Home

COVID parties

Posted By: yotetrapper30

COVID parties - 07/02/20 05:01 PM

I was concerned a lot about COVID at first, but I've come to realize it's way overblown. I don't wear a mask, and am not freaked out over it anymore. But this is just plain stupid!

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/al...jmDlwoS1rUOE8fg_Y9mYCu88HmFWPWKqfYZZL-pU

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (NEXSTAR/AP) — Officials in an Alabama city said several college students organized “COVID-19 parties” as a contest to see who would get the virus first.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students hosted the parties to intentionally infect each other with the new coronavirus. McKinstry said party organizers purposely invited guests who tested positive for COVID-19.

“They put money in a pot, and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense,” she said, according to the New York Post.

Tuscaloosa Fire Chief Randy Smith confirmed the incidents to the City Council on Tuesday.

Smith didn’t say whether actions would be taken against the students. He also didn’t say which schools the students attend.

“It makes me furious,” McKinstry said in an interview with CNN. “Furious to the fact that something that is so serious and deadly is being taken for granted. Not only is it irresponsible, but you could contract the virus and take it home to your parents or grandparents.”

Alabama has reported about 39,000 coronavirus cases, and its death toll is approaching 1,000.
Posted By: Savell

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 05:10 PM

.... I guess you split the money in the event of a tie? Do they time stamp positive test result documents? It might be hard to manage that contest
Posted By: Dirt

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 05:12 PM

I'm glad to read that you are looking at corona calmly and reasonably now. I wish everybody did.

I agree that having flu parties as a contest is stupid, there are good reasons for young people to have flu parties when there is no vaccine and government regulations are burdensome to people who have not been infected, and a disease is mild when contracted at a young age.

It is also an option when you want to control the time frame that you are infected.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 05:13 PM

I think there's more to it than winning the pot.

I've heard of these parties for young people too. They are healthy and will probably not become seriously ill. By getting it, they become immune and can no longer become infected or infect anyone else. Live gets back to normal for them.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 05:54 PM

more spikes in numbers = better for dems' agenda.
Posted By: hippie

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

And the media's.

So far, they are calling it a "spike" in cases, but without the number being tested, it could be dropping. (Percentage wise)
Posted By: walleye101

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 06:03 PM

I believe it was a fairly common practice for some diseases like chicken pox to intentionally infect kids when young to obtain resistence.
Posted By: EdP

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 06:09 PM

Mumps in particular was something you needed to get as a kid because post puberty it could cause you to become sterile. Now there is a vaccine.

The medical community has forgotten how they used to deal with infectious disease prior to vaccines.

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

The Republicans need to control the agenda if they want to win. Contract for America II. Not meaningless stuff line MAGA or Hope and Change.
Posted By: corky

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 06:39 PM

It's Alabama. Not surprising.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 06:49 PM

Gotta have something to do when you run out of Tide Pods to eat?? smile

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
I think there's more to it than winning the pot.

I've heard of these parties for young people too. They are healthy and will probably not become seriously ill. By getting it, they become immune and can no longer become infected or infect anyone else. Live gets back to normal for them.

I don't think this is accurate, though. Maybe someone with medical knowledge can chime in, but I'm sure I've heard of people getting it more than once already. If it was the case that once you got it you couldn't get or carry it again, then yes, I'd agree all healthy people should get it over with as soon as possible.

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 09:02 PM

"With the four seasonal coronaviruses that circulate most every winter, protection lasts as little as 80 days to as long as a year or two, maybe three," Poland said.

I think this is the worse case scenario. ^^^^^^^^^

"The two pandemic coronaviruses, SARS and MERS, do prompt the creation of antibodies that linger in the bloodstream for two to three years, Poland said."

Best case scenario.^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 09:31 PM

When I was a kid parents had chicken pox parties. Relatively harmless at a young age and then immune. Terrible at an older age. Sounds slot like the covid to me
Posted By: bblwi

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 09:40 PM

As an older and higher risk person the messages they are relating to me is stay home and keep my money at home too. No reason to financially support groups or businesses that take pride in adding risk factors to those with higher risk.

Bryce
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 09:51 PM

it makes sense to me. of course when i was a kid and somebody got the mumps, chicken pox, or 3 day measels, all the moms would haul whatever kid hadnt had it yet over to play/spend the night with the infected kid. that form of immunization works too
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 09:57 PM

Any future COVID19 vaccine is gonna be about that effective too. 80 days to 3 years...maybe.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 09:58 PM

Southern kids aren't too bright.
Posted By: cheechako

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 10:10 PM

Riverotter2 these your kinfolks??

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner

May be smarter than you give em credit for...
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by PAskinner

May be smarter than you give em credit for...

How do you figure?
Posted By: Savell

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 10:42 PM

.... has a champion been named yet... is it a playoff system or what?
Posted By: cheechako

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by corky
It's Alabama. Not surprising.

Easy there Chief...
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: COVID parties - 07/02/20 11:52 PM

It's so unlike young people to laugh in the face of authority
Still time to get in Savell
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 02:07 AM

Any future COVID19 vaccine is gonna be about that effective too. 80 days to 3 years...maybe.

No vaccine is needed. Just wear a mask and you're good.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 03:11 AM

Ok, seen a lot of threads on here about “herd immunity” and how we need it to spread so we could all get back to work and normal lives...and now someone does it and everyone condemns them. This is about as good as CNN.

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 03:35 AM

Well there's all different kinds of people on here, Wannabe. You have the people who think you're an arse if you leave the house without a mask on, and then the people that think the entire thing is a hoax. I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't agree with shutting the country down, and it should be up to the person whether or not they wear a mask. But I also was taught as a child not to tempt fate. I think these kids will be fine, but if they visit elderly family members, they may not be.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

No vaccine is needed. Just wear a mask and you're good.

Hey- don't forget you cant go to Trump rallies either. SMDH whistle
Posted By: goatman

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 12:40 PM

[img]https://www.thevillagersvoice.com/judge-mchaney-says-it-beautifully-in-friday-afternoon-case/[/img]
The judge overseeing the law suit against the IL gov just reopened the state. The gov clearly overreached his authority.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 12:48 PM

For those who don't like to click on links, everyone should read this:

Chief Judge Michael McHaney of Clay County had this to say at the conclusion of the case he heard yesterday afternoon (Mainer v Pritzker) in the Clay County courtroom:

“Since the inception of this insanity, the following regulations, rules or consequences have occurred: I won't get COVID if I get an abortion, but I will get COVID if I get a colonoscopy. Selling pot is essential, but selling goods and services at a family owned business is not. Pot wasn't even legal and pot dispensaries didn't even exist in this state until five months ago and, in that five months, they have become essential, but a family-owned business in existence for five generations is not.

A family of six can pile in their car and drive to Carlyle Lake without contracting COVID but, if they all get in the same boat, they will. We are told that kids rarely contract the virus and sunlight kills it, but summer youth programs, sports programs are cancelled. Four people can drive to the golf course and not get COVID but, if they play in a foursome, they will. If I go to Walmart, I won't get COVID but, if I go to church, I will. Murderers are released from custody while small business owners are threatened with arrest if they have the audacity to attempt to feed their families.

These are just a few of examples of rules, regulations and consequences that are arbitrary, capricious, and completely devoid of anything even remotely approaching common sense.

State's attorneys in this state, county sheriffs, mayors, city councils and county boards have openly and publicly defied these orders followed by threats to withhold funding and revocation of necessary licenses and certifications unless you obey. Our economy is shut down because of a flu virus with a 98 percent plus survival rate. Doctors and experts say different things weekly. The defendant cites models in his opposition. The only thing experts will agree on is that all models are wrong and some are useful.

The Centers for Disease Control now says the virus is not easily spread on surfaces. The defendant in this case orders you to stay home and pronounces that, if you leave the state, you are putting people in danger, but his family members traveled to Florida and Wisconsin because he deems such travel essential. One initial rationale why the rules don't apply to him is that his family farm had animals that needed fed. Try selling that argument to farmers who have had to slaughter their herds because of disruption in the supply chain.

When laws do not apply to those who make them, people are not being governed, they are being ruled. Make no mistake, these executive orders are not laws. They are royal decrees. Illinois citizens are not being governed, they are being ruled. The last time I checked, Illinois citizens are also Americans and Americans don't get ruled. The last time a monarch tried to rule Americans, a shot was fired that was heard around the world. That day led to the birth of a nation consensually governed based upon a document which ensures that on this day in this, any American courtroom tyrannical despotism will always lose and liberty, freedom and the constitution will always win.”—Judge Michael D. McHaney, Clay County court, Mainer v. Pritzker, argued May 22, 2020.

Thank you, Judge McHaney. You said it beautifully.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 01:21 PM

That is some good comparisons in the article Walleye, those line of thoughts go hand in hand with the idea that to burn a persons house or business down will make him sympathetic to ones grievances, and to get even more sympathy to their grievance expect the taxpayer to pay for it.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
I believe it was a fairly common practice for some diseases like chicken pox to intentionally infect kids when young to obtain resistence.

Pox isn't deadly
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 01:48 PM

All the repercussions on the young and the the damages are not known. I remember the polio days and no one was having polio parties. I remember if I just had a leg ache my mom would get all upset.
Posted By: washxc

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 03:38 PM

Actually 330, prior to vaccination chicken pox killed an average of 100-150 children per year according to the CDC. Pediatric deaths from Covid-19 were at 20 last I looked, though actual data from the CDC is very hard to find. Pediatric flu deaths for the 2019-2020 season were 174 as reported by the CDC. Can't remember ever shutting down the schools for the flu, which appears to be an order of magnitude more dangerous than Covid for children.
Posted By: Actor

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 03:49 PM

My hope would be that anyone that is foolish enough to take the stupid risk... will be granted their wish and the whole dam bunch of catch the virus and die a slow and painful death. They are a bunch of idiots. Actually their deaths would be a blessing to the gene pool.

Garry-
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 03:59 PM

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-parties-are-not-a-thing/

maybe just maybe, the covid party thing is not true

Re: COVID parties - 07/03/20 07:21 PM

[/quote]
How do you figure?[/quote]
Very high odds are that if they get the virus they will overcome it with little to no effects. They will likely be good to go for at least a few years. People play the lottery everyday with much poorer odds. I think their theory related to contracting/surviving this virus is smarter than most scared mask wearers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums