Home

My wife wants to learn to shoot

Posted By: Bogmaster

My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 12:27 AM

We were just watching Fox news on the Missouri couple whose gated community was broken into.
After watching it,my wife of4 40 plus years,asked me to teach her to shoot.In all these years she has never shown any interest in learning to fire a gun
The daughters all learned ,and all own fire arms. So when this heat breaks,the lessons will begin for my wife. She has no qualms about pulling the trigger on anyone who tries to break into our property. Been a long time a coming,but these lunatics have pushed her to be able to protect herself---and she also wears a mask when going out in public.
Tom
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 12:42 AM

She hold her temper well? Lol i got worried after I showed mine years ago 😂

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 12:48 AM

You don't want to get her mad.
Many years ago,I asked my father in law if he taught my mother in law to shoot,his reply---are you crazy? I would be the first one she shot...Knowing him,I guess he was probably right.
Tom
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 12:49 AM

Congratulations!… The most important thing is to start her with a 22 caliber the first time so she learns that it doesn’t hurt and it doesn’t kick hard and not to be intimidated by a little bit of recoil and sound. Then go up to a 380 or then maybe 9 mm or 38 special.
Hearing protection is a must as well. Even with the 22.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 12:53 AM

Good advice.

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 12:55 AM

John,been there with 3 daughters--2 of which have carry permits.
But while I own several .22s and that's what I will start with. I don't own any other hand guns(couldn't use them on the trap line so I had no use for them).Next step will be 20 gauge with low base shells. I won't bother with the 12's.
Tom
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 01:20 AM

everybody needs to learn the basics of firearm handling. when you need one you wont have time to learn.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 01:55 AM

Congrats
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Congratulations!… The most important thing is to start her with a 22 caliber the first time so she learns that it doesn’t hurt and it doesn’t kick hard and not to be intimidated by a little bit of recoil and sound. Then go up to a 380 or then maybe 9 mm or 38 special.

The most important thing if she is shooting a Simi auto make sure she is not wearing anything with a v neck that a casing can go down. Those things are hot and accidents happen. Speaking from experience and 9mm full metal jacket doesn't even slow a guy down if you hit the leg

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 03:20 AM

.22 revolvers only.
Tom
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 03:43 AM

Tom-I bought my wife a Ruger LCR in .22 Mag. Fine little gun that does not have an exposed hammer and has a very good-feeling grip. I went with a revolver for her because her medical condition makes it really tough for her to rack a slide. I do a lot of gun shows and when she came along she held a lot of handguns and that's the one she settled on. All she needs to do is to hit a paper plate at about 7 yds.

Good luck and congrats!

Moosetrot
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 03:57 AM

I agree a revolver easy one step process and no safety to mess with the mind or shotgun train with light loads.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 04:38 AM

Good deal Tom
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 04:45 AM

Kel-Tec PMR-30 is the perfect gun for this IMO. Virtually no recoil and LOTS of rounds before reloading.

Posted By: Yukon John

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
You don't want to get her mad.
Many years ago,I asked my father in law if he taught my mother in law to shoot,his reply---are you crazy? I would be the first one she shot...Knowing him,I guess he was probably right.
Tom

Teach her to shoot well, and you won't have to worry...1 shot 1 kill (even YOU).

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 06:16 AM

After 46 years together I am not worried about myself LOL. Think I will wean her into the 20 pump,easier than the auto loader and a bit easier on the shoulder than the 12s.
If it wasn't so hot we could have a bang up fourth.
Tom
Posted By: MChewk

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 12:24 PM

Good post Tom as we are in same mind frame here...protection.
Here’s my concern....where exactly to place the home defense gun...guns?
No grand kids yet but just thinking out loud here....bed room, kitchen and on your person?
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 12:47 PM

Mike
1 on top of fridge under a lil towel
1 in main living area in a drawer or tween cushions or on top of a cupboard/display case
1 in bedroom that can be reached from bed.
There are also mini vaults that u can install under a drawer that your fingers hit buttons to pop open the door and only hold 1 gun.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 01:08 PM

.410 Judge?
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 01:13 PM

Tom
My wife learned to shoot when she was in her teens her dad had her take hunter safety. Has her own 12ga duck gun a glock 40 cal and smith&wesson 380 body guard. Hasn't really shot any of her gun the last couple years. When ever she gets the feeling she wants a gun handy. I set her shotgun where she can find it and set hand full shell by it. She is most comfortable with just picking that back up cold and handling it.. She had a CCP but let it expire because just didn't carry like she first thought she would.. I wanted her to have it so she could put my gun in her rut sack she calls a purse.
My daughter also knows how to shoot but doesn't have any guns in her house. Her couple of guns are here in one my cabinets.
Anyway don't hurt for them gals to know how handle gun..

Mac
Posted By: MChewk

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 01:30 PM

Thanks guys...will consider it
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 01:39 PM

Bogmaster I have belong to a local Sportsmens clib for about 30 years now Some years before I join they had from what I have been told a long and often heat discussion over a vote to allow women as members of the club .After a finally vote women where now permitted to become members, If we enjoy the outdoors ,shooting,hunting ,trapping etc .why would we not want others to have the same kinds of experiences . ALSO today there are many single parent homes .Often time the woman of the house will be the one deciding if her children will be allowed to go hunting or not And beyond all of that is something every man woman and child should know .Reckless handing of firearms leads to tragedy way to often I n order to help keep our 2nd amendment right we all need to do a better job of getting women n involved
Posted By: Scout1

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 02:08 PM

Get her a red Ryder BB gun that will allow her to become used to using open sights. Very cheap to shoot. Then get her a .44 mag pistol.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Originally Posted by traprjohn

The most important thing if she is shooting a Simi auto make sure she is not wearing anything with a v neck that a casing can go down. Those things are hot and accidents happen. Speaking from experience and 9mm full metal jacket doesn't even slow a guy down if you hit the leg

Was at a shooting match years ago and watched a man run through the stage with a 38 1911 about halfway through he grabbed his face but continued to the end of the stage, he just happened to have an ejected she’ll go up his nose, had to give him credit for being a tough sob even though he didn’t win or even Place I would really hate to go up against him for real

Tom good for you and hopefully your wife family finds she enjoys shooting as a new sport
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 02:36 PM

As 22 magnums are loaded with slow burning rifle powder the muzzle flash and blast are intimidating i had a amt in 22 mag
Being your into revolvers starting with 22 lr you can move up to a 38/357 the load variations are limitless as are the guns available
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 02:40 PM

My wife growed up coon hunting with her dad. She shot from a young age.
When we got married, she could shoot a pistol with the best of'em. We have
raised 3 kids and all started pulling a trigger (22) while still in dippers. For the last
12 or 13 years we have helped with hunters ed. Now 2 of them help teach it with us.
We help with several clubs that involve getting kids into the outdoors. I believe if
some of us older folk don't try and get kids and women involved, it's going to be a thing of the past.

Donnie
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 04:01 PM

I have a .410 judge you would be surprised how smooth it shoots its heavy but my 12 yo has no trouble with the recoil and target acquistion, now when loaded with the 45 shells that's a different story
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 05:52 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wild_WI
I have a .410 judge you would be surprised how smooth it shoots its heavy but my 12 yo has no trouble with the recoil and target acquistion, now when loaded with the 45 shells that's a different story

if you don't load it with 45 what is the point of carrying it ?

just doesn't seem like we have enough snakes in WI to bother carrying snake gun.

the week after my son turned 12 he started shooting action pistol , he had been shooting center-fire handgun since he was 9 and 22lr handgun at some point before that.
his first run at action pistol he was smooth and deliberate I told him make hits don't worry about going fast , smooth is fast , he started laying down steel bang , bang , bang and it was smooth with not one miss about a second between hits about his 6th strait hit on steel a guy who had been talking with others had heard enough and turned around surprised and said wait how old is this kid he got a lot of complements.

he has been getitng faster and faster over

haven't shot much action pistol this year with covid , but he was right on my heals for time on a bunch of stages he was 16 and started drawing form a holster.

smooth is fast

he runs a glock 17
Posted By: patfundine

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/03/20 07:19 PM

This seems like a perfect opportunity to purchase a new gun.....or 3. She needs one to learn with, one to carry, and at least a back up.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/04/20 02:31 AM

My wife loves to shoot. I've got her shooting trap on a weekly basis. She has shot every rifle, shotgun, and handgun that I own, She especially loves the .45ACP's. I've taken her to at least a couple Permit to Carry classes, and of course she easily passed, including the live fire range component. Still, she declines to apply for the actual permit. She has said, and believed she could never shoot anyone.

Lately, though, I've seen a little change in attitude. Looters, beware.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/06/20 01:31 PM

great news!!!! my wife knows guns and has hunted a little. I tried to teach her how to shoot a pistol and become a better all around shooter
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/06/20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
As 22 magnums are loaded with slow burning rifle powder the muzzle flash and blast are intimidating i had a amt in 22 mag
Being your into revolvers starting with 22 lr you can move up to a 38/357 the load variations are limitless as are the guns available

Recent technology if your wife decides she wants to find an "in-between" Tom.

The revolvers made for concealed carry are now offered in traditionally pistol rounds- in this case I want you to know how impressed I am with the 9mm made by Ruger and off course lots of gun makers. These light wt revolvers only weigh about a pound unloaded so shooting a .38 isn't what you would consider fun and neither would your wife. The 9mm has a lot more projectile than a .22 or .22 mag, is designed to shoot out of a short barrel, and has almost no kick. A child could shoot it effectively and enjoy it. These designs include low profile external hammers and internal hammers. There is NO safety on the one I have as my back up to the 938 but the trigger pull is long.

I know that sounds like a turn off but trust me when I say you wont mind. Ruger has come a long way. The long trigger travel is the safety and it is very smooth all the way thru the pull. With the external hammer you can (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) it and shoot very accurately. In a moment of panic (someone is basically on top of you) the double action might make all the difference.

Here is a hint if you go the LCR (light wt, compact revolver)- put it in a sticky holster- this completely covers and protects the trigger / guard assembly and renders it very safe to carry. The light weight design ensures that you wont get tired of carrying it (say in a purse) and take it out right before you actually needed it.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/06/20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
My wife loves to shoot. I've got her shooting trap on a weekly basis. She has shot every rifle, shotgun, and handgun that I own, She especially loves the .45ACP's. I've taken her to at least a couple Permit to Carry classes, and of course she easily passed, including the live fire range component. Still, she declines to apply for the actual permit. She has said, and believed she could never shoot anyone.

Lately, though, I've seen a little change in attitude. Looters, beware.

Good for herself, and your encouragement, that she loves the .45 . I carry a compact SDX .45 easily , extended magazine plus two more extra.

When Browning invented the 1911, he knew what he was doing, to stop any drugged up individual,or scatter an angry mob.

Hollow points make sure the action ceases with much better speed . And in a situation such as what has been transpiring across the country, serious calibers are invaluable.

In home defense, nothing has as much respect instantly, as the sound of a Mossburg pump chambering .

No one wants to pull the trigger, but there is the time to feel the need. The fact that anyone is seen pushing your personal safety rights as a human , clearly approaching to do harm, dictates the need , even before they get close enough for physical contact.

It is all a matter of mindset. Forethought in mental planning helps that mindset.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot - 07/06/20 03:54 PM

good quality 22 auto cant be overlooked as a starter gun either might be a selection at a gunshop that she can handle and fits her better than a wheelgun My wife liked my Beretta 70s Maybe cause it was a small pistol and she felt more comfortable
© 2024 Trapperman Forums