Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:18 AM

Produced by Monsanto
DDT produced by Monsanto
Round Up produced by Monsanto
Monsanto tested all and said they were safe
And tricked the farmer's into thinking they need to feed the world
Posted By: nate

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:19 AM

Raccoons in fields all day.becauce the new grain doesn't have any nutrition.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:20 AM

Say what you will but DDT was sure good for my quail populations
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:43 AM

OP Troll
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:54 AM

I used some 2-4-5t (agent orange) and I ain't dead yet. DDT was really hard on the birds-- glad to see it gone. Have used round up and many harsher chemicals for years -- they all have there place when used judiciously(sp). While I don't see it as a huge problem the GMOs are of a greater concern to me. If it is of concern to you check the regulations of the other countries that you are getting your food from.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 05:02 AM

When I opened this thread I thought we were gonna be discussing Home Depot.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 05:07 AM

ALL chemicals are harmful, but that doesn't stop me from using them. Maybe they're racist...I should sue them!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 05:21 AM

grin
Posted By: run

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 10:04 AM

I agree with the OP.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho

i thought it was a new name for Trump.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by nate

no nutrition?

why are we all so FAT?

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by H2ORat
DDT was really hard on the birds-- glad to see it gone.

many of the "studies" they used to ban ddt were extremely flawed. some of them used a low calcium diet (in addition to feeding ddt) and {wonder of wonders!) the egg shells thinned.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 01:12 PM

Todays' grain has no nutrition.....that's how cattle can be fattened on todays' corn.

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 01:14 PM

If farmers don't feed the world......who does?

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 01:15 PM

If raccoons are in the field all day, they likely have distemper.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 01:17 PM

Really? When is the last time you scraped an Iowa coon?
Posted By: run

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 01:19 PM

A lot of the food in the USA is imported. Just read the country of origin labels. This is for those of you who don't have a garden.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 01:51 PM

Agent Orange is also Round Up ,in a less concentrated form. How I know it is from a Vietnam Vet I had work with in the past told me about what it dose and how it was used . Also what trapgog1 stated is so true and also they have not seen the fat on the deer also.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 02:43 PM

No doubt, Monsanto’s tests were flawed. I started my career in public health working for the farm division of Industrial Biotest, which did chemical testing. Looking back at the test protocols, there were flaws. But those decisions were way above my pay grade. But some of the blame for 1. The warnings on the packaging. 2. Those reading and heeding those warnings, are a part of this. Caution, Warning and Dangerous are all government mandated words, telling the user how to avoid problems. But, unless the user takes a toxicology class on this stuff, no real explanation is ever given about severity, LD50s and risk of use.

Next, is the user’s “appreciation” in terms of the protective gear they use when mixing, pouring and applying chemicals. Leather gloves aren’t going to stop a lot of things from getting to your skin. I’ve never ever seen anyone using a positive airflow respirator when working with pesticides or fertilizers. If a chemical says “danger” without specifying what precautions to take, I think the label is negligent. But the chemical companies only see it as telling you a danger exists without specifying what you should do to keep yourselves safe.

There’s a lot of blame to pass around here. The courts, however, have put the blame on the chemical industry for not doing a better job of warning users of the dangers of these products. In the end, I blame the government for assuming all users have degrees in toxicology. I also blame the chemical industry for not doing a better job explaining, in common language, what the risks of using their products are. And finally, I blame the end users for not asking questions when they don’t understand the meanings of the risk they’re exposed to. Caution, Warning, and Danger all mean something. Reading the labels isn’t enough. You have to understand them to protect yourself.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin

no nutrition?

why are we all so FAT?

Sugar.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
If farmers don't feed the world......who does?

Unless a farmer is giving me my food for free, I'm feeding myself.

Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by coydog2
Agent Orange is also Round Up ,in a less concentrated form. How I know it is from a Vietnam Vet I had work with in the past told me about what it dose and how it was used . Also what trapgog1 stated is so true and also they have not seen the fat on the deer also.

Round up is not 245-t, not even close.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho

LOL... I thought it was going to be another Trump./ Russia conspiracy laugh
Posted By: jburson

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:21 PM

I thought this was going to be about SKA !
Posted By: Ric

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:22 PM

"Agent Orange is also Round Up ,in a less concentrated form. How I know it is from a Vietnam Vet I had work with in the past told me about what it dose and how it was used"

You need to verify your sources.... Glyphosate IS NOT the same as agent orange, not even remotely close. Agent orange, one of the "rainbow agents", was compounded from 2-4-D and 2-4-5-T.

2-4-5-T contained a dioxin as a byproduct of manufacture that caused all the problems.

If Glyphosate and 2-4-D were so were so deadly we would all be dead. There has been a lot of it used in the last 50 years.

I speak from FIRST hand knowledge, didn't need to parrot someone that didn't know what they were talking about

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:23 PM

Blaming chemical manufacturers is as silly as blaming tobacco companies when people get sick from tobacco use, and blaming alcohol producers for alcoholism and drunk driving killing people. Money talks. But we'd better take Elmer Fudds' gun out of the cartoons. That's harmful.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:28 PM

245T was a wonderful brush killer. As long as it is used properly and folks are not forced to wear the stuff it is most likely safe. A little common sense is necessary with most things, but misuse it and it gets outlawed. Seems everything that works well gets abused and lost. I can see fly bait going the same rout in the near future with some of the stories told about using it improperly. mad

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:29 PM

Talking about this brings back memories. We used to put the base chemicals of cosmetics beneath the eyelids of rabbits because rabbits don’t cry. The Food Drug and Cosmetic Act requires cosmetics not affect human users if it gets into user eyes. Rabbit eye structures are apparently close to human eye structures so Charles River Whites were used. Our lab had over 400 adult rabbits at all times. We also had thousands of mice. A technician would shave the backs and apply 1 of 5 different concentrations of the test product to the skin. After a couple weeks, she’d measure the tumors. We also raised dogs for other labs. As I recall, we had 2100 purebred beagles most of which were shipped off to other testing sites.

I did a little bit of everything, including catching “clean” cups of manure and urine coming out of cows. And autopsies of chickens and mice, candling thousands of eggs, painting mice, running a manure spreader, bleeding hogs and helping muscle biopsy unhappy cows. You had to be fast because they kick hard!!
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:39 PM

[quote=Ric]
If Glyphosate and 2-4-D were so were so deadly we would all be dead. There has been a lot of it used in the last 50 years.

We plant a very large garden and don’t have much Free time to pull All the weeds. To save time, I use glyphosate between rows. Keeps from over tilling and compaction too. A couple days after spraying, we go back through and hand hoe the weeds within the rows or ones we missed spraying.

The only harm it does is occasionally drifting if it’s windy while spraying or me getting too brave and getting too close to the plants. Both of which are my fault.

Been doing this for years with no ill effects

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:59 PM

Exposures over time, concentration of use, age of person applying the product, etc. all have to be taken into consideration. You applying while wearing boots, pants and long sleeves is different from your grandson Hoeing weeds there a day later when he’s wearing flip-flops, shorts, and a t-shirt. Endocrine disrupters are harder on kids than they are on us older folks.

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 03:59 PM

Fat people means no nutrition they are always hungry trying to get nutrients the crap good doesn't have. No not distemper no nutrition. And broken immune system.
Posted By: white17

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:00 PM

Not true. They are two chemically different compounds and function completely differently on plants.

Glyphosate is C3H8NO5P

Agent Orange is C24H27CL5O6

Agent orange disrupts the production of a hormone that controls cell division inside the plant. Roundup interferes with enzyme production that promotes growth.Roundup Ready plants are engineered to produce MORE of this enzyme and consequently, not affected by the herbicide.

Dow Chemical was the main producer of Agent Orange so don't forget to badmouth them with misinformation also.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Say what you will but DDT was sure good for my quail populations

DDT was effective at controling mosquito born desease. It should have been brought back when zika hit.
As with all other chemicals, misuse is/was the real issue.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:05 PM

Diggerman here is some links to check out for yourself .

https://www.periscopegroup.com/roundup/roundup-agent-orange

https://agentorangegmo.com/roundup-everywhere

https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/100820_FSPLT3_3986988.pdf
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:25 PM

I have several friends that died from agent orange. Others adversely affected their entire lives.
Roundup is bad news in my opinion.
DDT was used in my area to control black flies, but it was learned to inhibit lake trout reproduction.
GE dumped tons of PCB's into the Hudson river affecting reproductivity of fish eaters like mink and otters. It put commercial fishermen, downstream, out of business.
Just read the ingredients on foods like bread. Is there any wonder there is so much cancer? Look at the aerial spraying of crops.
Posted By: white17

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:35 PM

This is the only link of yours that I read. It contains factual errors that are...IMO....intended to mislead the reader.

Example:

"Agent Orange (named for the orange stripes that were painted on the barrels) was the strongest and most commonly used herbicide employed to destroy food crops and decimate forest cover. 13 million gallons of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin, commonly called TCDD – a type of dioxin – was dumped onto Vietnam. The problem with dioxins is that they can last for years in the environment and have been known to cause cancer and birth defects."

That is NOT a true statement. About 13 million gallons of Agent Orange were used in VN but there were only trace amounts of dioxin contained in that 13 million gallons. Granted, the dioxin was sufficient to cause health problems....probably...but that doesn't excuse the author's shoddy...intentional ? ....scholarship

Also that author claims it was used on food crops. In VN that would be rice. The problem is that the chemical action of agent orange does not affect plants with a single cotyledon like rice and barley.
Posted By: harrison72

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 04:43 PM

Unless I am mistaken, Agent orange was outlawed. Simple fix, change the name to Paraquat,we used it for years,then it becomes too dangerous - outlawed it. Now we have Gramoxone, same basic thing as Agent Orange. Chemicals are dangerous, but they are very necessary.

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 05:47 PM

Fat people means no nutrition they are always hungry trying to get nutrients the crap good doesn't have. No not distemper no nutrition. And broken immune system.

do you have any data to back up your opinions?

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 05:51 PM

Fat people means no nutrition they are always hungry ...

no; lazy's eating all the time and not moving...THAT's what causes fat people.

Posted By: pcr2

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 05:58 PM

now skeeter,we aint lookin for no trouble round here.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Blaming chemical manufacturers is as silly as blaming tobacco companies when people get sick from tobacco use, and blaming alcohol producers for alcoholism and drunk driving killing people. Money talks. But we'd better take Elmer Fudds' gun out of the cartoons. That's harmful.

Gary you didn’t get the memo a few years ago. Corporations are not in it for the money. They existed to kill their customers and that’s it. From Wendy’s and McDonald’s to Monsanto and Exxon they want us all dead. Lol

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
now skeeter,we aint lookin for no trouble round here.

for the record...I include myself in this...got more than a couple pounds myself that I have to lose.

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 08:11 PM

Drink nutrition drinks. And think the good Lord for friends like me to help you out of your crisis.

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 08:45 PM

Drink nutrition drinks. And think the good Lord for friends like me to help you out of your crisis.

that, and stop eating so much...

so, if the coon drank nutrition drinks they wouldn't get fat in the Fall?

(better alert the bears...they'll be at an unhealthy weight soon...)
Posted By: charles

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 09:07 PM

Been using Roundup at home and at our farm forever. One day I was spraying and looked back at my cattle dog puppy. She was licking it off the plants. God rest her soul, she passed sixteen years later.

Bayer owns Roundup now, not Monsanto.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Agent Orange - 06/27/20 09:32 PM

When I was in high school the whole class had to do a book report on Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. Since all reports were due at the same time all the mothers were running all over Southern Illinois and Indiana to all the book stores trying to find a copy. What a great way to sell books and ideas to fresh minds. We have face-book and you-tube for that now and the 6 o'clock news!
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Agent Orange - 06/28/20 02:02 AM

Getting a “Restricted use herbicide” registered for use is way beyond the manufacturer of the product. Look into it. I’ll trust the experts on this one. The labels are very sophisticated, but if followed correctly, pose no harm. I personally run the sprayer on our grain farm.

If every farmer had to cultivate the rows on the amount of acres we plant today, you greenies would complain about the emissions from those tractors having to run so much to keep the crops clean.

John
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Agent Orange - 06/28/20 02:29 AM

no; lazy, SOB's eating all the time and not moving...THAT's what causes fat people.

Real simple for everyone. People can gain weight that work hard everyday . People in general unless they have an underlying medical condition gain weight for one simple reason, because they consume more calories than they burn off , it really is as simple as that not rocket science just that said people eat more calories than they burn.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Agent Orange - 06/28/20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by white17

This is the only link of yours that I read. It contains factual errors that are...IMO....intended to mislead the reader.

Example:

"Agent Orange (named for the orange stripes that were painted on the barrels) was the strongest and most commonly used herbicide employed to destroy food crops and decimate forest cover. 13 million gallons of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin, commonly called TCDD – a type of dioxin – was dumped onto Vietnam. The problem with dioxins is that they can last for years in the environment and have been known to cause cancer and birth defects."

That is NOT a true statement. About 13 million gallons of Agent Orange were used in VN but there were only trace amounts of dioxin contained in that 13 million gallons. Granted, the dioxin was sufficient to cause health problems....probably...but that doesn't excuse the author's shoddy...intentional ? ....scholarship

Also that author claims it was used on food crops. In VN that would be rice. The problem is that the chemical action of agent orange does not affect plants with a single cotyledon like rice and barley.

As I understand it there was a critical point in the process of 245T where it was heated to a certain temperature... Anything over a certain temperature (set in the parameters) would "scorch" the product and dioxin was the biporoduct of that overheating. Lots of batches were dioxin free and many were not. Apparently Dow knew about the problem but kept it to themselves.

Mike
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Agent Orange - 06/28/20 03:44 AM

When you consume foods loaded with refined sugars and carbs your blood sugar spikes... Which triggers your pancreas to release insulin. Insulin converts the sugar into fat and stores it for your body to use "later" during lean times.

If you eat garbage your body converts it all into fat and stores it without receiving any nutritional value from what you just ate.

You are literally starving to death while getting fat. This is why you can eat junk and be hungry again in 30 minutes.I

Eat real food... Meat, whole fruits and vegetables. Throw the refined processed garbage out.

Mike
Posted By: Wife

Re: Agent Orange - 06/28/20 12:53 PM

Orange was a mixture of 2,4,5-T and 2,4-D (and some dioxin and some other inert ingredients). You could still purchase 2,4,5-T in Canada as of the the early 2000's. Don't know now. It was a defoliant in Nam to reduce the cover the VC used to conduct their military operations. Interesting to note OSHA and NIOSH did all kinds of studies on the people using it (Agent Orange) here in the states before and after NAM. County and highway maintenance workers who were spraying, spilling it, splashing it, wearing the same clothes for 2-3 days etc., etc., were exposed a lot more over longer periods than the GI's to Orange. Know what, every study showed the workers in the study had less health related affects than the GI's. The workers incidents of all those problems (cancer, Parkinson's, MS, etc.) were no higher than the general population percentages of the U.S.. War is H-LL and PTSD takes its toll of every GI who has ever been on a battle field. The human Psyche works on the physical systems of the human body and stress is handled in different ways. There are 2 sides to every story (now-a-days there may be a dozen) but before you take the easy "scapegoat" side,,, read all you can on the other side's view (Love Canal NY is a classic). Sensationalism is not near the truth most times as your Social (Garbage) Media would like you to believe (right Congressman!) ...... Qualify the source for a hidden agenda.................. the mike
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Agent Orange - 06/28/20 01:11 PM

The first article told you how different they were, It did say that, they "considered" Round up the agent orange of today.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Agent Orange - 06/28/20 01:37 PM

no; lazy's eating all the time and not moving...THAT's what causes fat people.

grin
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Agent Orange - 06/28/20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by JoMiBru
Getting a “Restricted use herbicide” registered for use is way beyond the manufacturer of the product. Look into it. I’ll trust the experts on this one. The labels are very sophisticated, but if followed correctly, pose no harm. I personally run the sprayer on our grain farm.

If every farmer had to cultivate the rows on the amount of acres we plant today, you greenies would complain about the emissions from those tractors having to run so much to keep the crops clean.

John

Naw Theyed want you cultivating with horses so they (Nate) could complain about the farting

Re: Agent Orange - 07/02/20 02:34 PM

I didn't say anything about farting jeffy. Only hot air I have trouble with is liars. Enough of that B.S.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums