Home

John Wayne

Posted By: rex123

John Wayne - 06/27/20 07:41 PM

The Democratic Party of Orange County want the name of the locale airport changed because John Wayne was a bigot.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 07:51 PM

The whole democratic party ain't even a pimple on John Wayne's arse.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 07:57 PM

All the stupid changes in the world won't stop the whiners from whining
Posted By: BigBob

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 08:03 PM

If the media would stop pandering to those lunatics, they would just go away. Everybody just has to have a Law named after their dead friend/family member as an "Homage".
Posted By: Cragar

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 08:28 PM

Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by rex123
The Democratic Party of Orange County want the name of the locale airport changed because John Wayne was a bigot.

Talk is cheap! Takes hard money to buy whiskey.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 09:10 PM

Thanks for that, Crager! He was one of my favorite people!
Posted By: warrior

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 09:30 PM

John Wayne was not a bigot he was a product of his times. What we would consider bigoted remarks today in the context of his times were actually not.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Thanks for that, Crager! He was one of my favorite people!

Dang straight. He was a fine American. One of my favorites too.
Posted By: Boco

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 09:58 PM

Thats a travesty attacking the Duke.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 10:10 PM

This will never affect myself, or anyone else who has known in real life, anyone similar to this man.

I will always enjoy many of his movies. My father and I loved to watch them together.

Himself rode some of the finest horses I've seen in any movie .
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by rex123

John Wayne was also a staunch Republican, openly stood against Communism, etc.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 10:32 PM

With my eyes slightly squinted and in my best John Wayne voice...Pilgrim, that ain’t gonna cut it!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: John Wayne - 06/27/20 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
With my eyes slightly squinted and in my best John Wayne voice...Pilgrim, that ain’t gonna cut it!

Say, have you ever been to Nacogdoches, Pilgrim lol. Ahh, back when we had real hero's as kids. Playin Cowboys and Injuns, not Livestock Management Technicians and Indigenous Peoples.....
Posted By: chas3457

Re: John Wayne - 06/28/20 12:08 AM

[quote=Sharon]This will never affect myself, or anyone else who has known in real life, anyone similar to this man.

I will always enjoy many of his movies. My father and I loved to watch them together.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

/quote]

Sharon, You may already know the fine horse in those pictures is "Joker B".

I raised a nice filly out of one of Joker B's grandsons. cool

Charlie

Re: John Wayne - 06/28/20 12:48 AM

For real Chas? That's cool, the history of his horses names is also cool.

Re: John Wayne - 06/28/20 01:34 AM

Yup, for real. I worked at the local sale barn every Saturday, from the age of fifteen until I was twenty. One of the owners (two brothers) had two Appaloosa stallions.

We had a white mare that had spots in her skin pigment, but it didn't show in the hair. The boss let me have a service from "Judge" who was out of one of Joker B's offspring.

I didn't get the 'Appy' I had hoped for but a nice blue roan filly. smile

Charlie

Re: John Wayne - 06/28/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by chas3457
Yup, for real. I worked at the local sale barn every Saturday, from the age of fifteen until I was twenty. One of the owners (two brothers) had two Appaloosa stallions.

We had a white mare that had spots in her skin pigment, but it didn't show in the hair. The boss let me have a service from "Judge" who was out of one of Joker B's offspring.

Charlie

Man, what a link chas. Super cool! I had a new bmx bike for my 10th Bday, guess what I named it lol. Ole Duke played a huge role in my comin uppin lol.

Re: John Wayne - 06/28/20 02:36 AM

grin My younger brother was born on John Wayne's birthday, May 26.

Charlie
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: John Wayne - 06/28/20 03:53 AM

[quote=Sharon]This will never affect myself, or anyone else who has known in real life, anyone similar to this man.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

/quote]

Sharon, You may already know the fine horse in those pictures is "Joker B".

I raised a nice filly out of one of Joker B's grandsons. cool

Charlie

Charlie you might want to check that out as I don't think John Wayne ever rode "Joker B" in a movie. Joker B died about the time El Dorado was filmed and was owned by Carl Miles of Abilene, Texas.

The horse in these pictures was named Zips Cochise.

One thing that I can personally testify to is if you were around John Wayne and Chill Wills when they were drinking whiskey, you needed ear plugs and a gas mask. LOL

Re: John Wayne - 06/28/20 04:10 AM

You'll need more than that pilgrim, spain!

Re: John Wayne - 06/28/20 02:58 PM

Charlie

Charlie, I just saw your post this morning .

Working at the sales barn is a great way to connect with just about everyone in the industry. And you learn a lot. I used to work at the local sales barn also, as a test rider in the arenas for potential buyers. Fun riding all types of horses and mules, and you learn fast about their quirks , and the ones I refused to ride .

Charlie, sometimes those appys that have skin pigment but doesn't transfer into the hair have a gene that can mute colour in some offspring, and magnify it to very loud colour foals in others. I knew one horse that hardly had any colour but sure made loud flashy foals !
Blue and red roans are always so pretty.

People who haven't had the ranch experiences that you and I have , and that John Wayne was around, have missed out on wonderful country life.

There's another chestnut that J.W. rode quite often in some of his movies, a very tall one. He had beautiful conformation too. One thing about modern day movies , you don't see that quality of horses very often as in Wayne's movies.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: John Wayne - 06/29/20 03:37 AM

Whining is what will bring down a people, or the country. Time for everyone to look in the mirror to find the real cause of the problem. This is and has been for long time, the easiest country in which to become successful.
You don't become successful by whining. You start by showing up at school and do your best to stay awake during class.
If a family of Asians who can't speak a lick of good English can show up over here and end up with a thriving business, anyone can.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: John Wayne - 06/29/20 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon

Charlie

Charlie, I just saw your post this morning .

Working at the sales barn is a great way to connect with just about everyone in the industry. And you learn a lot. I used to work at the local sales barn also, as a test rider in the arenas for potential buyers. Fun riding all types of horses and mules, and you learn fast about their quirks , and the ones I refused to ride .

Charlie, sometimes those appys that have skin pigment but doesn't transfer into the hair have a gene that can mute colour in some offspring, and magnify it to very loud colour foals in others. I knew one horse that hardly had any colour but sure made loud flashy foals !
Blue and red roans are always so pretty.

People who haven't had the ranch experiences that you and I have , and that John Wayne was around, have missed out on wonderful country life.

There's another chestnut that J.W. rode quite often in some of his movies, a very tall one. He had beautiful conformation too. One thing about modern day movies , you don't see that quality of horses very often as in Wayne's movies.

Neat topic Sharon, test riding at the sale barns.
When they were still packing horses in the states, they had kids out back trying the horses before killing them.
Unreal the number of good horses that slip through the cracks for whatever reason.

Or the horses at the track who pass through numerous trainers, before finding the one that can get the run out of them.
I heard some rags to riches stories of trainers and horses from the old security guards at the tracks in California.
For a good read google Sunday Silence: The Star No One Wanted

Re: John Wayne - 06/29/20 11:17 PM

Thanks for that info, dkrug.

Yes I've seen great horses that have been helped to get good homes.

I can say, I've had a hand in introducing some off the track thoroughbreds who didn't run fast but were superior jumpers to the dressage and cross country shows...a few gained international status ....and were bought for a song....just as the tales like Sea Biscuit .

One of the best barrel horses on record was bought at the yard for the price of a "nag".....

Haarses are like people...they are both physically and mentally designed to fill the niche that suits their talents best.

I will have to read Sunday Silence. Thank you.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: John Wayne - 06/30/20 07:43 PM

John Wayne was the man.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums