Home

Lou Gehrig’s Disease

Posted By: vermontster

Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 09:58 AM

My wife and I went to the calling hours for the second time this year for a friend’s wife that died from the disease. Last night was a friend’s wife she was a retired VT state police officer Mother of two and was only 53. She was diagnosed only 9 months ago and rapidly deteriorated. Just last Saturday morning my wife gave her a annual back and neck massage. My wife is a massage therapist and massaged both of the two departed women. What a awful thing to watch a healthy love one suddenly go through such a horrific transformation in which they can’t walk,speak. I don’t know what to say to the surviving husband and there children. The suffering for theses young women is over perhaps they can have some comfort in that thought. The reality of the moment is like a slap in the face and makes you realize maybe our own hardships aren’t that bad.
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 10:27 AM

My cousins got it. In his late 40s. He'll pass any day now. Terrible disease
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 10:48 AM

my neighbor died of ALS I think it has been 9 years now. they are just trapped in a deteriorating body.

he lasted around 2 years.
Posted By: flash

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 11:06 AM

that disease would be one of the worst. i to find it hard for words.
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 11:18 AM

My grandma died from it as well as two of my aunts. It is awful to watch the progression. Apparently there is a hereditary strain and there is a decent chance that either my sister or I get it. It is a death sentence.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 11:21 AM

Very sad.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 01:07 PM

That disease should be only for the wicked.....breaks my heart
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 02:10 PM

My dad passed away 10 years ago today from it. He was gone in 2 years and I wont even try to describe the last 3 months.I don't wish it on anyone.
Posted By: charles

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 04:23 PM

Had a friend. That lasted over ten years. Better to go quickly than put a family through the drawn out care needs he required. He was about the same age as yours friend.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 04:45 PM

With diseases like that people should have the choice of medical euthanasia.
Even a dog gets that consideration when suffering.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 04:54 PM

I was tested for this disease a number of years ago. I started getting muscle twitches all over my body, one of the first signs of the disease. Thankfully, it was benign.
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 05:46 PM

My hunting buddy of 25 years died two years ago from it was with him 10 hours before he passed. I was able to shack his hand and tell him it was nice to be his friend for all those years. I told him I'd see him monday. His sister called me in the morning and told me he passed at 3:00AM. He gave me his guns to disperse to friends. I kept what no one else wanted. I got his sons 16ga remington 1100. We found his 23foot Searay in my name, I gave it back to the family. Gary's son was murdered in Rochester nine years ago and the murders only got seven years. The murders are lucky Gary passed or they would have had a price to pay. Gary was a great hunting buddy in Iowa, we worked well together hunting pheasants. I think of him often and can still see the pain in his face from diesease.
Posted By: charles

Re: Lou Gehrig’s Disease - 06/26/20 07:13 PM

My cousin had a neighbor about 20 years ago that was a widow and lived alone. Them neighbor had LG. She required constant help. She could not speak but could write a little. All her neighbors bought fax machines to communicate with her several times per day. I am sure the nurse helped as necessary.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums