Home

aluminum camp stove griddle

Posted By: Ole

aluminum camp stove griddle - 07/05/20 03:30 AM

Going on a 2 week float in AK (hopefully) and have to watch weight for the Beaver ride to a lake. Anyone have a favorite that they like that fits a Triton stove? TX
Posted By: MJM

Re: aluminum camp stove griddle - 07/05/20 01:25 PM

I would scratch the idea of a griddle if I was worried about weight. They are too limited in what can be cooked on them. Just take a frying pan instead. Its much more versatile. I have camped for months remote more than once and never once wished I had a griddle. If I would not have had a fry pan that would have been bad. What do you plan on cooking on a griddle that can not be cooked in a fry pan?
Posted By: Osky

Re: aluminum camp stove griddle - 07/05/20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
I would scratch the idea of a griddle if I was worried about weight. They are too limited in what can be cooked on them. Just take a frying pan instead. Its much more versatile. I have camped for months remote more than once and never once wished I had a griddle. If I would not have had a fry pan that would have been bad. What do you plan on cooking on a griddle that can not be cooked in a fry pan?

This. I have tried a couple of very expensive griddles for groups I’ve guided and they all ended up warping.

Osky
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: aluminum camp stove griddle - 07/05/20 02:20 PM

carbon steel skillet , you can cook a lot more different things and they hold up well and offer great versatility for the weight
Posted By: Loup loup

Re: aluminum camp stove griddle - 07/05/20 02:35 PM

I've never owned a griddle. Been sittin here thinking, cant think of any reason I'd need one.
Posted By: Loup loup

Re: aluminum camp stove griddle - 07/05/20 03:02 PM

As I understand griddle theory, a griddle is ment to spread even heat over a relativly large area. An aluminum griddle would not do this aluminum would not conduct the heat evenly over the entire cooking surface. It would be hot over the flame and warm forwards the edge. School me if Im wrong!
The only aluminum implement I use would maybe be a pot to boil coffee or water in.
Have a good trip.

Re: aluminum camp stove griddle - 07/05/20 04:22 PM

I agree with the warp and heat transferl comments. Looking for that magic answer!!! Griddle used for hash browns and eggs(freeze dried), fry/steam/bake silver salmon fillets under foil, pancakes 6 people I'll check the carbon steel suggestion. Maybe two large fry pans? Thank you all.
Posted By: white17

Re: aluminum camp stove griddle - 07/05/20 05:06 PM

6 people in a beaver with all their gear ? You're gonna need more than one flight

Re: aluminum camp stove griddle - 07/05/20 09:37 PM

Two flights out of Bethel. I hope none of our crew tests positive in the 72 hour before arrival in ANC mandated test!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums