gonna be powder coating every thing just for ease of simplicity and cost. Gonna be trying to load for .223/5.56 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r. Still need to properly slug my mosin. But thinking I'll get some decent accuracy with a .312.
Got the Lyman casting book ,brass catcher and some other stuff to help out coming in tomorrow. Hoping to make a series for YouTube. Figure wrong me bible around and do a bunch of trial and error stuff would be cool

Re: And so it begins - 06/25/20 07:23 PM

Played around a little today with the .312 mold and some pure lead just see how they would look.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: And so it begins - 06/25/20 07:55 PM

I can tell your not excited at all. crazy looks like a cool skill Wolfie. Have fun and be safe.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: And so it begins - 06/25/20 08:04 PM

Might buy some sinker molds for practice, will help get your motions down without worrying about alloys sizes etc.

Re: And so it begins - 06/25/20 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Might buy some sinker molds for practice, will help get your motions down without worrying about alloys sizes etc.

Way ahead of ya boss man lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: And so it begins - 06/25/20 10:13 PM

we used to mold .44 round ball for a bp pistol. then drill a hole in them and use them for sinkers.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: And so it begins - 06/26/20 08:21 PM

WTG Wolfie!
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: And so it begins - 10/14/20 04:58 PM

How's the casting been going Wolfdog? I've gotten into casting for 9mm and .30-30 within the last year or so. Definitely a big learning curve! Powder-coating has been going pretty well, using Eastwood Ford Blue.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: And so it begins - 10/14/20 05:41 PM

Wolfdog, I admire your do-it-yourself go-getter attitude and enthusiasm! Be safe and have fun! Will enjoy watching your progress!
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: And so it begins - 10/14/20 06:00 PM

You mentioned powder coating....what are you coating, the bullits?
Posted By: Don

Re: And so it begins - 10/14/20 06:06 PM

Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and avoid the fumes both heating and pouring.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: And so it begins - 10/14/20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
You mentioned powder coating....what are you coating, the bullits?

yes powder coating the bullets

baked on at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes it bonds to the bullets surface and provides a slick barrier between barrel and bullet.

they glide through a sizing die like they are already lubed . more velocity less powder , very very easy on the barrel , not had any leading issues

you can also hi-tech coat them or buy them hi-tech coated

http://www.acmebullet.com/Acme-Bullet/HiTek-Coated-bullets

Re: And so it begins - 10/14/20 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
How's the casting been going Wolfdog? I've gotten into casting for 9mm and .30-30 within the last year or so. Definitely a big learning curve! Powder-coating has been going pretty well, using Eastwood Ford Blue.

Havent actually done any lol. Been collecting all the dies, brass, molds, bullets, powdercoat, gas checks, sizing bushing, thermometers, wire for making my powder coating racks, slugging balls, so on and so on. I'm going to so a whole video series but I want it to be both entertaining and educational so I'm trying to wait and do everything on camera so prole can see both my successes and fails, because alot of guys I talked to get discouraged because this videos generally so prole who have been doing it forever and a day and they make it look so easy.

Was going to have the intro video done this week but my phone I use to film needs to be repaired and my allergies are going nuts so I can't talk like I usually do either (actually got sent home from work the other day because of it)

But yeah planning on doing
7.62x54r in my Mosin sporter
7.62x39 in my bear creek Arsenal AR and My Norinco sks
5.56x45 NATO in my Daytona Tactical 1-7 twist upper and yes I have a 55grain and a 60 grain mold
And now. 22hornet which I'm currently in the process of getting some brass and dies for
Hope my latest order from mid south will cover my powder needs for this project
crazy
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: And so it begins - 10/14/20 07:14 PM

Dang Wolfdog
You gonna be huntin vampires?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: And so it begins - 10/14/20 08:47 PM

I hope you stay single for awhile so can get a bunch of that stuff without explaining WHY lol
Posted By: Rally

Re: And so it begins - 10/14/20 09:26 PM

Wolfie,
Get on the CB site and look for the "Bullet Alloy Calculator" in the alloy section. It will tell you what to add to the pure lead you are using, like pewter for tin, solder for tin, babbit, plumbers solder, lino and mono type set, and what they are made of. If your intending to powder coat you can get away with using a softer alloy. You just put in the amount of alloy you have and can change the formulas on the spread sheet to arrive at what you need, it's cost, and BHN. It's a free and you can download it to your puter too.
There is still alot of pewter at garage sales, you just need to learn how to identify it and make sure it is Hallmarked, which it had to be to be used in food service, which is 96-98 % tin. The tin in your alloy helps get good fill out in your bullets and toughens the alloy. Try to keep the tin in the alloy close to, but below the percentage of Antimony. There is lots of reading on the cast bullet sites to help with alloy blending.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums