Home

Goldfish in stock tanks

Posted By: plainstrapping25

Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 08:18 AM

Anyone keep goldfish in stock tanks? I got a dozen other day and already lost 3. They suggested I feed pellets to them (which was actually advertised for koi) and I have been feeding. Alot of algae for them as well. Anyone got advice on it?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 10:04 AM

they'll eat themselves to death if you give them too much food.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 10:14 AM

I've kept them in small plastic "ponds" and never fed them, theres usually enough bugs, mosquito larvae, and algae to keep them going.
I'm not surprised about the loss, those 10 cent goldfish aren't much, but the survivors should toughen up and grow pretty big by winter, or, go get another dollars worth, lol
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 10:52 AM

friends put them in a swamp pond and now they have thousand of them In a few years , some are 5-6 inches long
Posted By: cotton

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 11:25 AM

i dump some in a rain barrel and never do feed em. they do fine till it rains too much and over fills the barrel
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 11:39 AM

Where I’m from we don’t use stock tanks, we just have ponds. However I was visiting a buddy out in western OK and we were checking the stock tanks to make sure they weren’t frozen and I kept noticing little brush piles sticking up out of the tanks. I inquired about cleaning the brush out of the tanks, he laughed and explained the brush was there so the gold fish could hide from the cranes and coons. He then had to explain the gold fish were there to help keep the tanks clean. He didn’t feed his fish.
Posted By: Loup loup

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 12:43 PM

I put 4-6 pumpkin seeds in every stock tank in the summer. You will never see a mosquito larva in a treated tank.
I don't like the idea of uneaten fish food in a tank. Will foul the water I beleive.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 01:19 PM

Shouldn't need to feed them much, if at all. You say you're losing them, are they dying or just gone? Herons and coon will eat them.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Loup loup
I put 4-6 pumpkin seeds in every stock tank in the summer. You will never see a mosquito larva in a treated tank.
I don't like the idea of uneaten fish food in a tank. Will foul the water I beleive.

Mosquitoes lay and hatch in shallow unmoving water
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 01:51 PM

I keep bait in a small stock tank. 4 feet across the top and 2 feet deep. Green eared sunfish mostly. I feed them a LITTLE oatmeal time to time. Enough bugs will get in they don't need much. Maybe nothing. Cold blooded animals need very few calories. A snake only eats once a week or so. I keep it in the shade. I freeze creek water in milk jugs. Cut the jug off and add a chunk of ice once in a while. I use a pretty good size aerator. Put in a couple bullheads to help keep it clean. I drop in a worm for each bullhead once a week. They usually get the worm if you drop it close to them. Good way to keep catfish bait.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 01:53 PM

Goldfish in my rain barrel 3 yrs running now.
Thought it froze solid last winter , but it was swimming come spring.
But I did start feeding it this year, flaked fish food.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 01:53 PM

Almost forgot those black perch and punkin seeds will jump out. You need to make a 1/4 inch screen cover. That way bugs still get in

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Shouldn't need to feed them much, if at all. You say you're losing them, are they dying or just gone? Herons and coon will eat them.

Dying.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 05:38 PM

Do you have a board for shade in there ?

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by dkrug
Do you have a board for shade in there ?

Cement block
Posted By: MB750

Re: Goldfish in stock tanks - 07/02/20 07:26 PM

I've used them in stock tanks for years to keep mosquito larva down. Just dump them in the tank and never feed them. Have watched them eat crumbs off the cattle's noses when they water right after feeding. Once in a while you get a die off when you allow the tank to get too low & fill it with water. I always figured it was because of change in O2 or change in temp. that caused it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums