Home

CDAC in WI

Posted By: corky

CDAC in WI - 06/28/20 09:34 PM

This was posted in another forum. I agree:

The 2020 deer season(s) structure was recently announced. Noteworthy is the fact that the Natural Resources Board led by Kaz (as usual) chose to overturn 11 County CDAC management recommendations. Most of these dealt with antlerless harvest recommendations in Northern counties.

Irrespective of how one feels about the direction CDAC or NRB have gone with these specific management decisions, seems to me that any legitimacy the CDAC had has just gone out the window. Why invest volunteer effort in local testimony, committee membership or any other efforts for that matter when Kaz and crew continue to make capricious and (often) unscientific management decisions.

Hard to believe but Wisconsin appears to be reaching new lows in deer management decision making.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: CDAC in WI - 06/28/20 09:37 PM

If whitetails in Wisconsin are anything like whitetails in Nebraska, they don't need any management, just a lot of harvesting. Some antler restrictions would be helpful, just so some nice deer could be harvested.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: CDAC in WI - 06/28/20 09:39 PM

Can't say I'm too surprised. I'm guessing the CDACs wanted to allow more antlerless harvest and that was shot down?
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: CDAC in WI - 06/28/20 10:50 PM

Anybody have a link to the new NRB antlerless quotas? Thanks in advance.

Chris
Posted By: corky

Re: CDAC in WI - 06/28/20 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Anybody have a link to the new NRB antlerless quotas? Thanks in advance.

Chris

This what you are looking for?

https://dnr.wi.gov/Permits/bonusavailability.html
Posted By: AJE

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/10/22 04:17 AM

https://www.weau.com/2022/04/08/hunter-input-sought-proposed-2022-deer-season-framework/
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/10/22 05:15 AM

AJE, if you still think the WI DNR GAS what the hunter and trapper thinks or wants…I’m not sure what to say.

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/14/22 02:43 AM

The Holiday hunt is being proposed in my county. I don't like the idea. I'm curious how the Holiday hunt has worked out in other counties. 1 issue I see is conflict with snowmobilers.
Posted By: Kre

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/14/22 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
If whitetails in Wisconsin are anything like whitetails in Nebraska, they don't need any management, just a lot of harvesting. Some antler restrictions would be helpful, just so some nice deer could be harvested.

LOL...how many wolves do you have down there Gary? Maybe you plan a hunt on public land anywhere across Northern WI and see what the reality is.
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/14/22 12:39 PM

The Board overrode CDACs because they refused to listen to public opinion. At least on 4 of the 6.

Originally Posted by AJE
The Holiday hunt is being proposed in my county. I don't like the idea. I'm curious how the Holiday hunt has worked out in other counties. 1 issue I see is conflict with snowmobilers.

Unless you are in north, snow really is out of question for most of state most years. That said, we have refused to hold one here. We will only hold one if public demands we hold one.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/14/22 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

snow mobiles have a lot more of a mental issue with hunters than the other way around they think they are going to get shot , if a bright colored sled you can hear coming for a mile gets hit by a hunter , he was not only aiming he was leading the rider a good bit.
deer get used to sleds and trails early.
hunters wear orange you can pick them out at a good distance , don't ride circles around them all day like a wave runner harrasing a fishing boat and you got nothing to worry about.

also seldom good snow over Christmas in most of the state and the far north counties seem to have low enough deer numbers

it's Door , Manitowoc , Brown , Kewanee , ottogamie . calument , oconto shawno that need a bigger harvest

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/20/22 04:18 AM

It'll be interesting to see what happens next week w/ the Holiday hunt. In the county I hunt, I haven't heard anyone in favor of it yet.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/20/22 04:58 AM

Funny stuff...... so, GCP what is the lead on a sled at say 150 yards at 35 mph, from a 30-30 of course?

You do know I'm joking right?

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/18/23 04:19 AM

I didn't participate in this year's CDAC. I'm still frustrated over the holiday hunt that was implemented this past year.

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/23/23 04:23 AM

People seem kind of bored with CDAC. I don't hear much interest in my area. Maybe hunters are just happy with the number of deer they are seeing
Posted By: bblwi

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/23/23 03:36 PM

They went from about 80 management untis to 72. I don't call that simplifying much. We also added the county politics to the whole thing and still have all the override power above soit makes participation to have less value.
I hope they go back to the numbered management units based much more along habitat aspects and deer habitat or range in square miles for each unit. If we are going to be political about managing wildlife I am in favor of at least using science to some extent.

Bryce

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/23/23 11:04 PM

In order for it to work, it is a lot of work for those involved. Unfortunately, I am not sure the DNR has ever bought into it and that has hurt. Also didn’t help that elections for Conservation Congress delegates were not held for three years. The fact that the public in Buffalo County replaced their Chair this year shows that we took a step forward. I am just not sure where we are headed.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/23/23 11:30 PM

Well, WiMarshRat, I vowed to not get into one of your long-winded discussions about the CC this year, but the statement you made that removing the chair of Buffalo County is "a step forward" shows just how full of dung and naive you truly are. The Chair has more experience and knowledge of both the CC and deer management in Buffalo county than you or anyone replacing him will ever have. The CC is now truly in a mess and weaker than I have ever seen it in my 30 years on it. The CC is going to need the knowledge and strength of folks like him to rebuild into the future. Yet you and your ilk are still supporting the nonsensical "Input" process by uninformed public and calling it progress.

You said you "are not sure where we are headed". That is very apparent. You are blindly following a movement that will be disastrous to the WCC, the only organization of its kind in the nation. Then perhaps you and your kind will be satisfied.

Moosetrot

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/24/23 01:55 AM

After the shenanigans the Buffalo County CDAC tried pulling a few years ago with that Doe only proposal, I am happy to hear there's been a leadership change. That crap show caused a lot of people to lose confidence in CDAC.

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/24/23 02:04 AM

https://www.patrickdurkinoutdoors.com/post/wisconsin-s-deer-herd-faces-mounting-challenges

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/24/23 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
The CC is now truly in a mess and weaker than I have ever seen it in my 30 years on it.

Moosetrot

Totally agree. So let's work together to fix it instead of questioning folk's motives.

I thought holding in person elections was a step in the right direction after taking three years off from elections.

How you fixing?

Re: CDAC in WI - 04/27/23 04:26 AM

Agreed it's a mess. Here's how I would fix it: all the voting should be in person, not just the vote for delegates.

Re: CDAC in WI - 05/05/23 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Agreed it's a mess. Here's how I would fix it: all the voting should be in person, not just the vote for delegates.

I don’t necessarily agree on voting on questions, but I think delegates should be elected in-person and new resolutions submitted by public should be done in-person. If the WCC runs it through the process and is added to spring questionnaire, goal should be to get as big of input as possible on question so I don’t mind online in that case.

Here is a controversial one. Do not accept resolutions that would require legislation unless a republicans and a democrat will sign on to the resolution. Let’s actually start to find issues we can work on that will make an impact instead of trying to score political points.

That said, I had the privilege to sit in two CDAC meetings this week. CDACs made completely different decisions and I felt comfortable with both of the deliberations. I will say this, if you don’t like the outcome, get involved. Run for a seat. All the stakeholders will be looking for applications for representation this fall.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums